Training Treats

just curious as to what everyone uses for treats. Hamish seems more motivated with food than toys.

I got a pack of natures goodness grain free treats which he really seems keen for but they are really hard. Has anyone tried heating them up to make them softer?

A lot of people recommend cabanossi but that seems pretty messy. I normally use cheese but think meat have more drive.

My standard treat is Goodo's broken into halves or quarters (same consistency as Smacko type things but way cheaper).

For high distraction, new difficult things, new dog recall, anything really challenging cheese, hot dogs, cabanossi, cooked chicken, 4 Legs, all cut into pea sized pieces.

Goodo's and other dry stuff go straight in the treat pouch, the messier stuff goes into a zip lock bag first.

If i see those really paper thin minute steaks on special at the supermarket I buy those, cook them quickly and chop them up. They work great.

TSD, how does boiled egg go? Do you only use the whites so the yolk doesn't smoosh all through your treat bag? I've thought about it heaps of times but it's always seemed like a bad idea? Or do you just over boil it?

Dried cat food in an emergency. (My dog would steal it from the cat if she had the opportunity) It's really convenient, but is not good for dogs in large amounts. :)

eta it's not messy either.

Edited by sarsaparilla

I use lots of different things & try to vary them. At the moment I am using VIP Chunkers cut in half, sprinkled with Worsteshire Sauce & baked in the oven. The dogs are going nuts over them. I am also using Woolies Ham & Chicken Roll or Devon cut into 1cm cubes, mixed with a bit of oil & minced garlic & oven roasted. The good thing about the chunkers & the chicken roll is that they don't fall to pieces. I always pop some dried natural treats, like kangaroo, in my pocket when I go for a walk, so that I always have something on me to reward a good recall etc. I get my dried treats from Loyalty Pet Treats, because they are local & all natural & they have some really unusual varieties. :)

For training purposes, I think soft treats are the go - small - not crumbly. You want to be able to deliver a heap of them sometimes very quickly if you're jackpotting, and even for one at a time - you want the dog able to eat them quickly so the work can go on.

I get my local deli to cut the chicken sandwich loaf into about 1cm slices - so then I can just dice them. Chicken flavour but no crumbles. For cheese, I recommend a 50% reduced fat cheese made by Bega, so at least the fat content is reduced significantly, although probably not the salt.

I've been buying those vacuum sealed miracle Mac marinated chicken breasts and dicing them, but this is giving me some great ideas.

Also cheese sticks that you can pull into strings, they break off into nice chunks

I tried making some Salmon Crack to use as treats tonight. I was reading its meant to be really liked so I thought I'd give it a go.

It's basically a tin of salmon, 2 eggs and two cups of flour. I also added some garlic and a tin of sardines. I flattened it on baking paper and cooked it for 25 minutes on 180.

When it cooled it was squishy, smelly and really easy to cut in tiny pieces. I was tempted to get it myself lol. There's probably a healthier alternative to flour though?

20150414_143503_zpsb6v1auym.jpg

20150414_164637_zpsy84pnh3l.jpg

Great idea! How big was the tin?

It was a large biscuit tray. I just plopped the mixture on the baking paper, wet my hands and pressed it down. I was reading you can cook it longer if your dog likes crunchy treats but I think it would be a bit harder to cut into small pieces.

I'm thinking I might put some in zip lock bags and see how it freezes because I imagine it would have a pretty limited shelf life and it made quite a bit.