Oops. Johnny Depp's Dogs

persephone

LINK

excerpt :

Hollywood star Johnny Depp is in trouble after bringing his two pet dogs into Australia without declaring them to quarantine.

The Department of Agriculture is investigating after the discovery of two Yorkshire terriers - Boo and Pistol - believed to have been brought into Australia on Depp's private plane last month so their owner could resume filming on the Gold Coast for the latest Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

Depp flew back to America in March for surgery on an injured hand and returned in the past few weeks.

The department said any animal that was imported without meeting Australia's import conditions would be ordered into quarantine and would either be exported or destroyed.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sad for the dogs but it must be said that Mr Depp or one of his minders must of known better...

Hey, I'm Johnny Depp. I can do what I like. I am very famous.

:mad :mad

He has wilfully and knowingly broken the law. No sympathy for him, only for the dogs.

Johnny, you may be famous. But you are acting like a certain part of your body, a d**k head.

:mad

(soz, DDD...x)

Very sad for the dogs but it must be said that Mr Depp or one of his minders must of known better...

Hey, I'm Johnny Depp. I can do what I like. I am very famous.

:mad :mad

He has wilfully and knowingly broken the law. No sympathy for him, only for the dogs.

Johnny, you may be famous. But you are acting like a certain part of your body, a d**k head.

:mad

(soz, DDD...x)

I totally agree, VM. And that is what I meant.

What an aresehole! Its not like he didn't know he would be filming or that it was a last minute thing. I am sure he has plenty of staff to ensure all regulations could be met before bringing the dogs in.

Now of course the dogs suffer.

Edited by OSoSwift

I heard a snippet on the ABC which said if the dogs could be flown out again within 50 days, it'd be fine. But 50 days since when? And what conditions need to apply during those up-to 50 days? Look forward to hearing further if this 'snippet' has credibility.

Yes, Johnny Depp has behaved like a complete entitled idiot but Barnaby Joyce saying the dogs need to "Bugger off back to the USA" :eek: WTF. What kind of a way is that to talk? Just what we need. As if the world didn't already think Australia was populated by bogans :mad

For the record I think Johnny Depp should be fined a vast amount of money. The dogs should be immediately taken into quaratine (If they haven't already) and tested for rabies and any other test that should have been done before they left America. Obviously all this at JD's expense. Then they should remain in quarantine for a set amount of time before they are sent back to America or euthanised (again at JD's expense).

Most importantly, private jets entering the country should be searched before anyone is allowed to leave :mad

Most importantly, private jets entering the country should be searched before anyone is allowed to leave :mad

I understand that the pilot hands a manifesto over to the officals who come to the plane.

It's a sort of old boys honour system that everything is kosher on board...

Guess this backfired.

:(

The snippet I heard mentioned 50 hours, not 50 days (comes of being deaf in one ear :) ). I found a fuller reference (Woman's Day). And it repeated what Barnaby Joyce said after his rude 'bugger off' comment:

Mr Joyce continued: “Now Mr Depp has to either take his dogs back to California or we're going to have to euthanise them. He's now got about 50 hours left to remove the dogs. He can put them on the same charter jet he flew out on and fly back out of our nation.”

According to Australia’s strict biosecurity laws, dogs are required to spend at least 10 days in quarantine before gaining access into the country, however Pistol and Boo avoided this process and Australian authorities are not impressed. The standard practice for failure to declare pets is that they will be seized and either deported or euthanized.

Protective mum Amber Heard is reportedly current in negotiations with the Department of Agriculture to save the lives of the adorable pups.

Seems a fair outcome is maybe being negotiated.

Where does it say it was knowingly?

Pets travel free in most parts of the world, it could have been an oversight on his and the organisers part. Not everyone knows Australia has such strict quarantine rules.

I looked up what applies to pets coming in by private jet in the UK. Maybe Johnny Depp is more used to that system. UK has a Pet Passport system that makes it easier to be processed thro'... so long I guess as the requirements on it are kept up to date. Wonder if his dogs had them ... even tho' they don't count coming into Australia?

Found a site showing how a dog comes into the UK by private jet under this system.

http://www.privatefly.com.au/private-flights/flying-with-pets.html

One of the US tibbie people travels often to London with his tib, Jackson, on a commercial airline which allows Jackson to be in the cabin. He's got a UK-approved Pet Passport. The owner says that Jackson routinely gets thro' customs much faster than him.... & the officers coo over Jackson.

Edited by mita

Barnaby's press release made me feel sick. The whole thing could have been managed discretely, cleanly and without all the crazy.

The whole bugger off/worlds sexiest man/etc etc was gross and showy.

Weird that people immediately think he was being an entitled prick rather than considering that he just effed up. It is nice that they love their doggies enough to bring them with them.

Obviously a very potentially dangerous mistake and fines should be issued but not sure he needs to be tied to the DOL stake and burnt.

This man is no stranger to international travel or even living in other countries (he has been living in Europe for many years previously). He would also have staff paid to organise his travel and accom for his work - he may not even pack his own suitcases! So I find it hard to believe neither he or any of his staff failed to consider what might be required to take the dogs to this country. And since they chartered a private plane and arrangements had to be made for that, someone had to arrange that and advise what was going to be on that plane - how many people, how much luggage, dogs, etc. It would be stupid not to advise of the dogs because otherwise they would not have had suitable food or toileting arrangements for them on the plane. And even if he turned up with them at the last minute someone had responsibility before that plane landed to ensure all relevant paperwork was done. You can't tell me staff serving guests on a private plane who had not expected dogs would not have reported the existence of those dogs higher up the chain of command during that flight.

It shits me that us humans constantly put dogs at risk of harm with our negligence.

Where does it say it was knowingly?

Pets travel free in most parts of the world, it could have been an oversight on his and the organisers part. Not everyone knows Australia has such strict quarantine rules.

well they should have made the effort to find out. I can't begin to say what I think about this. I would be banned for 100 lifetimes

Yes, Johnny Depp has behaved like a complete entitled idiot but Barnaby Joyce saying the dogs need to "Bugger off back to the USA" :eek: WTF. What kind of a way is that to talk? Just what we need. As if the world didn't already think Australia was populated by bogans :mad

For the record I think Johnny Depp should be fined a vast amount of money. The dogs should be immediately taken into quaratine (If they haven't already) and tested for rabies and any other test that should have been done before they left America. Obviously all this at JD's expense. Then they should remain in quarantine for a set amount of time before they are sent back to America or euthanised (again at JD's expense).

Completely agree.

We are extremely lucky here in Australia not to have many diseases other countries does. Having a private jet and fame shouldn't put anyone above our quarantine laws.

I don't remember many people complaining when Justin Biebers monkey got quarantined in Germany for illegally taking it there.

:mad the idiot puts our animals at risk

I'd like to know how he's going to fly them out of the country, as if I were to send one of mine out of the country I'd need meet vaccination and export requirements and it's not as simple as putting them on the plane tomorrow, private or not