Antihistamines

I'm an oldie and in the habit of using benadryl for bee stings and other minor allergic stuff.  I was surprised when my vet recommended trying another over the counter med.  I see there are at least 3 recommend options these days

https://www.kingsdale.com/antihistamines-for-dogs-when-to-use-them-dosage-schedules-and-more

Wonder how others have done with the newer options.  Trying an itchy boy on Loratadine ATM.  So far so good.

• Like 1

Last year when Molly kept getting hives ( very mysteriously at night only)  the vet recommended loratadine. It held her off for a few hours but she seemed a bit sleepy/quiet on them. She stopped getting the hives but was still itchy so she was given the cytopoint injection. That fixed all. 

I’ve used fexofenadine 180 (Telfast) for a big swollen face reaction on my dog from an insect sting. Recommended by the vet and worked fine. None of mine have ongoing allergies but I do, so that was what I had on hand for me. 

• Like 1

Zyrtec is popular because it's such an easy dosage rate of 1mg/kg once a day.

I get allergies myself, but the over-the-counter unrestricted stuff doesn't work for me... I take the pseudo loaded ones... so can't give those to my dogs... errr!

I might have to grab a box of Zyrtec for my doggy medicine kit... thanks for the reminder.

T.