Feeding Bowl Issues

Stitch

I have a 13yo senior citizen who has a very restricted diet due to an ongoing medical problems.

Unfortunately she is on Hills z/d dry and also the I/d canned food....so choice of diet or variations are not an option.

Her appetite is not always the best but I can usually get her to eat the dry food.... she does go off the canned on a regular basis.

I always know that she needs a break from the canned because she puts her nose in the dish and pushes the food around similar to burying it.

As you can imagine this creates a yucky mess on the kitchen tiles. She also does this with the dry food but as I feed that separately it isn't as big an issue as the canned food.

I have tried putting the non skid dog dish on a non slip placemat but she works at it until the placemat covers the food and the food coats the floor. She gets the food over the floor as well as all over her nose and in her fur....then she wipes it on the loungeroom carpet!!! :eek:

Can anyone think of something that I can do to stop this or at least stop the dry food from being pushed out of the bowl and around the floor?

Well for me to offer advice on feeding is a bit rich :laugh: :laugh: but I have one dog, the only one ever, who would eat until he bursts. I bought him a little slow feeder which really does slow him down. I know your problems isn't gulping the food down, but my thinking is that maybe the design of a slow feeder would prevent your little dog from pushing the food around.

Yep, that's what I do however I was hoping that someone may have some brilliant idea so that I didn't have to lurk.

She hates me lurking or any noise around her when she eats.... :shhh: sigh!

Sorry, DDD looks like we posted at the same time. I will race off and have a look at a slow feeder.

Edited by Stitch

Lasagna dishes are no obstacle as she can push dry and wet food up a right angle dish and over the top!

I have ordered one of the slow feeder dishes .... it looks like it may stop the nose getting right into the bowl.

Thanks for that idea DDD. :thumbsup:

I looked at those ones Veh but chose the blue non slip slow eater bowls mainly because they were non slip plus they were available in Australia so I didn't have to wait too long for them.

It may be that I will end up with a range of food bowls though as those look really interesting. :laugh:

It may be that I will end up with a range of food bowls though as those look really interesting. :laugh:

Ha ha. Me too.

My slow feeder (I googled around trying to find similar to show you) just has different levels of raised bits. I think your little girl will quickly master the ones that look like mazes :laugh:

Let us know how you go.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

Cut the food amounts right back to a couple of tablespoons and feed out the back on cement.

sounds a good plan :)

I don't really understand why, if the dog is feeling nauseous , or full , or bored , that a different bowl will help? her instinct is to bury the leftovers, and she will try , regardless ...

Hmmm, time will tell about the food bowl but I have to try it.

Some days the food disappears with only a small amount of pushing...other days she gets the non slip mat that is underneath the bowl and puts it over the food in the bowl...and other times most of it ends up being pushed onto the floor.

It isn't as if she is overfed, it is just that she is old and has ongoing gut problems. Even though she has issues eating her food initially, the food will usually all be eaten within 1 hour. I guess she is hungry but also feeling a bit off at the same time.

With all her problems she is very much loved so I try to do the best for her and work around her funny ways! :walkdog:

Stitch, someone on my thread about Danny suggested Lactose Free Milk. Danny still has lots of problems, but along with other things, Lactose Free Milk has proved a winner. He will always lap some up and I mix it with bone broth and know he is getting a lot of nutrition.

Short of tipping over the bowl, your little girl would have a problem hiding it under or on the carpet LOL.

Just a suggestion which might help with lessening the constant mess you are having to clean up.

wondering if she would eat food out of a kong... that would be hard to push the food out without eating it.

putting the food in the fridge first might make it seem nicer to eat. Personally I find some food when frozen or in the fridge - reduces the intensity of the flavour or smell, which with some food - can be a good thing.