Sardines Every Other Day?

Guest Willow

Guest Willow

Time for me to sound like a thicky again!!! :laugh:

I know that some fish are not supposed to be consumed too frequently due to them containing high levels of heavy metals from polluted waters, but I don't know if sardines are one of those fish....

Does every other day sound allright??? I split one of those standard size tins between two dogs as "something nice" on their regular dinner.

Guest Willow
i just like stalking Willow :o

wanna come see my etchings Crysti??? :wink:

My dogs get sardines every night.
My dogs have sardines in the morning and sometimes again at night!! They wouldn't have it any other way ..

Cool, thanks......I won't show my dogs this post, otherwise they will start demanding them every night too!!! :laugh:

Perhaps this is a really dumb question but do you remove the bones before you give sardines to your dogs?

I don't think it's necessary to remove any of the bones. They just mash up and are really soft. I half a tin to my dog about twice a week, mixed in with her kibble and she loves them.

All mine get them one a week (dogs and cats, and dogs get whatever the cats dont eat)

they love them, i usually buy a HEAP of cans every few months, checkout chics must think i have a problem :thumbsup:

i usually buy a HEAP of cans every few months, checkout chics must think i have a problem :thumbsup:

I know what you mean, they give me a strange look when i come in loaded with tins of sardines..

Had a lady at one of those beauty stands (the ones that sell mineral mud etc) nearly fall over when i said i use the mud packs on my dogs! :rolleyes:

Perhaps this is a really dumb question but do you remove the bones before you give sardines to your dogs?

Nope - no need!

My guys get sardines all the time - they would probably love them more regularly though!!! haha We feed fresh ones from the fish shop - they're just as cheap (if not cheaper!) and the dogs seem to enjoy them much more (Jedi loves eating the head and guts... ewwww!)

Edited by TerraNik

i feed "sardines" all the time but if you research these tinned "sardines" you will find they are not sardines but other fish, forget what it is usually is but sardine is what there called becasue of how there packed and sold in tins.

"sardines" also have the highet omega 3, far more then tuna and even fresh fish in some cases.

I think to have any ill effects from mercury in fish that you have to actually eat a huge amount of the species that can have levels of mercury in them. Something like breakfast, lunch and tea every day for yonks. I'm not convinced that sardines even have any levels of mercury in them either. :)