Obedience Challenge

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I'd give this a shot with my guys!! Sounded like an interesting exercise!!

Jedi - 7 months old, Keeshond. Clicker trained with toy and food rewards. Working on drive training now.

Ahsoka - 15 weeks old, Finnish Lapphund. Clicker trained with food and toy rewards.

Jedi = 16 seconds

Ahsoka = 7 seconds (not bad for a baby puppy!!)

Very interesting.

Rottweiler - 18 months old - 35 seconds (have been working alot on focus lately). Has been clicker trained, food rewards. Formal obedience.

Kelpie - 4 years - 43 seconds. Trained sheepdog and has done a bit of formal obedience with toy reward.

Kelpie - 2 years - 0.5 seconds. Trained for sheepwork only, no obedience.

Tried again with reward.

Rotty - 20 seconds, then started offering different behaviours because she wasnt getting the food.

Kelpie - 60 seconds then I stopped. He got into a trance with his paw off the ground. He would have looked at me forever to get the toy.

Kelpie - split second glance.

Edited by jesomil

40 secs with food on me! So the same. If it helps your research Ptolomy I would say that even though I train with food that my girl is more pack driven then anything else.

If I spoke to her and asked her to watch then she would just go on and on watching.

Edited by JulesP

Flame - 4 year old dobermann with show training. Done a bit of clicker training, a bit of drive training, no formal obedience. Flame has been taught the 'watch' command, but not for an extended period of time. She really has no idea how to heel or what the start of an excercise is.

Rumour - 5 month old dobermann. No training at all except a little bit for the ring - ie she knows how to gait on a lead and how to stand. She does not know much at all (I am very slack!).

Flame - 27 seconds without food. At that point she walked to the front of me, barked, then dropped, then sat again, all still looking at me, trying to work out what I wanted!

Rumour - 2 seconds without food. 6 seconds with food before she decided that spinning sounded fun! Rumour has the attention span of a gnat! :)

EFS

Edited by jbbb

I don't normally get my dogs to sit at heel so I put Jarrah in a stand in front which is our start position, I gave up at 60 seconds without food. I think most people who have seen him dancing can verify that he has pretty good focus.

He is a kelpiexBC, 2years 10 months, clicker trained with both food & toys, did a very short stint of obedience training when we first got him mainly for his stays & recall, did herding all of last year & this year since March we have concentrated on our dancing .

As for with a food or toy - I don't have enough time left in my life to wait for him to break focus :confused: .

Havent tried the other dogs but I can tell you Whisper would be pretty good (between 30 seconds & 1 min) & Jonty would be lucky to get to 3 seconds - with or without food ;) .

ETA - at our last competition at the Royal in August we had to wait with him standing in front of me for over 40 seconds because they were having trouble with our music. Even with the huge crowd, people, kids, other dogs, strange smells & noise he never took his eyes off me the whole time :confused: .

Edited by MrsD

I just want to put this video up as its related to focus. Here is my 7 month old little BC girl doing some circle heelwork for a friend this afternoon. Her focus is outstanding and she is such a joy to work. She will give the same level of focus whether you have food, a toy or nothing. She has been totally positively trained since she arrived at 9 weeks and as a consequence loves her work.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdox8RcebfQ

ETA. I don't usually reward as frequently as my friend was today but still she has such lovely work I had to show it off.

Edited by ness

I don't own a stop watch but I've been training for this (among other stuff) and I'm fairly confident that she'd give me a good long minute or more but would only break eye contact for a moment before looking at me again!

We tried this, this morning with my girl not with eye contact because I don't do that but for attention.

Without her cue word 33 seconds, but I thought that was a bit unfair really as I always use a cue word.

So with her cue word 62, then I released her as she was starting to tremble with anticipation, poor girl.

She's a 4 year old collie and we do trial but only at CCD level.

Thanks to everybody for giving this a go - maybe I need to post a few more obedience challenges fo us all to have a go at :coffee:

My theory was that a clicker/food trained dog wouldn't do as well with this exercise because they are encouraged to offer behaviours and to have to sit still and pay attention without a cue word would be really hard for them.

Looking at the results the dogs who had the longest attention seem to be clicker/food rewarded - which blows my theory out of the water

So my new theory is that........ Tollers don't do well sitting paying attention without food or a cue word :hug:

I food/clicker train but I don't do much (any) shaping Ptolomy. Am too impatient for that!!! Perhaps you need to ask people if they do shaping?

Focus is the first thing I teach though. And border collies like to stare! :rofl: During a 3 min stay Poppy's eyes don't leave me unless I look away first.

She does also look at me if I am not looking at her (for DD).

Yep good challenge Ptolomy! I was narky because dog school wasn't on because of the Melb Cup and this entertained me!