Fidos Fre-itch Flea Shampoo

Bought a bottle of Fidos Fre-Itch Flea shampoo today and reading the safety directions it says to wear elbow length gloves, do not let it contact skin, do not breathe vapours....yikes. I don't have elbow length gloves or a mask.

Does anyone use it and do you follow these safety directions when washing a dog?

If it's that bad for people is it really OK for dogs?

Edited by benny123

All that writing on the back of the bottle is quite extreme.

I have just finished a bottle of it and never used gloves. It only slightly irritated my skin, but no more than human shampoo. I have the worlds most sensative skin and dermatitis to boot, and had no major issues with it.

If your concerned, use some barrier cream first.

Malaseb also instructs we should wear gloves. I never have and haven't had any problems.

If it was too dangerous to have a product touch my own skin I certainly wouldn't be using it on my dogs.

Ditto!

Those instructions are more of a precaution than gospel and it means that the company has covered their butts legally.

Use it as you would any normal shampoo. :thumbsup:

I dont use the shampoo because I am too lazy to wash it off, I have been using the free itch rinse for more years than I can remember and because I am lazy I put them through the hydrobath. I have 3 shepherds all jumping in together when we are finished I usually have more on me than they have. It has never given me a rash or made me sick nor the dogs, I previously over the years used it on boxers and vizslas. The dogs smell great and so do I :laugh: and none of us ever get ticks or fleas :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone,

Gave them a bath and wore surgical gloves (only type I have - I use them for crumbing schnitzel etc) and I probably shouldn't have bothered. With all the shennanigans going on in the bath I had as much on me as they did :thumbsup:

Anyway, we all survived and they smell lovely - which is nice for a flea shampoo.

Cheers

As mentioned in my last post - we used it on Saturday and no one died :mad

I'm not home at present (away on a buiness trip), however, OH tells me that the dogs are now scratching like crazy and thinks that this shampoo has irritated their skin. He can't see any fleas (on the dogs or in the house etc).

Has anyone had this type of reaction from this (or any other flea) shampoo and have any advice on what should be done now?

Should he bathe them again in an oatmeal shampoo to soothe their skin or just leave it and hope it settles down?

I'll be in the doghouse when I get home as I was the one who purchased that shampoo.

Fidos is soap free and hypoallergenic so unlikely to usually cause skin irritation but then stranger things have happened and you might be unlucky to have an overly sensitive puppy.

Is your puppy on any other kind of flea prevention other than the shampoo? My instincts are that he has fleas as you will find that the effects of a flea shampoo are only good for around 3 days tops. You may not be able to see fleas either as they are light sensitive as will duck away as you try to part fur. You can try the oatmeal shampoo and see how you go - it may provide some relief. If your pup is not on other flea prevention I would be getting him on some asap.

Failing that - I would be off to your vet to check the cause - the possibilities are endless.

Edited by Georgie-boy

A company protecting their butt from litigation IN CASE, someone has adverse reaction to shampoo.. then they can say... "we printed on the label"....

(ETA: if you do have sensitive skin, probably a good idea to use gloves. I have sensitive skin, but have not had a problem using the product. Maybe if I had a dog wash business with my skin, and long term exposure of hands in shampoo, then maybe I may have a reaction. But that could be just as much from having my hands in water all day than from the shampoo itself as any shampoo will strip the natural oils from the skin to a degree)

If you were using products like Malaban, Maldacin which are insecticide poisons for livestock then yes you have to glove up and use in well ventalated area.

Edited by Mystiqviewbcs

Malaban is awesome, the only product I'll use now! I live in far south west qld, we have major brown dog and roo tick problems out here. No paralysis ticks luckily. But since spraying my yard, dog bedding and actual dog with malaban, havent had a flea or tick some near the place in 3 months. Another good one is to use Sheep Mulesing Powder. Relatively cheap, and keeps flies and other insects off your dog.

I also doubt the reaction is caused by the shampoo. I have Staffords & have used Fido's shampoo with no dramas, my young girl is allergic to fleas so I just discovered!! She had 1 flea & came up in the most horrible lumps, I washed her in a horse shampoo I use & finished her off with the Fido's Itch Free Rinse as I do with them all. No fleas, nice smell & lumps almost gone. I would probably suggest the same as Cavnrot - just use the rinse once a week.

As for gloves etc I never have used them & haven't had a problem - even when I was pregnant both times.

You may find they have found something in the garden to roll in after the bath & have had a reaction to it. Check the belly & armpits, if it is red I would go & get some neocort from the vet. I keep a tube on hand all the time, it is great for minor skin irritations.

;) Goodluck ;)

Corrine

Fido's is normally very good for dogs with sensitive skin, it does wash right into the coat so I would be guessing the dogs haven't been rinsed properly. I would advise you to rewash them and be very thorough when rinsing.

I have seen so many dogs after their owners have bathed them, have residue from the shampoo still left in their coat it is one of the biggest causes of skin allergies.

I was going to say the same thing as Nicole, make sure you rinse, rinse, rinse when shampooing a dog and then rinse again!

Also, did you treat the house, bedding and other areas the dogs lie? Otherwise they could be reinfested

• 2 weeks later...
I was going to say the same thing as Nicole, make sure you rinse, rinse, rinse when shampooing a dog and then rinse again!

Also, did you treat the house, bedding and other areas the dogs lie? Otherwise they could be reinfested

Hi Becks, you make an excellent point with the anti-flea treatment. :rofl:

Now on to more important issues... since you are in the UK and obviously devoted to the Monarchy :laugh: I am wondering if you wake up an sing "God save the Queen" or if you secretly hum "Deutschland uber alles" when MI5 and MI6 are busy working to hush up the latest Lady Di scandal Documentary? :party:

On a serious note, during WW1 the Brits, in effort to show how "patriotic" they were started to wantonly kill all German Breed dogs... and our beloved "Sachs-Coburg" family bebadged themselves as "Windsors" to sound English and not German. Of couse Queen Victoria, the most sacred of Monarchs, loved a mad Prussian... the plot thickens. Remember after WW2 in Australia how the GSD was "banned" until the 60's... and then had to be called the "Alsation"... another propagandist "rebadging" to allow acceptance from a ignorant public. Makes me mad thinking about how superficial people are, and how its the animals that need to suffer. As if they could help it that Churchill stuffed up at Gallipoli and sacrificed "Colonial" Aussies as his cannon-fodder... or that he started the first concentration camps in the Boer War to teach some European Farmers a lesson that he was "number one" - and yes civilians were deliberately starved and let to die in unsanitory conditions because the Dutch, French and other free-thinkers did not fear the red-coat and fought to keep their farms. And all the time fearless Winnie was carrying a German Mauser Pistol as his beloved Side-Arm. Hmmm... Can anyone spell "Hypocrite" ? :rofl:

Hi Becks, you make an excellent point with the anti-flea treatment. :thumbsup:

Now on to more important issues... since you are in the UK and obviously devoted to the Monarchy :champagne: I am wondering if you wake up an sing "God save the Queen" or if you secretly hum "Deutschland uber alles" when MI5 and MI6 are busy working to hush up the latest Lady Di scandal Documentary? ;)

On a serious note, during WW1 the Brits, in effort to show how "patriotic" they were started to wantonly kill all German Breed dogs... and our beloved "Sachs-Coburg" family bebadged themselves as "Windsors" to sound English and not German. Of couse Queen Victoria, the most sacred of Monarchs, loved a mad Prussian... the plot thickens. Remember after WW2 in Australia how the GSD was "banned" until the 60's... and then had to be called the "Alsation"... another propagandist "rebadging" to allow acceptance from a ignorant public. Makes me mad thinking about how superficial people are, and how its the animals that need to suffer. As if they could help it that Churchill stuffed up at Gallipoli and sacrificed "Colonial" Aussies as his cannon-fodder... or that he started the first concentration camps in the Boer War to teach some European Farmers a lesson that he was "number one" - and yes civilians were deliberately starved and let to die in unsanitory conditions because the Dutch, French and other free-thinkers did not fear the red-coat and fought to keep their farms. And all the time fearless Winnie was carrying a German Mauser Pistol as his beloved Side-Arm. Hmmm... Can anyone spell "Hypocrite" ? :rofl:

Whats that got to do with Fidos anti itch flea wash? Did i miss something or did flames daddy feel the need to show us all how edumacated he really is :happydance2:

FD:

And all the time fearless Winnie was carrying a German Mauser Pistol as his beloved Side-Arm. Hmmm... Can anyone spell "Hypocrite" ?

I have a feeling this is more of FD's campaign of terror against the Miniature Poodle - Winston Churchill's breed of choice. Looks like I'm going to have to get Myzska to slap him again. :thumbsup:

I have used this on occasion with no ill effects except for one dog who scratched like crazy after it. I figured he might be allergic so I washed him again in alloveen which is what I usually use but had run out of on this occasion. Itching then stopped.

I usually treat fleas with advantage or revolution and just wash with a mild oatmeal shampoo.

Am lucky here, no flea problem. But I use Fido's Herbal Rinse for hydrobaths. No rinsing and wonderful clean smelling dogs. I recommend it to anyone with a hydro. Never had a problem with it or any other Fido product I have used.