Opinions on new tinned raw food

Dear ALL,

Thank you for your messages, it really makes me super happy that all of you are conscious dog owners!   But I want all of us to agree that IF I VALIDATE MY ANSWERS WITH LONG TERM SCIENTIFIC RESEARCHES, I want YOU TO BASE YOUR OPINION WITH SCIENCE TOO.  Because now most of you just telling your opinion which is fine for discussion, but then do not appeal that we are FAKES/DO EVERYTHING FOR MARKETING.... 

23757651_10155169844294639_623995088_o.png

On 18/11/2017 at 2:20 PM, Agota Jakutyte said:

Dear Srappy, Monty & Persephone,

Let me shortly describe the technology we use to make long-lasting/raw/ketogenic food.

First of all, let us all agree what RAW really means. * RAW - Means that no food is heated above 104 degrees Fahrenheit (40 degrees Celsius). Foods are eaten fresh, dehydrated with low heat or fermented.

ROCKETO is manufactured using old French “confit” technique when food is cooked slowly in fat with low temperature (under 40°C / 104°F) over a long period of time. After salting and cooking in the fat with low temperature, sealed and stored in a cool, dark place, “confit” can last for several months or years and still retain all nutrient features as before preparation.

Well if it is not heated above 40 degrees Celsius then I suspect we don't need to get too excited about the product arriving in Australia as importation requirements include time and temperature heat treatment for meat based products - and from memory, the lowest temp (combined with longest time) allowed is 70 degrees. 

If a manufacturer cannot meet time and temperature then import permits cannot be granted. 

This is is a requirement of our bio security laws. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Scrappi&Monty said:

Plus what good would 40°C do? That’s just like leaving it out in the sun on any regular summer day... :shrug:

Its the perfect temperature for bacteria and microorganisms to thrive as well... especially awful stuff like the bacteria that causes botulism. :eek:

that is what the fat and long cooking time helps with ... the conditions are not  ideal for the growth of nasties . 
From what I have gleaned over the past few days  is that this is a very old method of preserving food ... salting , then the slow cooking in fat( at temps up to, not exceeding 85Deg C)  keeps moisture in the meat , breaks down connective tissue , and provides a shortish term storage life for the confit meat - the fat. ..and the cooking temp /salt help .
Fruit confit is done in a heavy sugar syrup ...

• Like 1

@persephone

Ohh right I forgot about the high fat content. And yes confit is very nice and juicy (French confit duck is very tasty and indulgent! :) ) Also the fat forms a sort of seal I’m pretty sure. (Like Pâté, it’s usually topped with melted butter or fat which solidified and forms an airtight seal in the ramiken to stop the pâté from oxidising.) 

• Like 1

I know my westie wouldn't be able to eat this due to the fat content. Beef mince is too fatty and upsets his tum, so food cooked in fat would be a disaster. I've never seen the point of tinned food when it is so much easier, and significantly less stinkier, to feed fresh mince or meat.

Edited by karen15
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Alibi said:

To the people wondering if dogs can go into ketosis, check out keto pet sanctuary in America where they are helping treat many dogs with cancer with the help of a Keto diet.   

Missing the point a bit. A 'keto' diet is a normal dog diet. I want to know if a) dogs actually go into ketosis and if they do is it a natural state for them. 

• Like 1

On 20/11/2017 at 7:18 PM, Agota Jakutyte said:

Dear ALL,

Thank you for your messages, it really makes me super happy that all of you are conscious dog owners!   But I want all of us to agree that IF I VALIDATE MY ANSWERS WITH LONG TERM SCIENTIFIC RESEARCHES, I want YOU TO BASE YOUR OPINION WITH SCIENCE TOO.  Because now most of you just telling your opinion which is fine for discussion, but then do not appeal that we are FAKES/DO EVERYTHING FOR MARKETING.... 

This is a perfectly reasonable request. I think most if us here would definitely agree, and await such validation.
But we would make the proviso that the long term scientific researches are specifically related to canines - in the part, discoveries regarding human (omnivorous) diet have been applied to non-omnivorous domesticated species such as dogs with sad effects.

Edited by RuralPug
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Danois said:

It doesn't really matter if it is or not. Fact is that regardless, it won't meet AU import laws so becomes a moot point. 

It is not just Australian dogs I am concerned about

• Like 1

I've read about keto for dogs for the treatment of illness, disease, cancer and weightloss but not as maintenance, prevention or daily nutrition.

I'm definitely one to watch new fads work themselves out and prove themselves before trying it so this is certainly interesting.

I feed raw because I like the known benefits but specifically that it is fresh, there has been no process other than mixing/mincing of the product, and I know exactly what I put in his mixes.

Even the dry I feed is Australian made because I don't want radiated food.

@Agota Jakutyte - do you even plan to release in Australia? And if so, given bio security laws, has a site been found to manufacture this food?

@Danois - thanks for the facts! knew you would be able to provide the quick stats. Do you know if these laws apply to NZ imported too? I have occasionally used K9 Naturals given they're only coming from across the water...

• Like 2