Teaching Personal Space

Hey folks!

Yet another help question from me.

Ernie barrelled into me from behind today during his off leash period. He knocked me flying and I've now got a broken wrist and badly torn tendons in my right ankle.

Before, I would wave him off when he got too close but he simply either forgets in the heat of play or just doesn't get it.

How do you teach a dog to respect a safe distance around you? If I hadn't had a friend with me to help me up - i'd still be lying there, while moss grew over my slowly stiffening body.

I was extremely angry with him when I got up - but of course, that's far too late - he doesn't know what he's in trouble for.

If I can't get him to understand that he cannot knock into me as I'm quite unsteady on my feet - I won't be able to walk him and that will break my heart.

And please, no criticisms about how I should have gotten a more suitable dog for my disabilities - I realise that now. But I'm not giving him up.

Thanks.

Edited by Stressmagnet

OMG you poor thing! I can't believe you broke your wrist! Like you need more drama!

I'm not really sure, but will be reading with interest - I get so sick of Nixon standing on my feet all the time.

But, I always make sure I'm sitting down when we're at the park - all their brains seem to go out the window when they're racing around with each other...

My dog is really good at using people to wipe off her pursing friends ie she will start a game of chase me with something big and slow turning, and then run between a group of people after making a tight turn or making a tight turn after and invariably - if the people are not paying attention - the slow turning dog will crash tackle all the people.

In my dog's mind - she wins the game of chase me, but it's not much fun for the dog or people in the crash.

So I will yell "Oi oi oi oi" by way of a sound signal to look where you're going. As long as you start loud enough and when unco dog is still far enough to correct his direction... it works.

But if evil hound uses people to end the game, I put her on lead so it won't happen again that day. Ie she's allowed to play zoomies but not if she's going to lead other dogs into crashes.

You could improve Ernie's agility and ability to avoid crashes with some body awareness work but it won't teach him to look where he's going. Hence the yelling works quite well, as well as ending the game should he zoom around people or anything else he might crash into.

I've seen some serious injuries (dog and human) result from crash tackles and it's a good idea to reduce the risk any way you can.

having been knocked on my a**** a few times by labs - I sympathise .Worst I had was concussion .

:( :( I am so sorry you have significant injury .

I think ,at this stage you would benefit from professional help - it's harder to observe/teach/learn when you are alone & wary

:hug::kissbetter:

Ouch! He must have hit you like a freight train!

Would he survive without off lead park time? At least then he's not in a situation where he's so terribly excited he forgets himself which would be safest for you both?

Or maybe off lead time only if one of the kids can come with you so you can stay seated and they can do the running around if they need to?

Its hard when you see them burning off steam or having fun but if it means you might avoid walking him I'm sure he'd prefer tamer onlead time only? Good luck with the injury and whatever way you go training wise!

And please, no criticisms about how I should have gotten a more suitable dog for my disabilities - I realise that now. But I'm not giving him up.

Thanks.

Oh horseshite! Haha.

I have tripped over mum's little dogs, been knocked over by my whippet x and many other much smaller dogs.

I think your choice is fine, he's a doofy puppy still, it's learning for everyone. Hope someone has some good ideas, I have perfected going limp when Gus used to crash into the back of my legs. The more you resist, the more likely you are to fall like a sack of poo.

He did grow out of it, isn't much of a runner now, happier to wander next to us or swim alongside us.

No helpful advice from me really, just sympathy.

I've seen a lab do his shoulder by slamming into a park bench with concrete feet.

It's not your fault Stressmagnet. Labs only look where they're going after they've been trained as guide dogs for several years.

You do have to choose and manage... Ie zoomies come with risks - so you can

- stand on the park bench - and take him to the vet when he slams into it

- yell at him as he approaches (works for me but you have to pay attention)

- keep him on lead or put him on lead if there is any risk of zoomies or you can't pay attention while he's zooming...

- teach him to look where he's going and to be more agile. I know how to teach more agile but not to teach to look where they're going. best I can do is teach her she's not getting her dinner until she looks at it. But she keeps checking me to see when I'm going to give her permission to eat it... we crashed into the side of a chute-tunnel last time we were at training cos she was looking at me not where she was going.

Thank you all for not judging me. I do feel like an idiot. And Ernie's doing the head tilt as I hobble around so i know he thinks it's nothing to do with HIM.

The thing is - he crashed into me from behind at full tilt. Honestly, did he think I was some bendy wobbly thing that would bounce back up like those dancing air men at the car lots that fascinate him so?

I'd pay a million bucks to get inside that dog's head.

Whirl a lead or use a walking pole to force him to give space.

If he's in total zoom mode, find a tree or a fence for your back.

I doubt it will make you feel any better but I've had a broken wrist and a broken ankle from being hit by dogs in two separate incidents. Not my dogs though.

I've also retrieved and taken a friend to hospital after her 'playful' Boxers broke her collarbone by knocking her over.

It happens. :(

ETA: Oh, and NEVER turn your back on them. That's how I broke my ankle. crying.gif

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Freaking heck Stressy!!! Hugs for healing xxx

Does he tug? I was thinking you could teach him to target the tug - give the little rascal something to think about. Both my dogs are SUPER careful about personal space but I notice that often Labs and GSPs for example are not so much. Not sure if it's a breed thing or an individual thing or a training thing to be honest.

did he think I was some bendy wobbly thing that would bounce back up like those dancing air men at the car lots that fascinate him so?

I'd be willing to bet he was as surprised as you were when the crash happened.

Like letting Stevie Wonder do car racing... he just wasn't looking where he was going. If there was another dog involved - probably looking at that.

Hence pay attention - paired with Oi OI OI as dog approaches, or dog on lead if you want to be safe and can't pay attention.

And the more dogs doing zoomies - the tricker it gets because you can only look in one direction at once.

If I'm at the beach I will sometimes wade out into the water because she can't crash tackle once I get to about knee deep - it really slows her down.

Ok.

I'm going to dust off my cane which I put away after I finally learned to walk again properly (not like a drunk). I swore I'd never use it again but I refuse to EVER yell at my chocolate idiot again the way I did yesterday.

My wrist is in s spiffy cast and my ankle is taped up and I'm purple all down one side. Time to stop being so damn vain and use my cane. It will help stabilise me on uneven ground -- and I can wave it like I'm an 84 year old man every time he comes too near.

Honestly. I'm not going to change him. Labs are boisterous. I knew that when I picked him. But j can make him aware of me and my whacking stick. (Not that I'm planning to do any whacking).

Then, I'm going to put some $$ aside and get a good trainer to come out with me on off leash. There's no point in having them in my home or on leash - because the beautiful boofa behaves like a dream. They'd think I was nuts as he sat/dropped/stayed and respected my kitchen space, went to his bed on command and waited for his food.

Seriously, if I wasn't so damaged, it wouldn't bother me. So I fell down, so what? But if he knocks me down when I'm on my own, they won't find my body for months. And he'd probably eat me because, well, he's a lab.

Ok.

I'm going to dust off my cane which I put away after I finally learned to walk again properly (not like a drunk). I swore I'd never use it again but I refuse to EVER yell at my chocolate idiot again the way I did yesterday.

My wrist is in s spiffy cast and my ankle is taped up and I'm purple all down one side. Time to stop being so damn vain and use my cane. It will help stabilise me on uneven ground -- and I can wave it like I'm an 84 year old man every time he comes too near.

Honestly. I'm not going to change him. Labs are boisterous. I knew that when I picked him. But j can make him aware of me and my whacking stick. (Not that I'm planning to do any whacking).

Then, I'm going to put some $$ aside and get a good trainer to come out with me on off leash. There's no point in having them in my home or on leash - because the beautiful boofa behaves like a dream. They'd think I was nuts as he sat/dropped/stayed and respected my kitchen space, went to his bed on command and waited for his food.

Seriously, if I wasn't so damaged, it wouldn't bother me. So I fell down, so what? But if he knocks me down when I'm on my own, they won't find my body for months. And he'd probably eat me because, well, he's a lab.

You don't even have to wave it SM, just use it to be a physical barrier between you.

And to paraphrase Kindegarten Cop, "Labradors are like the sea, you should never turn your back on them". :eek: Stay on the fence line (if there is one) or find something to be at your back when he bolts around until you are repaired.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Ok.

You are an amazing Dog Owner, Mother and Person. Your determination and willpower is astounding. All kudos to you SM. :worship:

All the very best to you with your Boofa. Don't give up and never change. :thumbsup: