Wandering

Guest RobynBat

Guest RobynBat

Hi All,

We live on a small property in Nth Qld.

We purchased a girl staffie puppy (pedigree without papers) from our neighbours, she is now 18 mths old.

She started going down the back to our neighbours and we had to constantly bring her back home.

She is desexed.

We then thought it would be a good idea to purchase another pup to keep her company and maybe that would stop her wandering and going down the back....to the neighbours and beyond.

So we purchased a boy staffie (now desexed and also pedigree without papers) and he is now 11 months old.

The problem is they both now just take off into the bush and have been gone for as long as 36 hours and we of course thought we would never see them again.

This now happens constantly for anything up to 24 hours.

So we now have to keep the elder (Coco) either on a lead or in their dog run to stop them wandering.

He will not go without her but she will definately go without him...she is the problem...to the point that we are considering selling her to someone out of the area and that may stop her wandering??

We would certianly appreciate any advice

Simple a fence,if the dogs arent securley & correctly housed they will wander & be a nuisance.You dont just get rid off a dog without actually doing something first,The dog obviously is able to go off when ever it feels like,has done so for awhile & now its a problem which isnt her fault .

Theres no mircale answer except not allowing it to happen .

I presume they are outside dogs & dont get alot of stimulation or walks etc?

erect them a fence and dont pass your problem on to someone else. When you buy a dog you take it for life not give it away or sell it because you can not be bothered.

sorry if this upsets you but would you get rid of a child just because they are naughty?

Edited by isaviz

why on earth didnt you erect a fence in the first place?? i'm sorry but i think it is pretty obvious what you should do. why get a dog..let alone two, if you didnt have a secure fence in the first place? letting a dog wander is simply irresponsible.

Have you actually considered fencing? Dogs aren't born knowing their boundaries. You can't just expect them to stay close to home (especially when home isn't offering anything in the way of love and stimulation). If you want your dogs to stay in your yard.... BUILD A FENCE!

fencing can be a pain on a property and if they are already wandering a conventional farm fence isnt good enough.

Just fence a smallish area or erect or buy a pen which they can be in when you arent there to supervise. There is no other solution Im afraid .Any breed of dog will do this ,though some more than others .Its your responsibility to make sure you have them enclosed so they cant leave the property .

Julie

fencing can be a pain on a property and if they are already wandering a conventional farm fence isnt good enough.

My parents had a property and our garden as such wasn't fenced. The dogs could have gone wandering off if they wanted to.

Hummmm - why is the dog going there? Does she miss her mum? Do the people feed her? Is there somewhere there all the time esp when there is nobody at your place?

Agree your easiest solution may be to have a "house yard".

What about a dog run, guys? With adequated shelter, water etc of course!

We used to have a lab x GSD & that was the only way we could keep her home.

I agree with the replies you have got.

I have 4 restricted breed dogs that, by law, require an enclosure, adequate fencing etc. A really simple solution would be to put down my dogs, did I do that...no way. I went to great lengths to be able to scrape a few thousand $$$ so that I could comply with the law. I wasnt going the easy way out, never even crossed my mind.

Heres a pic of my enclosure which didnt really cost me much at all (the avery was already there):

gravel 1/2tonne = $16.50

4 bags cement = $25

steel mesh (2 sheets) = $80

chicken wire = free (courtesy of mum and dad)

timber posts = free (courtesy of mum and dad) - if you live on property and could cut a few small trees down and hack of the bark

horseshoe nails = $18

lock for door = $10

070806002.jpg

This is only the front of the enclosure and it runs about 10m in length, and is about 7ft high. It would'nt cost thousands to build something like this.

Make the effort and build/errect something for them to be contained in while your not there.

Mel

Hi RobynBat,

We also live on a property and I am sure our dogs would go visiting if we didn't restrict them. We have erected a fence made from wooden poles and wooden rails top and bottom with chicken wire as the main body of the fence. This provides a secure backyard type area from the back of the house to however you want the fencing to finish and then the dogs can only wander the property when we are with them and they are being supervised.

OHH cummon...as if you would question why your dogs are wandering disregarding the fact that you dont have a fence....CUMMON!!!!!!! unless ofcourse we assumed that you didnt have a fence coz u never actualy sed that you dunt but u never denied it either....so yeah

So we now have to keep the elder (Coco) either on a lead or in their dog run to stop them wandering.

He will not go without her but she will definately go without him.......

Problem solved already

:thumbsup: Keep Coco in the dog run, or let them both in the house with you.