Jump to content

Advice please


Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, 

I had a litter of pups and 1 of the puppies had a bit of an oesophagus issue. I sold the pup to a family and had told them everything I knew about said pup, his diet that doesn’t upset him and even gave them food and some medicine to take home with the pup. After purchase I had the pup for another 2 weeks as she couldn’t pick him up at 8 weeks and he was doing very well happy, playing, eating fine, toiletting fine etc. day after pick up I had a phone call saying they had him put down due to his issue and basically are demanding their money back. The vet said there was a surgery that could fix his issue. They did not contact me before making the decision and I have informed them that I would have taken him back with a full refund and I would have given the pup the vet care that he needed. 

Edited by Elle23
Incorrect spelling
  • Sad 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ask them politely to email you a copy of the invoice from their vet as you need it to show your vet who would like to consult with their vet on the reasons for the euthanasia.

it does sound a little sus

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rebanne said:

Did you have a contract? Did it mention his health problem?

No I didn’t have a contract, I’m not a registered breeder it was an accidental litter I just sold them all privately 

  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Boronia said:

Ask them politely to email you a copy of the invoice from their vet as you need it to show your vet who would like to consult with their vet on the reasons for the euthanasia.

it does sound a little sus

I will ask for vet documentation soon but am just too upset and still trying to understand, everyone I have spoken to about the matter are all confused and think they are either trying to scam me (meaning they haven’t actually put him down) or didn’t realise how much effort pup needed even tho I had specifically gone over every detail that I knew

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you will just have to suck it up and refund the money on proof of euthanasia. The new owners did do wrong but sounds like you shouldn't have sold the pup either. Mega oesophagus is terribly hard to deal with. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Elle23 said:

No I didn’t have a contract, I’m not a registered breeder it was an accidental litter I just sold them all privately 

Also I feel I should add that I stay in contact with other owners of my dogs siblings/ parents and have now found out after the litter were born that the mother of my dog and her sister had the same issue and they both outgrew it , my dogs have no health issues

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rebanne said:

I think you will just have to suck it up and refund the money on proof of euthanasia. The new owners did do wrong but sounds like you shouldn't have sold the pup either. Mega oesophagus is terribly hard to deal with. 

She was aware of his condition when she picked him out and said she was completely fine with it although yes at times it could be hard to deal with when he would have an upset it didn’t change his personality and didn’t affect him from his playtime and normal puppy behaviour I feel as though they gave him different food from what I supplied them with and it caused an upset and they couldn’t handle it and didn’t want to pay the money for the surgery he could have had, I said in another reply I had found out after he was born other dogs in the bloodline had that issue but outgrew it I am completely saddened that they cut his life short and now want me to be out of pocket what I have paid for in the 2 weeks they technically owned him for but I still had him in my care 

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Loving my Oldies said:

You must be devastated.  Shocking and disgusting thing for them to have done.  

I’m absolutely shattered, I grew to love him so much and so did my mum she wanted him I was already a bit heartbroken when I sold him and that just made it so much worse 

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Who euthanaises a pup without contacting the breeder before doing it? Surely his issue wasn't so grave as to require that as a first option? Especially as his condition was disclosed prior to them agreeing to take him, and diet, etc was provided to ensure he stayed as healthy as he could be...

 

You managed to raise him to 10 weeks as a happy healthy pup... so what went so horribly wrong within 24 hours of him leaving your place?

 

T.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, tdierikx said:

Who euthanaises a pup without contacting the breeder before doing it? Surely his issue wasn't so grave as to require that as a first option? Especially as his condition was disclosed prior to them agreeing to take him, and diet, etc was provided to ensure he stayed as healthy as he could be...

 

You managed to raise him to 10 weeks as a happy healthy pup... so what went so horribly wrong within 24 hours of him leaving your place?

 

T.

My guess is that they didn’t give him the gripe water before feeds like I said to (that played a massive role in him being able to eat because he had bad colic) and they didn’t feed him the correct food I supplied. They said that after he ate he was in terrible pain? Which makes me wonder what they fed him because he was fine when I fed him his correct diet I adore animals and I wouldn’t have let him suffer massively and just play it off like it’s nothing for money. I asked them a lot of questions and I got multiple different answers that all contradicted one another so I really am at a loss at what to do 

  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally this pup should never have been sold until you absolutely new it’s future .

You should have had a very clear contract outlining the pups health issues, attached vet reports  and updated vet visit before leaving to cover you and ensure you had documented proof the owners where very well aware off the issue ,what may be required as an adult ,the potential methods off feeding into adulthood either raised ,in a special chair to eat upright .

This issue isn’t for the faint hearted and insurance wouldn’t cover it .

Condition of sale and if it doesn’t work out pup is to be returned .

 

A dog with this condition can go downhill very quickly  and given pup needed gripe water to eat is alarming .

 

I would certainly insist on a vet letter to say they have PTS sooner than later and refund and be wiser next time .

 

whilst the litter was not planned you are a breeder that comes under the law off selling faulty goods .

 

Your not out of pocket ,you knowingly choice to sell the pup with issues .

 

 

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

If their vet advised euthanasia and they can supply proof I doubt you have any recourse except to refund the purchase price. You sold an unwell/special needs puppy  and you have nothing in writing, or so it sounds, to show that you did so with full disclosure and they accepted the risk. You might even be in breach of animal welfare laws for selling a sick animal. I would ask for their vet to confirm their story but if they acted on vet advice and take you to a small claims court, I would expect them to win.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Diva said:

If their vet advised euthanasia and they can supply proof I doubt you have any recourse except to refund the purchase price. You sold an unwell/special needs puppy  and you have nothing in writing, or so it sounds, to show that you did so with full disclosure and they accepted the risk. You might even be in breach of animal welfare laws for selling a sick animal. I would ask for their vet to confirm their story but if they acted on vet advice and take you to a small claims court, I would expect them to win.

 

I have proof of disclosure in messages and  updates on how he is doing they were fully aware of his condition prior and post sale. This is why I’m on here I will be getting in contact with a lawyer to see where I stand but I do appreciate what everyone has to say here. I still believe that getting in contact with me and returning him would have been a better option for everyone involved as I said above, I have never heard of someone doing this before hand. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, returning him to you would have been the best thing.
But I can put myself in their shoes too - if he was in great pain, and their vet told them the kindest thing was to euthanise, and raised doubts about future quality of life? Maybe cast doubts on the accuracy of your prognosis, and forecast a much more difficult and painful life than you told them was likely? Most people would listen to their vet over someone who says they are not even a breeder, but just had an accidental litter. I know that sounds harsh, and its just speculation, but it is not hard to see how it could play out. 

Edited by Diva
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/04/2021 at 6:57 PM, Elle23 said:

I have proof of disclosure in messages and  updates on how he is doing they were fully aware of his condition prior and post sale. This is why I’m on here I will be getting in contact with a lawyer to see where I stand but I do appreciate what everyone has to say here. I still believe that getting in contact with me and returning him would have been a better option for everyone involved as I said above, I have never heard of someone doing this before hand. 

But you have no signed paperwork that clearly outlined the issues and expectations.

No one here actually knows what degree the issue is ,to have it at this age is pretty serious .

 

Did you see a specialist for a second vet report ?

Our puppy owners are encouraged to get a vet inspection in 48 hrs .

It’s clearly outlined regarding refund,return policy and life return policy .

All this is clearly communicated .

We also note why the cost off the pup is different .

We are effectively selling a faulty good .

In your case a faulty good with an unknown future at time of purchase ,may grow out,may need surgery,may cut life span short ,May be a life long expense and also a very strict feeding routine for life if severe .

 

I will add we have sold 1 pup  with issue and the sales contract and conditions where very different to our normal scenario and the degree and involvement in the owners knowledge important .

Vet reports,specialist reports ,pup was not sold until 5 months to ensure where things stood .

Pup had a heart issue our vet was very confident it would outgrow which it did but they also suggested hanging onto pup as once active things can change either way .

It was our responsibility to do right there .

The contract clearly stated they knowingly brought the pup with full understanding of the current status .

fully enough a lawyer brought the pup who was impressed with pre sale communications,vet reports etc 

 

 

Im sorry but text/SMS messages aren’t how to communicate puppy sales and serious health issues.

 

 

As for saying your dogs have no health issues that is not true .

3 animals within the lines have this issue.

This is a health issue .

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Elle23 said:

Also I feel I should add that I stay in contact with other owners of my dogs siblings/ parents and have now found out after the litter were born that the mother of my dog and her sister had the same issue and they both outgrew it , my dogs have no health issues

Except this one!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good afternoon to anyone still following this post, I’ve had confirmation from their vet that the euthanisation was their decision and the vet had suggested getting in contact with me to see if I would take the pup back. I have been sent all the vets notes and will not be issuing a refund to them. He was in no state where euthanasia was necessary. 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Elle23 said:

Good afternoon to anyone still following this post, I’ve had confirmation from their vet that the euthanisation was their decision and the vet had suggested getting in contact with me to see if I would take the pup back. I have been sent all the vets notes and will not be issuing a refund to them. He was in no state where euthanasia was necessary. 

They had also fed him a ridiculous amount in the short time they had him and did not follow the diet I had for him 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...