Puppy Sleeping Too Much?

tommyspazz

Hi all

Just have a quick question concerning my 14 week old German Shepherd puppy. He seems to be sleeping alot, even compared to say a couple of weeks ago.

I do understand that he is young and will sleep a bit, but i'm a lil concerned that it seems to be more now than when i first brought him home.

For example, yesterday we got up @ 6am went out for toilet's had breakfast then he was asleep until 9:45, we went to puppy class got home at 11:15, and apart from a 10 min play and a couple of drink and toilet breaks he slept for the rest of the day until 9:30 when we put him in his crate for bed.

Just wanting to hear opinions and if anyone knows any reasons or soultions if this is not normal for my pup.

Thanks for your help!

All Zoe did was sleep,eat, play, sleep eat play..... at 14wks it seems totally normal, enjoy the rest while you can!!!

Rajko needs all the sleep he can get, thats when their little bodies grow and he has some growing to do!!!

It seems very normal to me.. If it worries you to the point of concern get him checked by the vet but Im sure its nothing to worry about.

I would not worry if it was my puppy - I would rejoice that it was my puppy!

Puppy school is both mentally and physically exhausting for them - Louie used to sleep for a lot after it. At 14 weeks old I found Louie had a decent grow, I am not familiar with your breed but perhaps the pup is sleeping in preparation for a grow.

Hi all

Just have a quick question concerning my 14 week old German Shepherd puppy. He seems to be sleeping alot, even compared to say a couple of weeks ago.

I do understand that he is young and will sleep a bit, but i'm a lil concerned that it seems to be more now than when i first brought him home.

For example, yesterday we got up @ 6am went out for toilet's had breakfast then he was asleep until 9:45, we went to puppy class got home at 11:15, and apart from a 10 min play and a couple of drink and toilet breaks he slept for the rest of the day until 9:30 when we put him in his crate for bed.

Just wanting to hear opinions and if anyone knows any reasons or soultions if this is not normal for my pup.

Thanks for your help!

Sleeping from 11.15am to 9.30 pm is not normal IMO. I would have this puppy vet checked. Unless the puppy perhaps is up all night playing? Yes, pups do sleep alot but to me that seems excessive. Is the pup quick to wake up and eager to do something if you wake him, or dopey?

:D yes I think I would be rejoicing if my pup slept half as much (argh little terror won't settle for more than about 20 minutes at a time). Nah seriously I don't think that sounds overly normal either. However I would be more concerned if the pattern occured over a few days then just a one or two days. Sometimes they have a quieter day because they growing/recovering from the previous day etc. Haing said that my BC girl was 14 weeks last Friday and she doesn't seem to sleep very much at all.

Puppies sleep more when they are growing, Mistral would sleep a lot some days and then hardly anything another, I have to admit the sleeping was much more helpful, when he was up he was and still is getting into everything.

If the pup is really sluggish when awake I would take him to the vet, otherwise, if hes happy and bouncy, eating and drinking well just sounds like normal pup behaviour.

And JSK, your little one will be doing a huge amount of sleeping, its still very young, dont worry, it will be up soon and you will be wishing for those long hours of sleep. :D

JSK1- it is normal (and desirable for a baby puppy to sleep long hours!! ) Don't worry.

tommyspazz- those long stretches of sleep are not something I've seen in a pup that age- is the pup then active from 9.30 pm?

if it's not active during the night- as mentioned, a vet check may well be in order -just to be asafe

He's not active after 9:30 at all, he sleeps all night in his crate until about 6am.

He will play but not as activley as he would.

We have puppy preschool tonight, i think ill ask the vet what she thinks then.

Thanks for your help!

I think i would go with a vet trip as well, better to be safe then sorry. My rottweiler x german shep slept alot when he was young but never for stretches as long as those. Has he had a recent vaccination or anything that could be making him feel unwell?

I spoke to the vet last night and she seems to think that aslong as he is perking up for Puppy school etc and not vomiting or off his food he should be fine.

So ill keep an eye on him and see how he goes over the next few days!

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

im actually experiencing this also.. she didnt have much to eat this morning and has been sleeping all through the morning and afternoon and when ive gone to rouse her shes too dopey and falls back asleep, now im worried that i couldnt feed her lunch.. is it bad for a pup to miss a meal or 2?? *paranoid*

She is 8wo? Drowsy? Or does she go adn play then go to sleep?

If she is really drowsy then i would be taking her to the vet.

Has she had a vaccination in the lasdt couple of days? If so it could be a reaction to it.

It is ok for her to miss a meal, just feed her dinner earlier and give her dinner to her at supper time.

Yeah, shes 8 weeks old

I just tried to feed her and she only had a little, she also had a little bit of diarrhea... she seems to be ok but just really tired at the mo. we had a bit of a play before but her energy level wasnt as high as usual. might just keep an eye on her and see what shes like 2moro. ive made sure she had water to drink so she wouldnt get dehydrated. she ate very well yesterday and was very lively! hope my baby will be ok!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, my baby husky at 8 weeks would play with me for 5 mins then sleep for an hour or so wake up toilet, then play and sleep again. Was very funny to watch. All that exercising and play really gets to tired. Even now she's 9 months and when I come back from training for 2 hours we'll go for a long walk around another hour, play a bit more tug of war usually gets her so hungry and thirsty. Then another 30 min walk in the evenings and play chaseys around the house where we run around through several rooms and hallways in circles until she's oh sorry let me correct that when I'am completely and utterly worn out. She could sleep up till her bedtime which is 10-11pm and wake up 6am then back to sleep till 11am.

More or likely your puppy will get up for a game or two with you even if she looks like a sleepy head. :)