Papers

TamaraW

I’m getting a puppy this weekend and just need a little information about papers. I have googled to no avail.

The pups mum is a pure bred Border Collie but is not registered and doesn’t have ‘papers’ as she has been bred from working dogs but the dad is from a registered breeder. Should I still get some sort of papers? If not, is there a way to get my new girl papers to prove her pedigree?

You only get papers when both parents are registered and owned by registered breeders. A dog is only proved pedigree when these papers are present, so no, it doesn’t look like there will be any papers for your puppy or any way to get them. 
It is weird that a registered breeder has allowed their dog to breed with a non registered one tho.. 

57 minutes ago, TamaraW said:

is there a way to get my new girl papers to prove her pedigree?

Short answer- No . A pedigree is a family tree - proven ancestry  from dogs registered with the state's Canine Association. As Pup's mother has NO such proven ancestry, there will be no pedigree available . 

• Like 1

I suspect this is the reason the RNSWCC changed its public name to Dogs NSW.  Its board foresaw that to remain relevant to the pet owning public who do not own an ankc registered dog, they can still encourage people to join as a social club for working dog, earth dog trials etc and events open to unpedigreed dogs

• Like 2

No papers and chances are not health tested for important Border Collie issues .
The issue you have is you have to take the pedigree part on face value ,the pup may 100% be but without the papers there is no proof .
Registered father could mean any registery to registered with the council but if the owner doesn't actually have the papers in there possession there have no real clue either .
Depending on why you need the papers & that can be for very legit reasons you in this case wont be able to get any form off proof as to your pups actual parentage or history .
Hopefully you discussed all this with the person with the puppies prior to committing & the breeder should have fully explained the pups have no paper trail as such that your simply buying the pup on face value & honesty

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Raksha said:

It is weird that a registered breeder has allowed their dog to breed with a non registered one tho.. 

"The dad is from a registered breeder" does not mean the current owner of the dog is registered just that the dad would have some sort of papers, either main or limited if the breeder was ANKC. Could be registered with the local council for all anyone knows.

Depends why you are anxious to get “papers”.  If it is because you want to compete in Obedience, Retrieving, Earthdog etc (depending on the breed type). I think you will find that DogsNSW has an associate register  that you can register your dog on for competition purposes.

Dogs on associate registers cannot be shown or bred from.

3 hours ago, JRG said:

Depends why you are anxious to get “papers”.  If it is because you want to compete in Obedience, Retrieving, Earthdog etc (depending on the breed type). I think you will find that DogsNSW has an associate register  that you can register your dog on for competition purposes.

Dogs on associate registers cannot be shown or bred from.

The only requirement for registering your dog on the Associate Register with Dogs NSW is that the dog is desexed

On 05/11/2020 at 11:45 AM, TamaraW said:

I’m getting a puppy this weekend and just need a little information about papers. I have googled to no avail.

The pups mum is a pure bred Border Collie but is not registered and doesn’t have ‘papers’ as she has been bred from working dogs but the dad is from a registered breeder. Should I still get some sort of papers? If not, is there a way to get my new girl papers to prove her pedigree?

No. Sadly IMO, the ANCK will not give papers unless both parents are registered.  Some other sort of papers could be done up but they won't cut the mustard with the pedigree world. 

Edited by sandgrubber