Victorian Gov To Introduce New Breeding Laws

bluedeer

http://www.premier.vic.gov.au/new-laws-to-stamp-out-cruel-puppy-farms/

The Andrews Labor Government is putting animal welfare first by ending industrial scale breeding of cats and dogs, with legislation set to be introduced into Victorian Parliament today.

Victoria’s Domestic Animals Act will be overhauled to protect the welfare of breeding cats and dogs and give consumers certainty that their puppies and kittens have come from good homes.

The Domestic Animals Amendment (Puppy Farm and Pet Shops) Bill 2016 will reform Victoria’s breeding and pet shop industries, delivering on Labor’s election promise.

The proposed amendments will reduce the number of fertile female dogs a breeder can keep from as many as 350 to 10. Breeders will have until April 2020 to reduce their numbers by naturally breeding out their dogs.

To crack down on backyard breeders, any Victorian who keeps a fertile female dog and sells her puppies, or who keeps three or more fertile female cats and sells their kittens, will have to register with their council as a domestic animal business.

The Government will also establish a new central registry of domestic animal businesses, giving councils the information they need to determine who is eligible to register as a breeder and better police the new laws.

Pet shops will no longer be able to sell puppies and kittens unless they have come from a registered pound, animal shelters or foster carer. This is consistent with the practice of many pet stores operating in Victoria and will close off a lucrative market for puppy farmers.

Foster carers who look after relinquished pets while they wait for a new home will have clearer rights and responsibilities – they will be able to care for up to five animals at a time without having to register as a domestic animal business and will benefit from reduced council registration fees.

Thanks to the Labor Government, there will be fewer homeless pets and more Victorians safe in the knowledge that their new dog or cat has been bred responsibly.

Quotes attributable to Minister for Agriculture Jaala Pulford

“We promised Victorians we would crack down on cruel and illegal puppy farms, and this delivers on that promise.”

“Victorians love their pets, and we all want to know our furry family members have come from safe and caring homes, not from illegal and cruel puppy farms.”

“This is the type of legislation Victorians who care about their animals have been calling for. Only the Andrews Labor Government will bring Victorians who need a pet and pets who need a home together.”

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.premier.vic.gov.au/new-laws-to-stamp-out-cruel-puppy-farms/

The Andrews Labor Government is putting animal welfare first by ending industrial scale breeding of cats and dogs, with legislation set to be introduced into Victorian Parliament today.

Victoria’s Domestic Animals Act will be overhauled to protect the welfare of breeding cats and dogs and give consumers certainty that their puppies and kittens have come from good homes.

The Domestic Animals Amendment (Puppy Farm and Pet Shops) Bill 2016 will reform Victoria’s breeding and pet shop industries, delivering on Labor’s election promise.

The proposed amendments will reduce the number of fertile female dogs a breeder can keep from as many as 350 to 10. Breeders will have until April 2020 to reduce their numbers by naturally breeding out their dogs.

To crack down on backyard breeders, any Victorian who keeps a fertile female dog and sells her puppies, or who keeps three or more fertile female cats and sells their kittens, will have to register with their council as a domestic animal business.

The Government will also establish a new central registry of domestic animal businesses, giving councils the information they need to determine who is eligible to register as a breeder and better police the new laws.

Pet shops will no longer be able to sell puppies and kittens unless they have come from a registered pound, animal shelters or foster carer. This is consistent with the practice of many pet stores operating in Victoria and will close off a lucrative market for puppy farmers.

Foster carers who look after relinquished pets while they wait for a new home will have clearer rights and responsibilities – they will be able to care for up to five animals at a time without having to register as a domestic animal business and will benefit from reduced council registration fees.

Thanks to the Labor Government, there will be fewer homeless pets and more Victorians safe in the knowledge that their new dog or cat has been bred responsibly.

Quotes attributable to Minister for Agriculture Jaala Pulford

“We promised Victorians we would crack down on cruel and illegal puppy farms, and this delivers on that promise.”

“Victorians love their pets, and we all want to know our furry family members have come from safe and caring homes, not from illegal and cruel puppy farms.”

“This is the type of legislation Victorians who care about their animals have been calling for. Only the Andrews Labor Government will bring Victorians who need a pet and pets who need a home together.”

if I have one entire female, but don't breed, thus don't have / sell puppies: do I still have to register an animal business?...that would be outright ridiculous...

Eta: and if I have an entire male dog I don't have to register an animal business????.... I could make money from selling the sperm ...?...

Edited by Willem

The ANY VICTORIAN part seems to be a direct signal that a Dogs Vic membership does not provide an exemption from having to register as a domestic animal business and all the stuff that goes with that like kennels, concrete, inspections by council officers, and forced desexing of dogs not sold to another business etc. Any comment or advice from Dogs Vic management on here would be appreciated!!

Please don't tell me there are puppy farmers with 350 fertile females at any one time? I can't even fathom how easy it would be to neglect and ruin for life that many dogs. I hope they have the resources to support these new laws.

I do like the bit about foster carers!

The ANY VICTORIAN part seems to be a direct signal that a Dogs Vic membership does not provide an exemption from having to register as a domestic animal business and all the stuff that goes with that like kennels, concrete, inspections by council officers, and forced desexing of dogs not sold to another business etc. Any comment or advice from Dogs Vic management on here would be appreciated!!

Check the DV Facebook page.........DV are meeting a govt person tomorrow

Pretty smart really Divided everyone pretty effectively and that leaves small groups fighting some bits and no one joining together.

No one other than Vicdogs is going to care if they loose their exemptions and they have lost their exemptions to take effect as soon as the amendments are passed

This is what happens when a government listens to screaming loonies and animal welfare animal rights etc who have nothing to do with breeding dogs rather than other stake holders. It is also a product of breeder groups not looking for what they have in common rather than what keeps them protecting their rights on their own.

If Vicdogs didn't see this coming then they were the only ones who didn't .

Edited by Steve

You can still own 350 dogs or more you just cant keep more than 10 fertile dogs on one rate able property at one time - No argument against free trade because as long as they own more than one property they can still carry on breeding as many as they want. No argument against people being able to buy a pup because if they spread onto other properties they carry on as they are. My mind is already jumping ahead to see how they can beat it .Will actually be cheaper for them to do that and only have to provide housing for 10 dogs on one property than 350 on one. That's not stopping free trade just ensuring no more than this are one one property .Of course we wont mention you could have hundreds or thousands [puppies] under the fertile age which is I think 9 months requirement at any time on one property.

The big questions is how the hell do they think they can possible regulate and enforce it? How funny they cant even get people to register or chip their dogs let alone ask permission first for a litter etc . Notice since that report came out last week about the RSPCA not activating and not policing council codes that RSPCA are not policing it - only council and those they may contract to do it - lots of money to do this and lots of resources spent on minimum risk which will see neglect of the real filthy ones.

Edited by Steve

I dont believe Vicdogs will get to keep their exemptions. They have been given heaps of examples of registered breeders who are not doing the right thing, the greyhound industry has shown self regulation and policing is a risk etc. Oscars law have done a good job at handing them all the reasons why they shouldn't keep them.

Makes you wonder if they knew that they would loose exemption whether they would have signed off without a whimper to all the stupid codes and regs which will now apply to their members and their members dogs. there a hell of a lot of people who joined Vicdogs BECAUSE of the exemptions who would prefer not to be there - if they get no exemptions membership will make a quick decline too.

Yarra Ranges Shire already insists that if a person breeds from a dog they must be registered as a business, even if they are registered with Dogs Vic. Doesn't matter if they sell the puppies or not.

Edited by Kirislin

Yarra Ranges Shire already insists that if a person breeds from a dog they must be registered as a business, even if they are registered with Dogs Vic. Doesn't matter if they sell the puppies or not.

As far as I can work out, if you have more than 2 dogs or cats, then you have to apply for an animal permit and it is only then that they ask what for what purpose you own your dogs: http://www.yarraranges.vic.gov.au/Property/Pets/Keeping-Animals

As far as I can work out, if you have more than 2 dogs or cats, then you have to apply for an animal permit and it is only then that they ask what for what purpose you own your dogs: http://www.yarraranges.vic.gov.au/Property/Pets/Keeping-Animals

I have an animal permit, I have to renew it every year and it clearly states no breeding of dogs allowed. When I questioned it I was told I had to register myself as a business.