Rally Obedience

I may have an opportunity to visit and wondering if there would be anyone out there that might be interested in attending a Rally Obedience seminar (probably a full day but nothing has been planned yet) or a series of smaller classes to introduce this sport to the obedience folks.

I'm trying to see if there would be any interest, what areas that groups would be able to gather and if it would be something that folks might want to allow me to instruct?

Just looking for a bit of feedback on this to see if it's worth pursuing. Looking primarily at ACT and surrounding areas, but could be willing to venture further if there was sufficient interest in something like this.

Edited by angelsun

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Everything is loose planned at this point as you can imagine but am really trying to get something done here. I have an airline credit burning a hole in my pocket, that will get me there for the most part....am hoping that I can mooch accomodations off a few once plans are set down, but not really worried about that either to be honest.

Yes Victoria would be one area I could be around, again, depends on how things all come together.

Time line for this would be late march to early June sometime....depends on things here and a litter of pups that hasn't been conceived yet (if that makes sense)

Just so people know...I'm currently going for my judging license and have put dogs through to the top levels of this sport, as well as having taught it before it was recognized by CKC or AKC, so been doing this a while and feel quite qualified.

I also beleive in a very fun, positive way of teaching...some call me hyper when I teach...hehe..I like teaching!!

Everything is loose planned at this point as you can imagine but am really trying to get something done here. I have an airline credit burning a hole in my pocket, that will get me there for the most part....am hoping that I can mooch accomodations off a few once plans are set down, but not really worried about that either to be honest.

Yes Victoria would be one area I could be around, again, depends on how things all come together.

Time line for this would be late march to early June sometime....depends on things here and a litter of pups that hasn't been conceived yet (if that makes sense)

Just so people know...I'm currently going for my judging license and have put dogs through to the top levels of this sport, as well as having taught it before it was recognized by CKC or AKC, so been doing this a while and feel quite qualified.

I also beleive in a very fun, positive way of teaching...some call me hyper when I teach...hehe..I like teaching!!

Oh sounds like fun, i could quite easily get back into obedience if it were rally o

what about a trip to QLD visit the sunny state... i'm sure i could round up quite a few participants...

Rally Obedience uses a series of signs for exercises for each trial. There are three levels of competition, requiring passing scores of three legs to aquire a title.

The course is laid out and the handlers walk the course much like agility. The dogs do not have any access to the course until they actually are required to do it, same as agility.

You are timed, however it only comes into play when a tie score is acheived as each station/sign is marked on how it is completed.

Rally is designed to bridge gaps in traditional obedience, give both dogs and handlers ring time in a more positive experience as you can praise, talk and encourage your dog throughout each trial.

Rally encourages tight heeling patterns, and most of all, making the dog think as opposed to pattern trained dogs that simply go through the routine of obedience in a set way.

Fifty stations make up the set of exercises with only proportionatly difficult ones being used in the higher levels, which after novice, are off lead.

There are no sits/down stays in Rally, and only the 'honour' exercise which happens in Excellant level, however it is on lead with the handler in the ring with the dog.

Glad to see some possible interest with this....I have a friend in QLD that would shoot me if I didn't go visit, so yes, I would strongly suspect that I will be making a trip there.

Angelsun why don't you just plan a trip to every state capital :p . I am sure the club I am training at next year would be very interested :hug: .

Sorry forgot I am in Adelaide - the home of lots of good wines :rofl: .

Edited by ness

I'd be very interested in you coming to Victoria, Geelong preferably, but, then again I would make the trip to Sydney.

I love Rally-O, it is a great way for handlers to be able to think about what they have to do for the upcoming sign. They aren't rushed like they are if someone is yelling out instructions.

The handlers can get into a rythm therefore making it easier for the dog to understand what is required of them. this makes the handlers happy as the dog is successful. That is before they are capable of doing a timed Rally-O. Slow and steady is the way?

Great for handler's who are new to obedience training. Once they understand the sit, drop, stand, turns, come etc there is No walking up and down in lines, handler does their own thing with an Instructor there to help if they are getting themselves into the wrong position etc.

As Helen said, our club has been holding Rally-O classes on and off for a number of years. One is starting in the New Year.

The first few weeks will be getting to know what Rally-O is, then the fun can begin.

I'm looking forward to the class.

So Please think about coming to us Down Under

Wendy

and members of the Block 1 Rally-O Class of 2009

Is this something that is already established in Australia or is it a new thing trying to get off the ground?

I have a dog losing his sight who will be blind in the next couple of years and I'm looking for something we can do together. I noticed it was said that you can talk to your dog around the course so am wondering if this would suit a blind dog?