Neighbours Dog Attacked My Cat

Rayhay

So, there you have it, my new neighbours have moved into the house opposite ours only 6-8 weeks ago.

They bring with them a ferret and what appears to be a greyhound (I think, well looks like one to me!)

Anyway, they seem to have trouble keeping it behind their fence, it has come onto our property a few times since they moved in, it is pretty unruly, it jumps all over you and the recall is a bit hit and miss. I have asked them a few times to please ensure it is not allowed to roam and could you please make sure it is securely behind your fence, it also barks at night incessantly, but since we spoke with them about this issue, they do seem to have resolved this particular barking issue so far.

We have our own dogs (2) and a cat, they all get along wonderfully, infact my cat and my Rotti are besties, they have a terrific relationship.

Once again yesterday morning, their dog got out and was on our property, my Mother in Law is staying with us at the moment, and she could see it was out there, so she ran out screaming at it to go home, the dogs owner from across the road heard the commotion and came running over to call the dog home all the while apologising, what we didn't realise at the time was, their dog has attacked our cat in the bushes where we could not quite see properly.

I was calling and calling my cat to come home last night, but nothing, so I was quite worried, but still hadn't pieced the puzzle together until he showed up this morning and was rushed to the vet, after the vet had a look at him, they said "looks like he's been attacked by a dog or something" and the penny had dropped, he had been attacked by their dog while it was in my yard, but the dog must have been called away before more damage was done, and my cat has hidden wounded in the bushes and shown up this morning with the battle scars.

He is currently at the vets undergoing surgery, he has a hernia from the muscle tear and there are saliva marks on the back of his neck where the dog has tried to grab him (hair all clumpy and chewed).

Would you believe it is going to be a $1000 vet bill for my cat, who also is terminally ill with cancer :(

I am just so upset and annoyed at the lack of responsibility these people have in owning pets, why should we suffer because they don't care about their dog roaming... I have since rang the ranger for our area and they are going to send around a person to discuss the issue with them as well.

So if you could spare a thought or a prayer for my poor little puss "Cookie" while he overcomes another hurdle in his journey.

Thanks

Ray

:( poor Cookie .

I hope the vet has written what injuries were caused by ..and you have put in a complaint to council.

if Cookie was mine ..outside would be only accessed with an adult present ..and inside would be set up as a cat haven - with mandatory spoiling ... NO chance of dog attacks anymore .

:hug:

If your cats are permitted to roam off your property, and no one actually saw the attack, I'd say you probably can't accuse the neighbour's dog of being the culprit.

I once watched a loose dog that had come some distance down the side of our house, attack our elderly cat. It was all over in a matter of minutes, and sadly once we got her to the vet, it was obvious that the damage done to her back/spine was too severe for there to be any other option but euthanasia.

Hopefully Cookie makes a speedy recovery. It's always devastating when something like this happens.

Oh no I hope your kitty is okay.

Whether it is that dog who attacked him while gone or a different dog (while does sound likely, a bit harder to prove. I would certainly report to council that they keep letting it roam!) I would be hesitant letting your cat out anymore as what if your cat gets in the yard the dog is in?

Even if your cat isn't much for exploring, the next time might be when your cat isn't on your property... Perhaps find a way to confine your cat to house/your back yard.

I'm sorry for your cat but if no one saw the dog attack the cat then really you don't know for sure what happened.

Yes, the vet is only speculating and you have no evidence that the greyhound did it. How can you be sure it wasn't a dog that passed by?

It's a sad situation but all you can do is look after your cat and if the owners can't keep their dog secured then report them to the council each time it gets out.

I know I can't prove anything, and I know there is always the chance it wasn't "their" dog, however I have lived in our street for 5 years, there are no other dogs roaming other than theirs, and theirs is the only dog that has come on to our property in all the years we have lived there. So, you know when you " just know".

I am not going to start harping on at them, I will just deal with my poor cat, mend him and spend the rest of whatever quality time he has left with us in the safety of our home now. We will be speaking with them ourselves tonight to let them know that we "suspect" that their dog has attacked our cat while in our front garden yesterday morning, they can't deny the dog was there, as they had to come over to collect it off us.

Not really sure if the ranger has been to see them, as I reported their dog as a "wandering nuisance" and that it is constantly on our property causing stress and chasing our animals, so will see if they at least will try and keep it behind the fence from now on.

Anyway, vet has let me know Cookie is doing ok, but they wish to keep him overnight to make sure he has appropriate pain medication.

Ray

Sorry to hear about Cookie :(

Theres no way of keeping the dog off your property?

Then if they continue to just let it roam at large it wont be impacting you.

I do think its good the ranger is coming out, at least to tell them to keep their dog contained.

Poor cat, hope he makes a full recovery.

How is the dog getting into your yard though? Are yours low fences or a no fence situation? I'd think it would be a bit hard to say their dog attacked the cat unless you personally saw it though. I'd be keeping Cookie inside and/or make a secure cat run if he likes to be outside as well. Keeps them safe. :)

I'd report the dog to the council anyway for coming into your yard numerous times, it should be contained to their property, and they've had plenty of chances, and being a greyhound the owners should be more proactive to make sure it doesn't get out of the yard.

Sending healing vibes to Cookie

ETA: I see now, i was typing this reply and you'd already posted again. So the cat was in the front yard I'm guessing, yep....hard to prove it was their dog, but good on your for calling the ranger. Call every time it's out and take photos too. The owners need to step up and take responsibility for their dog.

Edited by Cazablanca

Glad the cat is ok, that'd good news. Hopefully he'll be safe inside from now on...I've never been able to understand why cats are allowed to roam (whether they stay on property or not - they arern't really confined like dogs are supposed to be).

Hope Cookie heals well.

We live in a rural area, at the end of a "no through dirt road" there are only 3 houses in our area, two of the three neighbours don't have dogs, only the neighbour with the greyhound across from us is the only dog that is a roaming dog, so I guess that is how I "just know" that it wasn't really another dog passing by, no body walks the streets in my area, it's off the beaten track in Emerald Vic, so I know it can look a bit like "how would you know it was this neighbours dog" It's because of all the lack of houses in my dead end street and no other dogs around really, especially since the neighbour is new and their dog is always out lol

Edited by Rayhay

nothing to say the cat didn't trespass onto someone elses property and get attacked there. Cat was missing for a lot of hours and they can and do wander a long way. Certainly report the dog for wandering but you can't accuse it of attacking your cat. I thought there was fairly stringent laws regarding cat containment in Emerald?

nothing to say the cat didn't trespass onto someone elses property and get attacked there. Cat was missing for a lot of hours and they can and do wander a long way. Certainly report the dog for wandering but you can't accuse it of attacking your cat. I thought there was fairly stringent laws regarding cat containment in Emerald?

No that is Yarra Ranges. Emerald is in a different shire.

ETA: Cardinia now has the same rule - cats to be kept on premises. No roaming allowed.

Edited by JulesP

I know, I am not here to "prove" it with you, but it is very very likely their dog considering it is the only one I have seen roaming in years, also, it had no interest in my own dogs that were barking at it from behind their fence, it was after something in my bushes on my front lawn, it's the only logical explanation I have.

:( So sad.

Regardless, the owners are in the wrong for not making sure their dog is secure and unable to wander, attack, menace or get hit by a car. Rangers need to sort it out before it discovers livestock because that will be the end of the dog.

I know, I am not here to "prove" it with you, but it is very very likely their dog considering it is the only one I have seen roaming in years, also, it had no interest in my own dogs that were barking at it from behind their fence, it was after something in my bushes on my front lawn, it's the only logical explanation I have.

Too late now but I understood DNA in saliva can be used to determine who bit?

So I have since spoken with my neighbour and explained the situation, she has agreed it was most likely her dog since she had to come over and collect it, and my cat has since been found mauled in the spot her dog was last seen in, she has said she would like to pay the vet bill, which I did not actually have to ask for.

I think she just wants to do the right thing and is very embarrassed that her dog has caused so much trouble for us that she just wants to make it right.

So, I commend her for trying to do the right thing, she apologised because her kids left the gate open that morning, and although she believes her dog is cat friendly, that this is the situation with her own cat/s not perhaps other peoples cats and is also pretty sure it was her dog that has caused the dire situation we are now all in.

How weird considering I thought she would deny any wrong doing at all, I commend her in this situation for being able to stand up and say yes, I believe my dog has done wrong and would like to correct it as best as possible.

See, just when you think your faith in humanity is lost, it is redeemed. I know that if my dog was last seen in my neighbours yard causing problems and the neighbour told me their cat had been mauled, I would surely think my dog could have caused it, as I know my dog is cat friendly with my cat, but probably not with other peoples and is likely that my dog has caused the problem.

Ray

Whether or not it was their dog, it's not ok for it to be entering your property constantly. I hope the council talk to them and Cookie recovers well.

Just saw your latest post, that's great the neighbour is taking responsibility for their dog!

Edited by Dame Aussie

I would wait till their dog is roaming again and tell them that the last time their dog was on your property you later found your cat mauled by a dog and say how much it cost at the vet. Tell them you can't prove their dog did it but that it is highly likely and that if they continue to let their dog roam you wont be talking to them about it anymore - you will simply be calling the pound. If they care about their dog and what it gets up to while loose they will make an effort to contain it and avoid any other animal injuries.

That is so glad to hear! Sounds like the dog is overwhelming her a bit. Perhaps you can suggest an installation for their gate that will get it to swing shut after the kids go through? I am not sure what these are called, but I don't think they're expensive. Will keep her pup out of trouble too.