Dog Butt Wiggle Behaviour Question

Two Best Dogs!

Maybe I'm not using the right phrases or words but...why does my dog turn around and wiggle her butt at me? Not her tail (granted it is also wagging) but her butt?

It seems very specific, usually when I've come home from something without her. Go to say hello, she turns around and presents that butt - wiggles it a bit - turns around for a pat/nosing me then turns around again for another butt wiggle.

I've taken to scratching it but am not sure if that's what she's actually wanting here. Doesn't seem to be upset.

(sorry I'm failing on interpreting you Thistle :o )

What probably obvious thing is the butt wiggler communicating? I'm at a loss! :o

really excited/happy /puppy :) Now that you scratch it , she will probably do it more often ;)

Some dogs seem to do this more than others . my Hamlet was a great bum swiveller :)

I wasn't sure what else to do! If it was an invite to play welp sorry girl I've missed the clue ;)

She seems to be a pro butt wiggle.

Tempeh does full butt wiggles but only with certain people. She seems to do it when uber excited and her body just wants to dance! She wiggles right from the middle, twisting herself in half. I've never seen her do it in relation to another dog, food or a toy - just people.

Mine will greet her favourite people with a bandy legged wiggle butt - getting lower and lower until she's crawling and when she arrives, she rolls over - cos she likes belly rubs and arm pit scratches and knows how to get them.

I get the butt jammed up against my hands cos I do good butt rub. But when she's on the couch next to me - I will also get poked in the shoulder and then she rolls over for - belly rubs... and she will put her paw on my hand or arm and push me round until I hit the right place. Ie the soft bit of her belly, she likes better than chest rubs.

It is a pro-social greeting that communicates non-threat. You'll sometimes see dogs with good social skills doing this when meeting each other.

My dog, Del, does it to people she really likes sometimes. Presents her wiggly but and turns her head to look at them with a smile on her face. I like it, I think it's a very cute way of greeting.

Ofcourse that might be why she did it in the beginning, but now maybe she just does it because she gets a scratch :)

Mine do full butt wiggles too, they're non bobtails with full tails.

If Scout wants an actual bum rub he'll reverse into me until I scratch the base of his tail. Or go between my legs so his bum is at the optimum place for double handed bum rubs :laugh: which starts him off on a back leg dance side to side.