Garlic Used As Natural Flea Repellent...

O-Ren

Garlic as a Natural Flea repellent  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Is GARLIC a beneficial repellent against fleas for your dogs???

• Yep Definatly, I use it instead of Frontline etc
    • Yep, although i use it in conjunction with Frontline, Advantage etc
    • Nope, Only seemed to keep the vampires at bay...

Please vote and by all means please elaborate...

Also wanted to know the method of dose? Garlic pill? or mixed fresh into dinner??

Did it help against fleas???

My two are using Frontline and flea washes at the hydrobath but the flea problem here is gastly... and O-Ren and Onyx are both going bald from the itches :) I am considering gettting them shaved to help them cope with the heat, dust and relentless fleas... but i wanted to ask about GARLIC first....

post-5931-1173770999.jpg

Frontline hasnt worked on fleas for a coupel of years now. Ever since they changed it to Frontline "Plus" it was less effective. Advantix DOES work, only lasts 3 weeks instead of the 4 that is on the pack however.........

EVERY dog I have on books on Frontline has fleas.........EVERY dog on my books on Advantix 7 Advantage have NO fleas...Grooming clients I am talkign about. I am in a flea plague area too.

Hi,

Both of our neighbours have a flea plague with their dogs at the moment. Both of my dogs have no problems. The only difference is that I put garlic in my dog's food at least every second day. I also use Advantix, instead of Frontline which the neighbours use.

Hope this helps.

I said nope - but I cant say I have tried it enough to actually get a good idea... I have put it into food on 2 ocassions and it is in most treat recipes... but that isnt enough to stop fleas I wouldnt think - so I havent seen results but probably havent tried hard enough.

I visit my relatives house regularly who have 4 dogs all with ticks or fleas. But my dogs never get any when I use them everyday. So there was a long period I got complacent and forgotten all about it, and 1 big tick got stuck on to the top of my maltese head sucked up real plump. Freaks me out from then on, garlic again.

O-Ren your poll doesn't give many choices.

I only voted to see results lol and did the middle one. I heard garlic wasn't good for dogs?

Please explain more, how old are your dogs? Is this a new thing? (the itchy scratchies). I use Advocate for fleas+ but don't like using chemicals but what else does one do? Sassafrass oil I hear is very potent, pennyroyal, lavendar.....

Onion and garlic poisoning

Onions and garlic are other dangerous food ingredients that cause sickness in dogs, cats and also livestock. Onions and garlic contain the toxic ingredient thiosulphate. Onions are more of a danger.

Pets affected by onion toxicity will develop haemolytic anaemia, where the pet’s red blood cells burst while circulating in its body.

At first, pets affected by onion poisoning show gastroenteritis with vomiting and diarrhoea. They will show no interest in food and will be dull and weak. The red pigment from the burst blood cells appears in an affected animal’s urine and it becomes breathless. The breathlessness occurs because the red blood cells that carry oxygen through the body are reduced in number.

The poisoning occurs a few days after the pet has eaten the onion. All forms of onion can be a problem including dehydrated onions, raw onions, cooked onions and table scraps containing cooked onions and/or garlic. Left over pizza, Chinese dishes and commercial baby food containing onion, sometimes fed as a supplement to young pets, can cause illness.

Onion poisoning can occur with a single ingestion of large quantities or with repeated meals containing small amounts of onion. A single meal of 600 to 800 grams of raw onion can be dangerous whereas a ten-kilogram dog, fed 150 grams of onion for several days, is also likely to develop anaemia. The condition improves once the dog is prevented from eating any further onion

While garlic also contains the toxic ingredient thiosulphate, it seems that garlic is less toxic and large amounts would need to be eaten to cause illness.

Massive doses of garlic need to be eating in one lot to be poisonous. Small amounts on a daily basis (ie: 1/4 or less mixed with dinner) isn't dangerous.

O-Ren.. change to Advatage or Advocate and get an exterminator in as there is likely to be a nest in your yard/under your house by now. Frontline is useless.

Without treating your yard and house properly you'll still end up with flea problems. There are a few companies around now who use a product that dries quickly and is biodegradable... dogs still need to be gone for 4-5 hrs though.

Massive doses of garlic need to be eating in one lot to be poisonous. Small amounts on a daily basis (ie: 1/4 or less mixed with dinner) isn't dangerous.

O-Ren.. change to Advatage or Advocate and get an exterminator in as there is likely to be a nest in your yard/under your house by now. Frontline is useless.

Without treating your yard and house properly you'll still end up with flea problems. There are a few companies around now who use a product that dries quickly and is biodegradable... dogs still need to be gone for 4-5 hrs though.

My son who is a vet always maintains that whatever you use for fleas on the animal etc., you have to spray the whole house with a product called Acclaim, not here in Oz but I think that has now been superceded with a similar spray with lasts one year (for the house). I use Revolution on all my dogs, cats and spray, they have the run of the house and we have never had a flea that I have seen anyway. Does this help.

Hanna

Agree about Frountline, massive waste of money last week for all my dogs. Thats even after bathing them in flea shampoo and using the watering can around the yard with Nucodol (malawash whatever it wants to be called now)

My dogs also get garlic everyday.

Guess what.

Yep got fleas again ;)

i didnt vote

i do feed garlic crushed up in their veggie patties, along with ACV and kelp and everything else i like to give them - they also get advantix every month

i never seen a flea in Mavs life and were in a 'high flea' area. :laugh:

so i would say it was solely the garlic but it might help!

I feed my dogs on Raw Feeding with garlic every second or third day. No can food or dry food whatsoever. Sometimes I may forget a week or two. Have been doing this for about two years and not one single flea problem ever.

I dont use any sort of chemicals on my dogs to repell fleas either on dog or environmental. I use a plain $2.00 dog wash on three of my dogs and Quit-Itch shampoo for my two itchy dogs which is now under control.

Neighbours all around have fleas on their dogs and cats.

Lucky, I guess. Garlic probably was the cure.

thnx for that

i may have to look into the exterminator... we have replaced all beds with flea-free types the meshy flyscreen types and burnt all the old blankets etc

flea bombed everywhere and with the extra rain---- have had a bit of an improvement...

will try advantix... unfortunatly i bought another 6doses of frontline before i posted this... which by the way im still waiting for from pricelesspets :) have to chase that up with aust post i guess

thnx for the advice... living rurally is a poo sometimes