What's Wrong With My Darling Girl? :(

Kirislin

Feather is a 12 year old whippet. Not overweight, has always been a healthy girl but is showing signs of ageing.

We all went to the park this morning and I was watching her because for several years now, on and off, she seems to feel the heat and sometimes gets the wobbles in the sun, even sometimes when it's not actually hot. I've spoken to the vet about it and they were vague.

Anyway, I did notice her trying to find shade today so I didn't walk as far as I'd have liked and on the way back to the car I found a tap and ran water over her chest and under side to cool her. She was able to jump into the car by herself and I assumed she was OK.

We got back home and of course I was then glued to the computer but about 3/4 of an hour after our walk I heard someone crashing through the dog door. I looked to see who it was and to my surprise Feather came staggering in bumping into things. She was very "with it" I could see she was thinking why cant I walk straight. I watched her for about 30 seconds and decided to call the vet. We went straight down, when Feather realised we were going in the car she was happy and excited and walked out to the car, even though she was falling all over the place. I lifted her into the back where she usually travels and thought she'd be OK but by the time I got to the vets 5 minutes later she was much worse.

I carried her in and I could tell she didn't know which way was up. The vet couldn't see her immediately so the nurse took her temp, normal, checked her colour, good, and heart rate which was not surprisingly, fast.

Then the vet came in and looked at her eyes and said she's got that thing where the eyes flick up and down, cant remember the name. While he was examining her she had a fit! :cry: She has never had one before. It was mild apparently. Anyway, he's taken bloods to try to rule out things but he's said it might not tell us what it was.

Since she's been home she's much improved, still a bit wobbly but not very severe but definitely not back to normal. She has been outside to the toilet, and ate her dinner with her usual dainty enthusiasm. She's been sleeping most of the time and seems relaxed now.

Any ideas people?

:(

Nystagmus ? the eye movement ?

Vestibular disease, possibly - or a stroke ?

Did the vet mention Vestibular disease? It might pay to phone/visit & ask him .

there have been a few posts on here with DOL dogs who have had it - the symptoms fit .

:hug::hug:

Yep, he did mention it, and stroke although he thought that was unlikely. I just couldn't remember the name. She's already much improved though, I thought it lasts for a while. I am going to crate her tonight, I cant let her sleep on my bed for fear of her jumping off during the night and hurting herself.

Edited by Kirislin

I would of guessed vestibular too. I hope it is that as they generally improve fairly quick as far as I'm aware. The other thing would be to look at the potassium levels, my then 17 year old cat went like this all of a sudden and within a few days of potassium tablets she was ok (not sure if this happens to dogs though).

Wishing you both all the best.

:grouphug: I'm so sorry Kirsilin.

Yes, heat can relate to seizures. I'm not sure if that's in the text books but we've noticed it in a few seniors.

My dearest little girl ChiChi absolutely cannot overheat. She can't have direct sun especially face-on, and care has to be taken to keep her cool in summer especially at night when she is sound asleep and doesn't realise she is too hot. I can see a definite pattern in her r.e. heat exacerbating her epilepsy or even causing twitching that can last for hours. They can have a bad day after a fit as well, just kind of off. :(

Anyway it may not be what you're dealing with here and I hope your pretty lady recovers well no matter what.

xx

Sounds like vestibular

Yep, as I read more it's sounding like that. I hope so, I'd rather that than epilepsy. She's already improving although has been sleeping most of the time since she came home, and I dont want to disturb her, just to see how she's moving.

Thankyou both for offering up suggestions.

Our old kelpie cross had vestibular disease. I came up from the backyard to find her staggering like a drunk around our deck. Her eyes were flickering like crazy, and after a little while, she threw up and then dropped to the ground and started basically paddling on her side like she was trying to run. I thought she was having a seizure, and it was the single most terrifying moment I've had relating to dogs.

Sadly she had had problems with her hind legs and back prior to this, and even though her balance improved and her general outlook on life, she lost most of the use of her back end and ended up being put to sleep.

I wasn't sure if what she was having a seizure when she was on her side or not, or was related to her balance, but it wasn't any sort of normal behaviour I've seen before.

No one on here can possibly make a diagnosis & it can be a bit like googling a symptom.

By the time you have finished you are scared stiff that you are going to drop dead when all you typed in search was headaches or something :eek:

You did the right thing getting her to the vet asap & you need to be guided by them unless you have no faith in them & then you would need a second opinion.

It must have been so frightening for you & Feather. Hopefully it was just a one off thing :crossfingers: so hard as it is try & relax tonight :hug:

Did she actually have a fit? As none of the dogs I have had with vestibular fitted. They were just off balance and very unsteady with the head tilt etc

the vet thinks she had a fit, and it looked like it to me but I'm not absolutely certain. I'd been holding her the whole time I was in the vets, she couldn't stand at all and was leaning against me. Then she suddenly started thrashing and her head started waving around. I couldn't see her face or eyes, I dont know what she was doing, I was too busy just trying to hold on to her. Whatever it was, she settled after about 10 seconds and from then on slowly improved. She seems almost back to normal now. She is a bit wobbly in the back end, but I've noticed that coming on for a few months so I'm assuming that is an age deterioration.

Oh, Kirislin, how very distressing for you and Feather. Hopefully you can find some answers and be able to treat this. Seeing our loved ones suffer the ravages of age is just very confronting and so worrying.

Feather's total episode is very different from the experience I've had with any of mine, but parts of it sound similar. Two of them take fits from time to time (Danny and Banter) during which they are totally conscious, don't drool, just become totally wobbly,shake a lot, can't stand up and aware that something is happening like Feather was. I just hold them very tightly until it is over. They rarely last long.

I'm happy to report that Feather seems fully recovered!!!! I think it must have been vestibular syndrome and I'm actually having my doubts that she did have a fit now. I'm wondering if it was just that she got really really dizzy and started thrashing around because she didn't know which way was up and was trying to right herself. I'm so glad it's over. I wish I could ring the vets and say dont do the blood test and save myself an extra $100 or so but it's too late.

Thankyou all for your good wishes and advice.

Edited by Kirislin