2009 Brags Thread

Well, I have had an awesome weekend :rofl:

I have just spent 3 days running one of Lablover's wonderful dogs, Yo, in the Easter retrieving trials in Benalla. 4 of us stayed in Violet Town (7 dogs between us!) and one or two drinks were enjoyed in the evening :laugh:

It was a HUGE learning curve for me.....I ran Yo for only the second occasion in Novice and for the first time in Restricted and we were literally running between stakes all day, every day. I did curse LL on occasion for entering us in both stakes ;) but it turned out to be a whole heap of fun and I wouldn't have had it any other way :mad

Friday was fairly testing as we had only trained together for 2 days since I ran him for the first time in May last year. We successfully got through all 3 runs in both stakes and I had a lot to think about for the next day.

On Saturday, Yo did some lovely work and I was so, so pleased with him - funnily enough the biggest buzz I got all day was a really tough bit of handling....having to call him off a blind that he was nearly on top off :happydance: to pick up the other blind first. By the time he'd successfully picked up both (AND in the correct order!!!) and we returned to the starting peg, I was shaking like a leaf :) Everyone watching clearly had their collective hearts in their mouths too, judging by the cheer that went up :happydance: Again we got through all 3 runs in both Novice and Restricted. Unfortunately, my lack of knowledge of all the nuances etc meant my handling lost us heaps of points so, again, I had a lot to think about and process.

Today, Yo did 3 really lovely Novice runs, had moments of brilliance in Restricted but was let down once again by my handling. Having left immediately after the trial finished, I had a call when I got home to say that Yo picked up 3rd in Novice today :rofl: I have been so lucky to be able to run such a lovely dog......just have to put some more time into training ME :)

It sounds like you had a terrific weekend. Well done :D

Can I ask did a tri coloured toller come 2nd in novice yesterday and today????? and did you get to meet Donna with Lochie?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure of the results in Novice today - only got a phone message! I think a toller might have won Novice on one of the days??? Sorry - not 100% sure.

Meet Donna? I was staying in the same house :rofl: She did very well today (will let her tell you!) and handled Lochie well yesterday when he was being a complete bugger :mad She also shot for me for most of my restricted runs....I need to get a gun license!

Damn sport is SO addictive!!!!

Way to go TSD! Great news! :rofl:

I have gotten a recent interest in retrieving and can't wait to learn more and watch a real trial! When did you first get involved?

I can't believe how much fun it is - bloody hard work training and trialling but certainly worth it! Here's how I got started :D

Oh wow that is awesome!! Soooo SO jealous! I would LOVE the opportunity to be shown the ropes one on one by someone in the know and have a shot with a dog that knows what it's doing :mad I didn't think you had another dog besides Zig to do retrieving with, and now it makes sense :laugh:

I notice you dodged my statement TSD, I'll take that as "already resigned to the Labrador camp". :rofl: :D

:laugh: Consider it dodged!

Yep, RS - it has been a VERY steep learning curve but LL is a great trainer....toughest thing is to get that sense of team work happening with a dog that you see twice a year :mad

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Today, Yo did 3 really lovely Novice runs, had moments of brilliance in Restricted but was let down once again by my handling. Having left immediately after the trial finished, I had a call when I got home to say that Yo picked up 3rd in Novice today :mad I have been so lucky to be able to run such a lovely dog......just have to put some more time into training ME :rofl:

Wow!! Congratulations :rofl: :D :laugh: That is fantastic Spotted Devil. I've never made it to Benalla trials, but they would have to be some of the (if not the) most competitive Novice and Restricted stakes. I heard my friend placed 4th today and yesterday in Novice with he Goldie (not sure about Friday). And to get though restricted with so little training! Good on you. Having finally achieved an RRD on my Vizsla just a couple of weekends ago, going into his 4th season in the class, I know how much work can go into it ;)

While we're on the subject of retrieving, can anybody please advise any good dvds/videos that will demonstrate the basics? I'd like to learn the basics with Ruby, with the aim to eventually get my 3rd Lab to train in retrieving from a pup once I've been able to learn a bit. Quite a few years off yet :mad

OK a bit of a brag here from last weekend at our "local" trial in Launceston.

Firstly my girl Seven passed both open trials with scores of 189 and 196!!!!!!

Then our homebred girl Tasha passed two legs of her Ccd 90 and 98 to give her Ccd & our very first homebred title :(

I think what made that quite an effort on Tash's part, is that she came in season three days latter :hug:

On to novice & luckliy our next trial is not until 5 weeks time :hug:

Thanks for letting me brag :eat:

:rofl: Way to go biker girl. Now that's what I call a big day out. :hug: FLovely scores for Seven - and first homebred title is very exciting.

Thanks Tassie :cry:

Are you competing this w/end at New Norfolk for the very first back to back double trials in Tassie?

I am hoping to get down for the next back to back latter in the year :rofl:

While we were off in Mount Gambier showing our Aussie's Kiz went to Melbourne to compete in the ADCV trial and was handled by a very paitent friend!

She unfortunately didn't pass her AM jumpers as she had a bar down but did the the course in half the SCT! They had better luck in the afternoon with a pass :happydance2:

. I did curse LL on occasion for entering us in both stakes :cooldance: but it turned out to be a whole heap of fun and I wouldn't have had it any other way :happydance2:

The Spotted Devil,

You performed great with Yo.

As SD noted the main problem with retrieiving trials, in restricted and All age, is the ability to work with the dog as a team, because distance is a factor and the various test requirements.

I did not have time to observe SD but from all reports she is a natural. Calm, focused, smart and controlled.

I have to mention, SD travelled from Melbourne to the border of NSW/Victoria to the Murray River to train for 2 days before the trial. Great effort and dedication.

Thanks again SD. The dogs had fun and so did we. Mission accomplished.

Not sure if this thread is just for trial wins so sorry if my brag is in the wrong spot.. ;)

I have started doing some shaping with Cosmo after slacking off (due to being busy) with her training/ teaching new things for some time. So far we have done a few things-

sitting on a tea towel

dropping on a tea towel

bowing after climbing onto a small plastic box with rounded edges (this one was hard because she had to think so much about where she was putting her feet)

climbing onto the dining chair (she struggled with this one despite doing this on command many times before)

targetting many different things with her nose

pushing the mop off a step

and our latest- opening the cupboard door by grabbing a tied towel. This is a huge achievement because she found it so tough- despite the fact that we play tug and other games regularly.

I have noticed that shaping seems to have had some unexpected side effects- Cosmo is cuddlier than before and seeks attention more often (in a good way- she has always been independent and can be indifferent to us at times) she seems more confident with sudden noises and movements, She is much more willing to offer behaviours- regardless of what we're doing, she is not as lazy but is still settled and switches on and off well. I feel as though our bond is a bit stronger and we are having more fun together.

I feel bad because i have not made the time before (and she's such an easy dog, she's never demanded it) but really pleased i have done so now. Just have to think of more things to teach her!

Calling Pippi - I know you have brags from this weekend :thumbsup::provoke:
While we were off in Mount Gambier showing our Aussie's Kiz went to Melbourne to compete in the ADCV trial and was handled by a very paitent friend!

She unfortunately didn't pass her AM jumpers as she had a bar down but did the the course in half the SCT! They had better luck in the afternoon with a pass :laugh:

OK then, if you insist. Pippi and I did manage 2 excellent jumping passes and both 1st places over the weekend at the ADCV agility trial. Must say its "been a long time between drinks" and I was beginning to get a little disheartened. Now I am all unthusiastic again and ready to keep training (especially those cursed contacts).

Silvawillow, I did see a few of Kirra's runs - I always love watching her run. Poor Scotty was exhausted while Kirra was still rearing to go again - what a friend, I heard someone suggest to him that he should take her for an hours run before her agility run and maybe she would calm down. Somehow I doubt that. :nahnah: :laugh::scold:

My little brag ...

On Saturday, my girl Ember, got her TD6 - track with a grade of Very Good. So she now has her TDX title. She did a lovely tracks and some corners were just fantastic.

On sunday, my two pups, Keira and Gemma did their first ever tracking competition and passed their TD1 - Keira getting a Good and Gemma getting a Very Good. I was truly amazed at this result as I didn't have too much confidence in them as it was their first time on a cattle property so I thought cows and those lovely droppings would entice them too much. But needless to say, they are great and I should trust them more!