Your Pups Meals

Dogs aren't like humans in their taste for food and needing something different all the time. They eat to get the nutrition required to live, not because they crave something sweet or savoury for instance.

They will happily eat a good dog meal day after day. Depending on what you are feeding your dog, you could use a different meat base every few days if you make it yourself.

My dogs are basically fed a good quality Working dog formula of dry food. I buy in in large bags so the eat it everyday until it is finished and they love it. For variety they get some lamb necks, briket bones, chicken wings, table scraps and training treats. Sometimes I give them some eggs or sardines for a treat.

I have fed my dogs like that for many years and never had any health or nutrition problems ever.

That is just my opinion and I have found that it works so far. My dogs love their tucker and have never turned their noses up at food just because its what they have had for the last 6 months!

Dogs aren't like humans in their taste for food and needing something different all the time. They eat to get the nutrition required to live, not because they crave something sweet or savoury for instance.

Dont agree -sorry. :rofl:

I cant feed Paris the same thing twice, she would rather go without than eat the same thing twice. :clap:

So therefor I mix up her meals with yoghurt or an egg or creamy sauce etc.

She doesnt touch dog food.

If no one believes me about feeding her the same thing twice I am happy to prove it. (Even if its with steak!) :)

If anyone can tell me why im more than happy to hear it- just dont say because shes spoilt- because I know. :rofl:

Our two get dry food, and diced beef with pasta/rice and vegies, for most meals, and this seems to work well for them. The younger one who is very underweight also gets puppy mince to help him fatten up (recommended by vet). They also get the standard bones, left overs etc.

Honestly, they don't seem to get bored as such- sometimes they will leave a bit of dry food behind, but if they are hungry, they will eat the lot. If you are worried about them being bored, just includ a few treats/bones every now and then.

R

Lilly gets the chicken and rice VIP Roll or pal puppy + Puppy Kibble ( whatever I happen to get at the time as I tend to chop and change but mainly by the Pal.)

She also gets chicken necks/wings, brisket bones,treats for training, left overs and the occassional little piece of peanut butter toast.

I was making up cooked mince and rice with vegies, but she didn't touch that even after 3 days ( the cooks go it), so gave up and went back to the Roll/Tin.

If anyone can tell me why im more than happy to hear it- just dont say because shes spoilt- because I know. :)

Because you've created a dog who knows that if she refuses you'll put something different down. Dogs will not starve themselves to death. She's got you under control.

My dogs eat the same thing, just in different variations

Sometimes chicken mince, veges etc

Sometimes fish, vege, etc

Same diet week in week out just different to the previous day

and Paris is spoilt lol

i agree it is not about taste it is about nutrition and making sure puppy has a balanced diet.

I would try:

good quality puppy biscuit (unless u have decided on raw diet completely)

a raw egg a few times a week

veges pulped up in the blender atleast once a day (only a half table spoon)

meat (this is where you can vary so that pup gets a good variety and good nutrition)

fish product once or twice a week (salmon is good)

plain yoghurt in with the night meal (only a half table spoon)

feed pup in small amounts a few times a day until he is a bit bigger then drop it down to morning and night.

introduce chicken wings once pup is bigger !

a good quality treat for training (not too much salt)

and i would thoroughly recommend a baby kong toy - inside freeze mince, veges and yoghurt this is good for babies brain as it tries to work out how to get the food out.... it is also good for the jaws !

My dogs have always been fed the same thing day in, day out. If for any reason they don't eat what is put in front of them it's because the don't feel well, not that they are bored.....

Chicken mince, rice, oatmeal, dry food for dinner. Breakfast is VIP chicken roll. Occasionally leftovers, occasionally vegetables if I am making vegetables for dinner.

I find that feeding them routinely suits their gut and yo instantly know if they are not well (judging the behaviour at either end of the dog).

Sorry, if my dog doenst eat what they are given, they go hungry - i not fussing around changing foods for them

kaos also gets the runs bad when i do a food change over, i im in the process of doing a change from supercoat to nurto, and she has a touch of the runs. They get the same thing.

they get some fish once aweek and a few bones - they are happy

Guest Piximatosis

My little man Brody will sometimes turn his nose up at his food. I give him a few minutes and if he hasn't started eating it, I take it away and give it to Holly. That REALLY gives him the tomtits and he will scoff the next thing he's given! :)

Here they have kibble and goat's milk for breakfast and kibble with either fresh mince & vegies or a bit of Nature's Gift for dinner, depending on what's in the house. They also get chicken frames, brisket bones etc in place of their usual dinner a couple of times a week.

I was feeding purely BARF but it became impossible to keep weight on Kaeleigh and it's easier to feed them all the same thing rather than have different diets for each of them.

Minnie gets a couple of spoonfulls of Nature's Gift and whatever pieces of my toast I deign to give her for breakfast and dinner is either a cup of kibble (good quality one) with a small tin of tuna or a cup of a mix I do myself - pasta, vegges, meat etc that changes every time I make it.

She'll also get 4 - 5 chicken necks or a small frame 1 - 2 times a week instead of dinner and 2 chicken necks as I feel like it.

Edited by tramissa

My guys get the same every night too. If they don't eat it, they go hungry. Very rarely does one refuse a meal and if they do, I know there is something wrong.

The only exception to their "normal" meal is when they're given meaty bones, chicken frames or necks and wings as extras but their base meal remains the same...only the amount differs as a rule.

Now if my skinkids were as UNFUSSY as the furkids I'd be a LOT happier!! :)

I feed BARF so my dogs do get a bit of variety but it's not to prevent boredom I just want to give them different meat sources.

One day they'll have all chicken, the next they will get some beef, the next some lamb, the next some fish etc etc.

Arnold inhales anything I give him. He eats chicken frames like a croc. He has only just gone onto big boys kibble from the puppy formula.

He has scrambled eggs or vegemite on a 4x2 bicky for breakfast.

And he has Bonnie kibble and chicken with veges and rice most nights, then a few times a week he has meaty beef bones(sometimes brisket) or lamb flaps to chomp on.

He also has table scraps, depending on what we have :rofl:

He's a happy healthy growing lad.

Dont agree -sorry. :p

I cant feed Paris the same thing twice, she would rather go without than eat the same thing twice. :mad

So therefor I mix up her meals with yoghurt or an egg or creamy sauce etc.

She doesnt touch dog food.

If no one believes me about feeding her the same thing twice I am happy to prove it. (Even if its with steak!) :rofl:

If anyone can tell me why im more than happy to hear it- just dont say because shes spoilt- because I know. :p

oh my god i have finally found someone in the same position as me!!

it's a bit crazy too, because our dogs have the same name..

but my Paris (boy Paris), is so picky about his food. Sometimes he doesn't touch his kibble for a day! (or two!)

When I add yummy stuff to his kibble, he'll eat the yummy stuff and spit out the kibble.

and yes, Paris is very spoilt too. :laugh:

(today he turned down a bottle of yakult! :( )