Oops. Johnny Depp's Dogs

persephone

Not quite so sure that US dogs can go anywhere without restriction. One quick google found this:

Exporting Pets from the United States

All resident pets leaving the United States must send relevant paperwork required for the destination country to the State USDA office for endorsement prior to leaving the country. Additionally, transiting pets whose permits or health certficiates have expired will be required to obtain these documents in the United States and have them endorsed prior to leaving the country.

Pets returning to the United States are subject to the same passport requirements as those entering for the first time. This means that pet owners returning to the United States should have a new health certificate completed by a vet in the country you are visiting if you stay for more than 30 days.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has wilfully and knowingly broken the law. No sympathy for him, only for the dogs.

Where does it say it was knowingly?

Pets travel free in most parts of the world, it could have been an oversight on his and the organisers part. Not everyone knows Australia has such strict quarantine rules.

well they should have made the effort to find out. I can't begin to say what I think about this. I would be banned for 100 lifetimes

Really - all his and his staff fault?

Where were our customs and quarantine inspectors on arrival to clear his plane?? Or they wanted to get his autograph and didn't notice the dogs? :doh:

I lived in Australia for over 10 years before I realised that you cant just bring a dog in. That there are some serious requirements. And I had no idea that the country is rabies free!

Should anyone ask people in Europe and America about this - they wouldn't even have a clue that we have quarantine requirements. And that includes breeders of dogs, let alone pet owners!

You can take food and animals from country to country nilly willy as you choose, not many think its a different story when coming to Australia.

Weird that people immediately think he was being an entitled prick rather than considering that he just effed up. It is nice that they love their doggies enough to bring them with them.

Obviously a very potentially dangerous mistake and fines should be issued but not sure he needs to be tied to the DOL stake and burnt.

Well said. Australia is one of the most dog unfriendly places on the planet. I'm not saying that we don't need our quarantine laws - we do - but we are incredibly pet unfriendly as well. Personally, if the dogs are healthy and rabies free then just deport them. Johnny Depp and others will know better next time.

I think most people have no idea about Australia's quarantine laws and why we have them.

Travelling round Eurpoe and Asia - people try to get you to buy souvenirs you know you can't bring home because Quarantine will burn them. And I get a bit envious of the people in North America and Europe who can compete in each other's agility competitions, and have their dogs sit in the passenger compartment of the plane with them.

Not that I can imagine my dog tolerating the noise of a plane ride when two cars moving along on the road are freak out worthy...

PS his dogs should go into quarantine for at least a month - that would be the worst punishment for Mr Depp... I don't see why they should be PTS - especially if all their vax are up to date (and not the homeopathic kind of vax).

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Weird that people immediately think he was being an entitled prick rather than considering that he just effed up. It is nice that they love their doggies enough to bring them with them.

Obviously a very potentially dangerous mistake and fines should be issued but not sure he needs to be tied to the DOL stake and burnt.

Well said. Australia is one of the most dog unfriendly places on the planet. I'm not saying that we don't need our quarantine laws - we do - but we are incredibly pet unfriendly as well. Personally, if the dogs are healthy and rabies free then just deport them. Johnny Depp and others will know better next time.

Ditto.

It doesnt say anywhere that they dogs will be destroyed. Its up to the owners to decide if they are flown back or euthanised.

I think most people have no idea about Australia's quarantine laws and why we have them.

Travelling round Eurpoe and Asia - people try to get you to buy souvenirs you know you can't bring home because Quarantine will burn them. And I get a bit envious of the people in North America and Europe who can compete in each other's agility competitions, and have their dogs sit in the passenger compartment of the plane with them.

Not that I can imagine my dog tolerating the noise of a plane ride when two cars moving along on the road are freak out worthy...

PS his dogs should go into quarantine for at least a month - that would be the worst punishment for Mr Depp... I don't see why they should be PTS - especially if all their vax are up to date (and not the homeopathic kind of vax).

Amen to that. These dogs CANNOT spend time in quarantine alongside dogs that have had six months worth of vaccination and testing before they get here. They have to leave the country. End of story.

He is being given 50 hours to return his dogs to America (How that works with their quarantine laws I'm not sure?) or they will be seized. What should be done in my opinion, the general public wouldn't be given the 50 hours...

He has wilfully and knowingly broken the law. No sympathy for him, only for the dogs.

Pets travel free in most parts of the world, it could have been an oversight on his and the organisers part. Not everyone knows Australia has such strict quarantine rules.

Depp has been here before. If he pined for the dogs during that visit, surely the onus would be on his minders to undertake due diligence as to the feasibility of their being with him?

Old saying... ignorance of the law is no excuse.

:(

My older dogs had UK pet-passports. Since they were an integral part of our family life, we had to do research for their best treatment. I am sure Depp could have had the same happen.

Depp has been here before. If he pined for the dogs during that visit, surely the onus would be on his minders to undertake due diligence as to the feasibility of their being with him?

Old saying... ignorance of the law is no excuse.

:(

My older dogs had UK pet-passports. Since they were an integral part of our family life, we had to do research for their best treatment. I am sure Depp could have had the same happen.

Yep :mad Johnny Dipshit

He MAY have made a genuine mistake. However if I am going to go to a different country - especially when it involves dogs I would look up what the requirements are to ensure I don't end up with euth'd or locked up dogs out of the blue.

The only reason he even got caught was the fact they were seen being taken to a groomer. How many eepople knew about those dogs and not one of them said anything??? How long have they been here wandering around?? How many dogs have they been in contact with either directly or indirectly??

Ignorance is no excuse. I fail to see how you could live here for 10 years and have a dog and not realise we are rabies free as you would never have been asked about rabies vaccinations and if they were up to date.

Edited by OSoSwift

Just saw on the news they were at a grooming salon, they interviewed the woman and showed her clipping and washing the dogs.

Wouldn't that be a risk?

As Oso said in the news thread, shouldn't they under some sort of quarantine restrictions or something now?

Just saw on the news they were at a grooming salon, they interviewed the woman and showed her clipping and washing the dogs.

Wouldn't that be a risk?

perhaps her salon should now be quarantined and thoroughly de contaminated at JD's expense

oh oh, no luxuries for those little munchkins. Doesn't he have enough dosh to charter a plane for them or use a private one of his own?

God knows, no inflight meal for them though, I am afraid. I wonder if they will need quarantine/checks on the US end now?

Wouldn't that be a risk?

A huge risk. If my dog was sharing space with un-quaratined dogs I would be going batshite. The owner was posting photos saying what an honour it was to groom them and how they should be allowed to stay etc. Morons.

I wonder how well she has cleaned everything they touched? Not well enough I would bet.

oh oh, no luxuries for those little munchkins. Doesn't he have enough dosh to charter a plane for them or use a private one of his own?

God knows, no inflight meal for them though, I am afraid. I wonder if they will need quarantine/checks on the US end now?

Wouldn't that be a risk?

A huge risk. If my dog was sharing space with un-quaratined dogs I would be going batshite. The owner was posting photos saying what an honour it was to groom them and how they should be allowed to stay etc. Morons.

I wonder how well she has cleaned everything they touched? Not well enough I would bet.

Yep I was just talking to a friend of mine in Perth who's been a groomer for almost 30 years and she said what an absolute bellend that woman is, not a hope those dogs would've stepped one paw in her salon and she couldn't give a toss who owns them. She hopes the salon is named and people made aware of the risks that she has put other pets at because the average Joe wouldn't have a clue.

ETA I got the OP wrong, she wasn't shown with JD's dogs just some randoms.

Edited by HazyWal

Did take selfies with them though...I even feel a bit sick thinking the dogs are on their clothes, god knows what they are taking home.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/animals/dog-groomer-sad-for-johnny-depp-and-immaculate-pets-20150514-gh1g79.html

Also noted in that article they arrived LAST MONTH... That is a lot of time to spread whatever around. :(

Edited by Steph M

i'm amazed at the protocol for this, what if they did have something, they would now be contaminating any other dog on that flight too.

I hope the idiot groomer who thinks she will gets more business from this actually gets karma and people dont go!

He should be fined if he is found to have done it knowing the rules.