Dog Breed Selectors

cannibalgoldfish

Not many questions about trainability, what you intend to do with the dog (other than amounts of exercise and grooming), or preferred temperament traits. All of my results were waaaay off.

I do wonder how the non-dog-savvy person goes about research; I'm sure in many cases it's none at all. There are some fantastic breeds out there that could be awesome fits for many families, but people don't know they exist. I wonder what could be done to promote proper research and planning(other than tests like these that are in my experience pretty useless).

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First result was a British Bulldog. There wasn't a single dog on that list that I would consider :laugh:

I got a Bull dog and an Iggy. Fatty and Skinny. Talk about covering the bases.

I got a very mixed result. I would own a Westie but I know full well I'm a lazy pet owner and will never own anything which is not short & smooth coated so sadly they're pretty much off the list.

Check this one out: http://www.iams.com/dog-breed-selector

I was impressed with the options and questions. They give you a few results and a % match - which I assume is against your answers.

I got the following:

Border Terrier (82%)

Newfoundland

Great Dane

Pug

Mastiff

Boston Terrier

Leonberger

Chinook

Bulldog

Keeshond

English Bulldog

Swiss Mountain dog

Lapphund

Cesky Terrier

Staffy

Boxer

Beagle

Wolfhound

Fox terrier

St Bernard

Norwich Terrier

Norfolk Terrier

Rat Terrier (what I always call an American foxie)

French Bulldog

American hairless terrier

Basenji

Bedlingotn

Cocker

Norwegian Buhund - Um... Based entirely on the listing on that link they're 100% a NO.

Podengo Pequeno (59%)

Googled the ones I don't know. No need to google the Podengo because of "our" lovely Ping :heart:

Interesting mix - No corgis :) Some very "me" results but not sure if they missed the "Smooth coat, no grooming per week, I am no willing to use a professional groomer" answers. Going back to the iams page to play again.

Changed the answers up a bit and got:

Border Terrier again - this time at 81%

Basenji

Rat Terrier

Bearded Collie

Aussie Shepherd

Westie

Edited by Scottsmum

Did again and only changed one criteria - went for large/giant breed...

post-23772-0-35537300-1481241406_thumb.jpg

I think they decided that my size requireent was the size of the attitude in the dog... lol!

T.

I got a lot of small terriers, too. You would think that if someone selects for large/giant, they probably mean that they don't want a small dog? :noidea:

Awww! provoke.gif Go and get a westie Maddy! The selector's telling you you want one! rofl1.gif

It'd die of boredom pretty quickly, I think :eek: The average greyhound/whippet day around here goes like this: Sleep in until noon, preferably on the big bed. Ooze out of bed around 1pm and wander outside for a quick wee. On the way back to bed, refill the tank with some breakfast/lunch. Take a quick power nap until 7pm. 7pm also happens to be dinner time for kids, slob out to the kitchen to mooch food off children. Go back to bed to charge up for zoomies time, around 11pm. Hoon around the house/yard/over the couch for 20 minutes, grab a last bite to eat and then go to bed around midnight. Rinse, repeat.

Sometimes I wonder if they get bored with that lifestyle but I guess it's hard to tell when they look like this:

Bored?

post-19844-0-64561500-1481251904_thumb.jpg

I think they decided that my size requireent was the size of the attitude in the dog... lol!

T.

I got a lot of small terriers, too. You would think that if someone selects for large/giant, they probably mean that they don't want a small dog? :noidea:

Awww! provoke.gif Go and get a westie Maddy! The selector's telling you you want one! rofl1.gif

It'd die of boredom pretty quickly, I think :eek: The average greyhound/whippet day around here goes like this: Sleep in until noon, preferably on the big bed. Ooze out of bed around 1pm and wander outside for a quick wee. On the way back to bed, refill the tank with some breakfast/lunch. Take a quick power nap until 7pm. 7pm also happens to be dinner time for kids, slob out to the kitchen to mooch food off children. Go back to bed to charge up for zoomies time, around 11pm. Hoon around the house/yard/over the couch for 20 minutes, grab a last bite to eat and then go to bed around midnight. Rinse, repeat.

Sometimes I wonder if they get bored with that lifestyle but I guess it's hard to tell when they look like this:

Bored?

Sounds ideal - both as a dog and a lifestyle :)

I was impressed with the options and questions. They give you a few results and a % match - which I assume is against your answers.

That one definitely seems better, although some of the breed information is a bit off.

I got 75% greyhound (which was pretty close, not sure where it lost points though) but apparently my new greyhound will be a good watch dog :rofl: In their defense, their size possibly deters some burglars but really, they'd have to be the most rubbish watch dog you could ever get- they're never aggro towards strangers in the house/yard, they don't really bark (unless it's possums) and they wouldn't bite unless someone was hurting them and they physically couldn't move away from that person. Most are so soft tempered that just raising your voice at them would be enough to make them slink away and sulk.

It also says greys need moderate exercise and would make a good jogging companion. They're just not built to trot and seem much more comfortable either just walking or full on sprinting. I wouldn't recommend them as a jogging partner, it can be done with lots of conditioning but they're just not designed for it.

Besides those few points though, pretty decent information and a much more useful test.

Sounds ideal - both as a dog and a lifestyle :)

I will admit, I get envious watching people play fetch or running around with their energetic, lively dogs. And then I visit friends with working breeds and it's so good to go home to my quiet dogs afterwards :laugh:

I sometimes think that if it weren't for sighthounds, I probably wouldn't be much of a dog person.

I got the following:

Border Terrier (82%)

Newfoundland

Great Dane

Pug

Mastiff

Boston Terrier

Leonberger

Chinook

Bulldog

Keeshond

English Bulldog

Swiss Mountain dog

Lapphund

Cesky Terrier

Staffy

Boxer

Beagle

Wolfhound

Fox terrier

St Bernard

Norwich Terrier

Norfolk Terrier

Rat Terrier (what I always call an American foxie)

French Bulldog

American hairless terrier

Basenji

Bedlingotn

Cocker

Norwegian Buhund - Um... Based entirely on the listing on that link they're 100% a NO.

Podengo Pequeno (59%)

Googled the ones I don't know. No need to google the Podengo because of "our" lovely Ping :heart:

Interesting mix - No corgis :) Some very "me" results but not sure if they missed the "Smooth coat, no grooming per week, I am no willing to use a professional groomer" answers. Going back to the iams page to play again.

Changed the answers up a bit and got:

Border Terrier again - this time at 81%

Basenji

Rat Terrier

Bearded Collie

Aussie Shepherd

Westie

This one was a lot more accurate for me!! Top two results were Shiba and Akita.

That one definitely seems better, although some of the breed information is a bit off.

I got 75% greyhound (which was pretty close, not sure where it lost points though) but apparently my new greyhound will be a good watch dog :rofl: In their defense, their size possibly deters some burglars but really, they'd have to be the most rubbish watch dog you could ever get- they're never aggro towards strangers in the house/yard, they don't really bark (unless it's possums) and they wouldn't bite unless someone was hurting them and they physically couldn't move away from that person. Most are so soft tempered that just raising your voice at them would be enough to make them slink away and sulk.

It also says greys need moderate exercise and would make a good jogging companion. They're just not built to trot and seem much more comfortable either just walking or full on sprinting. I wouldn't recommend them as a jogging partner, it can be done with lots of conditioning but they're just not designed for it.

Besides those few points though, pretty decent information and a much more useful test.

I didn't look at their breed information. I might go back and look at the few I didnt know. :)

Hmmm... I said no exercise and medium/large dog, left alone for up to 40 hours a week...

post-23772-0-63641100-1481223755_thumb.jpg

... and I'm terrified of Pembroke Corgis...

T.

very similar to what I got and I said large/giant, smooth coat, no exercise and left alone for 20 hours a week. There was nothing on my list I would go out and buy.

The Iams one gave me Basenji 64%, Pondengo (wire) 60%, Greyhound 58%, Azawazh 58%, Toy Fox Terrier 56% and Whippet 56% as my top 6 choices. What part of very large, smooth coat and no exercise do they not get? There is only one breed on that list that I might consider instead of a greyhound and a couple I wouldn't own in a pink fit! Total disaster for both dog and human.

The Iams quiz is the best dog breed selector I've seen!

I got:

Lagotto Romagnolo (84%)

Australian Shepherd (83%)

Portuguese Water Dog (83%)

Bearded Collie (79%)

Standard Poodle (73%)

Pumi (72%)

So my two chosen breeds (Aussies and Std Poodles) are on that list!

The Iams one gave me Basenji 64%, Pondengo (wire) 60%, Greyhound 58%, Azawazh 58%, Toy Fox Terrier 56% and Whippet 56% as my top 6 choices. What part of very large, smooth coat and no exercise do they not get? There is only one breed on that list that I might consider instead of a greyhound and a couple I wouldn't own in a pink fit! Total disaster for both dog and human.

The Iams quiz is the best dog breed selector I've seen!I got:Lagotto Romagnolo (84%)Australian Shepherd (83%)Portuguese Water Dog (83%)Bearded Collie (79%)Standard Poodle (73%)Pumi (72%)So my two chosen breeds (Aussies and Std Poodles) are on that list!

Interesting to see two very different perspectives so fast after each other.

I gave up on the first one, it didn't have any "no preference' options! :laugh:

Iams I really enjoyed, lots of breeds I am unfamiliar of or did not know the name! I got

Plott Hound (89%) - had to google this one, intriguing! Reminds me of Thistle actually, how funny is that?! :laugh: What an interesting dog, I quite like it.

Chinese Shar-Pei (84%) - absolutely not my aesthetic

American Pit Bull Terrier (82%) - Never ever no thank you

Kooikerhondje (79%) - Had to look this one up, it has appeal!

Tosa (78%) - I think perhaps NOT!

Clumber Spaniel (78%) - not my aesthetic, really don't like extra skin wrinkles :o

Welsh Springer Spaniel (76%) - so much appeal!

American Staffordshire Terrier (76%) - I think perhaps staffies are too fiendly and enthusiastic for me, I like a bit of a standoffish behaviour :laugh:

Sussex Spaniel (76%) - have not heard of this, long haired sausage dog spaniels :laugh:

Portuguese Podengo (wire) (73%) - oh how intriguing! I think I prefer the smooth though. What lovely shapes

Chesapeake Bay Retriever (73%) - I would consider!

Bullmastiff (73%) - Maybe if came in a smaller size :laugh:

Dalmatian (73%) - Is on the wish list one day, perhaps

German Pinscher (72%) - Not sure, maybe?

Puli (71%) - no way! Too mop like :laugh:

English Cocker Spaniel (71%) - I like the tails and feathering but ears too fluffy for me :laugh:

Tibetan Spaniel (71%) - I do not like the flat faces, no thank you :(

Bull Terrier (71%) - I guess quizes don't usually have a "bad experience breed" where you can select dogs to cross out :(

Canaan Dog (71%) - at this moment realised could click on names instead of googling. Googled breed anyway. Think if I went primitive dog I'd go a dingo cross? But special rules down here I think so probably a want-but-will-never-get dog

Weimaraner (68%) - eyes creep me out

Bulldog (67%) - no excessive wrinkles or flat faces pls :(

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever (67%) - intriguing background!

Portuguese Podengo (smooth) (67%) - how come smooth is down here and wire is further up? Is there a temperament difference?

Hovawart (67%) - this one is out of the blue, as I did not click thick coat, or fluffy coat or long coat.

Irish Water Spaniel (67%) - urgh no. Do not like looks at all

Boerboel (67%) - noooooo

Rottweiler (67%) - noooo okay maybe if it's a starkehre one raised with puppy culture when the other boof is old and retired :laugh:

English Bulldog (67%) too flat no to too flat faces too flat!

American Bulldog (67%) too boxer like. Like boxers, grew up with them and GSDs. Never want to own either :laugh:

Basenji (67%) - I ...I am not sure.

No mystery mutts in the list?! :laugh:

I find it a bit frustrating when breeds suggested in average person quizes are very rare :confused: Would that not make most more expensive and harder to get?

I like this quiz! Usually suggestions for me are border collies, aussie shepherds, poodles, border terries, boston terriers and similar. None of those appeal to me :o refreshing to have a list of dogs where nod my head a lot!

Edited by Thistle the dog

Iams is a lot more accurate.

Papillon 85% :thumbsup:

Toy Poodle 85% (Not sure I'd get one due to the grooming but it makes sense)

Toy Fox Terrier 79% (Looks like a Mini Foxie? Description reminds me a bit of Malcolm.)

If I increase the size of our yard in pops the Australian Shepherd at 78%

Edited by Papillon Kisses

T.

Bored?

Sounds ideal for a westie - except a trot rather than a zoomie for my lot! And Sarah leaves the bed in the morning about 9ish (and I get the evil eye for waking her), out to have a wee and some breaky, then onto the lounge of the rest of the day. Listen for the sound of chopping... Ah! Dinner!!! Zoom into the kitchen and get under Mum's feet. Wolf down dinner, back to the lounge. Mid evening wee before being carried to bed. Repeat.laugh.gif

The Iams quiz is the best dog breed selector I've seen!

I got:

Lagotto Romagnolo (84%)

Australian Shepherd (83%)

Portuguese Water Dog (83%)

Bearded Collie (79%)

Standard Poodle (73%)

Pumi (72%)

So my two chosen breeds (Aussies and Std Poodles) are on that list!

I admit I only googled it but I think it's interesting.

I assumed the Purina one would be the same but it's very different.

https://www.purina.com/dogs/dog-breeds/dog-breed-selector

I did the pedigree and got

I wish you could select more size options though as size isnt a big deal for me. Also different coat options.

I dont think aussies are an options as they would be in the above for sure. All the above appeals to me except for the two terriers and the briard.

Edited by LisaCC