Uncontrollable Urge To Pee. Stops On Vomit

Erny

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bugger, bugger, bugger :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sick today and I've had a bit of time to (finally) catch up here on DOL... I was hoping for some good news all 'round...

Hang in there buddy and chin up :cry:

Waiting, as everyone else, for tomorrows test results...

Kal's not been doing well, I'm afraid. Another GM seizure at 12.45am on 7th June. Then another at 5.15am on 10th June. The discharge from her right nostril returned (but no blood). This seems to have since stopped and is now running clear again. I had to leave her for a while that day and when I came back there was evidence of another GM seizure. Judging by her behaviour, I would guess this would have occurred at about 2.00pm.

Beyond that, I'm guessing she had at least two (if not three or four) pettit mal seizures - I'm not sure, I haven't seen one of those before. Well, I have seen a video clippage of one. Kal's wasn't like that. I was sitting with her on her mat. She started to whine and was looking around ... at times towards her rear end. I was thinking she might have been feeling pain. Her eyes were very open and round. Reminded me a little bit of what she can be like coming out of GA. This went on for about 20 minutes (?). Then she went into her pattern of "I've got to walk; I've got to go through my regime of routines". Her legs and feet didn't belong to her, so as usual, I followed her around to help her out from time to time. Normally this "pacing" behaviour lasts for 1.5 hours following a GM seizure. This time it only lasted for about 1/2 hour.

In these days in between I have been communicating with Kal's Vet. He's been great - very supportive, and has made himself contactable over this long weekend.

Due to the frequency of the seizures, Kal is now on phenobarbitone (anti-convulsant drugs). We were hoping not to have to go on these until we at least get the results of the other blood tests we're waiting for, but there've been too many seizures, so she began on these last night. The Vet explains it can take 2 weeks for them to 'kick in'. And, of course, it's a matter of finding the right doseage.

A couple of the blood test results have come in. Unfortunately they are "normal". We are waiting for a couple more - expected next week, but unless these show a specific rise in certain hormones, then drug therapy for the tumour/s will not be indicated.

If then, the phenobarbitole doesn't help considerably, I know Kal can't live like she is presently. I'm really only giving time to see what the results of the remaining blood tests are, and to see if the seizure frequency begins to lessen.

There have been some small changes to Kal's normal behaviours. Eg. Doesn't quite lick the food bowl clean as she used to. Has begun to pee inside if I'm not right there to open up the front door (at what ever time). Urinating more frequently. And in the last couple of days, drinking excessively. I'm not sure if phenobarbitole would cause that. :cry: She seems to jump easily at the smallest of things (a cough; or a leaf falling). At times her hearing seems to be super sensitive, and yet I've noticed the considerable general decline of her hearing over the last couple of months.

Poor, sweet Kal. She is presently enjoying the sunshine on the verandah (under her blanket, of course ;)). If she is up for it, I will take her for a drive and a visit to one of our local parks .... just for her to have a sniff around and suss out the news in her neighbourhood.

I am presently dog sitting my sister's dog "Monty". He's been very good about everything. Seeing Kal seizure. Not getting a great deal of attention from me given that I'm fairly pre-occupied with Kal. I do talk to him throughout, though, and show him what attentions I can. He seems to be fine with that. Last time he was here, he was starting to push his dominance status over Kal. This time, he seems to simply allow her her space. ......... Dogs are great. :p

Edited, because I mispelt the medication name ;)

Edited by Erny

Thanks Cody. It's a loooooooong thread, as it's turned out. Much of it has been the support Kal and I have received from the many good people here :cry:. I had held off posting here over the last few days. Was hoping to be able to put up some mind blowing good news. "What will be, will be", though. We're both doing ok. Hangin' in there for each other, I think.

Edited by Erny

Thanks Christina. And thank you for the "white light" ..... directing it towards Kal. ;)

Gave each of the dogs a bone to gnaw on. Kal was still on her beanbag under her blankets and I was a bit alarmed to see her chewing her bone, but still laying on her side and not using her front paws to hold the bone steady. I tried to encourage her off her beanbag because I was suspicious that her legs had become paralysed. She wouldn't get up. I let her be, under her blankets for 5 minutes. It's ok! Seems she was just a bit too comfortable to move. ;)

She is now inside (as is Monty) and having had her mid-day meal of cooked chicken, is resting on Monty's (she always favours his stuff, even though she has her own :cry:) cushion bed, in front of the fire. :p

Edited by Erny

hi

glad to know you are hanging in their Erny, i hope the next blood tests have some better news and the meds start working for Kal. i know what your going through :cry: .

sending you lots of well wishes and good vibes.

Sorry to hear you don't have better news, Erny. You and Kal are really going through a tough time - but what a lucky girl she is to have someone as devoted to her welfare as you are. In so far as good thoughts can help, you certainly have those from down here.

:p :cry: So sorry to hear of Kals increasing seizures, hopefully the medication will bring some respite. I am tearful as I read this, knowing how hard you have tried to find the answers.

So here are some big hugs for you and Kal, :cry: ;) ;)

It's certainly good weather for snuggling into a warm blanket and sleeping, and I think all our dogs know and appreciate just how good that is, along with a bit of cooked chicken, life is still good.

Thanks all, for your continued support.

Since the Phenabarbitone, Kal hasn't had another GM seizure, but I'm sure she has multiples of these smaller (Pettit Mal?) seizures. A lot easier for her (and I) to take, though.

I took Kal and Monty to the local park late this afternoon. Kal had some runs (! :(:love: ) and even grabbed the stick Monty was carrying in his mouth as he ran, and took it from him! She fairly easily managed one full lap of the park. Last night, she pulled out many of Monty's toys from his toy basket. Tonight, whilst I was tidying Monty's blankets on his bed, Kal kind of leaped up and over to the corner of the room, and then lept back. Ears pricked, typical Ridgy forehead wrinkle very evident. These moments are like as if she's back in her puppyhood (not that I had her as a pup) or something. She is normally such a sobersile (sp?) ..... has been since I've had her anyway (apart from very rare 'silly' moments) and she NEVER, I repeat NEVER, plays with toys or runs after them!

If this wasn't all so tragic, I'd be delighted! But alas, I do think what I'm seeing isn't "Kal" in the here and now. There are other things such as her poor seizure weary legs letting her down, and some disorientation leading her to pee inside (something Kal was always VERY careful not to do) .... but hey, :cheer:, who cares about a bit of dog pee here and there. :cheer: However, her "puppy like" antics do bring a smile to my face and if she believes she's a youngster, then that's great as far as I'm concerned. It's all quite weird and fascinating at the same time. Gotta love her. She's a big dag.

Glad to hear the latest on Kal, she seems to have had a bit of fun today. Can't help but laugh a such a big dog breed goofing off like a puppy. :love:

I've checked on the effects of Phenobarbitol and some of the side effects match those shown in Kal. They should be tolerable and not too unpleasant, as long as it has the desired anticonvulsant effect on the GM seizures.

Here goes, a couple of snippets.

http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/Datasheet...arbitonetab.htm

Phenobarbitone acts as a nonselective depressant of the central nervous system capable of producing all levels of CNS mood alteration from excitation to mild sedation, hypnosis and deep coma. In sufficiently high doses, barbiturates induce anaesthesia.

Recent studies have suggested that the sedative-hypnotic and anticonvulsant effects of barbiturates may be related to their ability to enhance and/or mimic the inhibitory synaptic action of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA).

Animal studies have shown that barbiturates cause reduction in the tone and contractility of the uterus, ureters, and urinary bladder;

The mood alteration apparently settles down after a while, but luckily the mood seems to be not unpleasant for Kal. The urinary mishaps also point to the Phenobarb medication.

Hope you have a good day tomorrow, thinking of both of you.

:cheer:

Erny,

Just to let you know that Kal is constantly in my thoughts and prayers...dear sweet girl has been through so much ( along with you). The medication effect can settle after a while and sometimes there is some adjusting to do until they do settle.

Sending tonnes of healing energy to you both.

Hugs

Helen