• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

bout time this got bumped up

I've been using this lens alot more since my 50mm is off at the hospital

My gorgeous Puck trying to entice Tag to come and play with him and his Christmas reindeer. Who could resist that lovely face.

4462184564_b466602aab.jpg

How sharp is that last whippy photo! Great shots. Just a question...how does one decide what lens to use. say for a portrait....is it decidedly on dof required...say you had a lens like kirslins lil groover or a 50mm for example.

How sharp is that last whippy photo! Great shots. Just a question...how does one decide what lens to use. say for a portrait....is it decidedly on dof required...say you had a lens like kirslins lil groover or a 50mm for example.
I was going to ask the same thing. Its so daunting when trying to learn and take it all in

I was going to buy the Sigma 50mm macro which could double as a portrait lens/every day lens. You can buy it from BH Photo in New York for under USD300. When I get financial, that's my next purchase. I know you have to get right up close to bugs with it though, that's my only concern. I have two other sigma lenses, the 17-70 and the 10-20, which I haven't used much, but will in the next few weeks.

eta: I sometimes go to this place for reviews of lenses/cameras

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

eta: The Sigma 10-20 is fantastic for landscapes, but you can also get some interesting photos of animals with it, but you have to get up close.

This is a wild cockatoo who landed on our balcony. I bribed him over with some seed. When he heard the click of the shutter, he put his crest up. The lens can give you some amusing angles of animals.

4463799404_7f351a4f61_m.jpg

Edited by Ripley

a 50mm would give you a wider field of view so you could fit more in, you could use it indoors for portraits. The 100mm requires you to be further away, but I've noticed it seems much sharper than my 70-200 for running shots. I took some of the whippies running the other day and they were really sharp. I might even take it along to our upcoming fun day and try it then.

• 4 months later...

anyone know what this flower is called. I bought it a couple of years ago and it was supposed to be black. This is the first time it's flowered and I wouldn't call it black but I love it anyway. I think it's amazing and gorgeous. :laugh: and even a bit sexy,

4931001229_eba2eb3647.jpg

especially when it's rotated like this

4931034399_c6a6f0f100.jpg

Edited by Kirislin