I Have A Confession To Make.

Kirislin

I still cant get my pics to look as sharp as yours. I've sharpened them in the camera and I shot these in raw but they still dont have that crisp clear look that yours have. I wonder if it's cause I've only got the 400D or is it still my lack of skill.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez how dumb am I, I was posting inthe b & W thread and seen your first pic the fuzzy thing, and I didnt look at the name and thought it was Iltbys photo....LOL then I looked at the name and thought to myself, what a great close up and then thought it was unusual as I hadnt seen any close ups of yours to date....LOL Should have realized you might have had a new lense, how awesome, You have a canon right?? I would love a macro lense but wouldnt have a clue about what to get, I think I have said before my 18 - 250 says it is Macro but I dont understand how it can be a long zoom and be macro at the same time??

Anyway Looks like you have got yourself a good deal and the photos are fantastic, looking forward to seeing more!!

Thanks for the tips!

It's good as KJA said as a portrait lens too, and I took those ball skills pics of Tag and Puck playing soccer last week with it, I was just too shy to fess up then, and they weren't quite in focus.

I took this with it today too. Handsome boy we met today. I've emailed his owner the pics, I think he'll be rapt.

3503914210_6ae176079c_b.jpg

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

How bloody cute!!!!!!!!!

I still cant get my pics to look as sharp as yours. I've sharpened them in the camera and I shot these in raw but they still dont have that crisp clear look that yours have. I wonder if it's cause I've only got the 400D or is it still my lack of skill.

What sort of shutter speeds are you getting?

Yeah, it's a really fabulous portrait lens - I love how versatile it is. I took my absolute favourite shot of Chelsea with it-

3191312758_3ddb24365d.jpg

Gorgeous shot of that pup - what is he?

Its discrimination to take photos of someones sister and not of their brother I reckons :thumbsup:

What sort of shutter speeds are you getting?

Hmm, maybe that's why, the one of Penny was 1/160 and Tag was only 1/100 but I dont know that it's camera shake, they just dont look super sharp to me.

TLC, yes, I have a Canon. I bought the 100mm 2.8 because it's an EF which means if, in time I go to a full frame camera it will still fit. The 60mm is an EF-S which means it cant be used on a full frame. Plus I've just seen and heard good things about the 100mm and I have been watching for a while for a good priced one.

Have you tried the macro on your 18-250? I have an el cheapo 18-55 kit lens that says it has macro too. I took this with it.

IMG_2621tcs.jpg

thanks for the kind comments everyone too. I think I will have alot of fun with this lens.

Edited by Kirislin

fantastic :wave:

though I'm insanely jealous!

I got a new lens last month, but it was a crappy stupid impulse buy that has wasted all my camera money and has produced dodgy results despite my efforts :( ... but I may just start a sigma 10-20mm wide-angle lens thread just to brag away by myself ... might inspire me to keep trying :rofl:

fantastic :wave:

though I'm insanely jealous!

I got a new lens last month, but it was a crappy stupid impulse buy that has wasted all my camera money and has produced dodgy results despite my efforts :( ... but I may just start a sigma 10-20mm wide-angle lens thread just to brag away by myself ... might inspire me to keep trying :rofl:

What lens did you buy? do you mean the sigma 10-20mm. Yes start a thread and show us, I've noticed you go for different angles and I'm often intrigued by your photos and thought you must have a wide angle lens. It's hard for me to get down low too often because of my physical restrictions, although sometimes I still try, but it's an effort. Probably restricts the possibilities alot for me. I love the photos you take! Very imaginative and creative.

Wow, beautiful shots, All! I need to use this lens more than I do ... but then again, I feel that way about a number of my lenses LOL

What are your settings? If you are shooting with a wide aperture, this lens has a really shallow DOF and it can be tough to get the focus sweet right where you want it. Anything wider than f8 can be a challenge. Also check your shutter speed to make sure you are fast enough...I found that when I first started using the 100 I had to up my shutter as I was getting a little shake. As I got used to the lens and honed my technique, I was able to drop my shutter and can now hand hold at quite low speeds. It just takes practice.

I think I have said before my 18 - 250 says it is Macro but I dont understand how it can be a long zoom and be macro at the same time??

It's not a true macro lens, but the "macro" feature will do one of two things (and sometimes both) -> in macro mode it will allow you to focus with less distance between the lens and the subject than in non-macro mode and/or it will give you some magnification. For instance, the Sigma 17-70's magnification is 1:2.3 (the 100mm is 1:1). These kind of lenses can be great compromises, but if you want to do 1:1 and you want super sharpness, then a dedicated prime macro is the way to go.

TLC, yes, I have a Canon. I bought the 100mm 2.8 because it's an EF which means if, in time I go to a full frame camera it will still fit. The 60mm is an EF-S which means it cant be used on a full frame.

FWIW this isn't precisely true. You need to be willing to buy another part from Canon (a different baffle) and do a little DIY, but the EF-S lenses will migrate to other bodies with the hack. I've heard that the 60 on a non 1.6 crop body is the just the bees knees, but I haven't bothered to hack any of mine yet.

after seeing all the cool macros photos u guys have been taking i went into the camera shop yesterday to price up a macro lens..

im going to be hoping that my family love me lots and give me cash for my birthday and xmas this year and maybe then ill have a hope of being able to afford one lol

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. I love the dandelion one too. there's not many flowers around here, especially at this time of year. I'll have to try Iltbys honey trick for the ants though.

KJA the apeture was 5 and the speed was 1/100 (a bit slow?) and ISO 200 for the shot of Tag.

KJA the apeture was 5 and the speed was 1/100 (a bit slow?) and ISO 200 for the shot of Tag.

f5 on the 100mm macro is really shallow! Underwater I never drop below f8 and usually those just drive me nuts so I don't do that very often. Even at f11 and f13 you are still getting a pretty darn shallow DOF but you're getting more flexibility of getting a really crispy shot on the point you want crisp. On land it would be rare for me to open this lens up that much unless I was really going for total isolation, had a static subject and external light source.

thanks, I really like it too. As far as a Canon Macro I think the retail is close to $1000 now. price them at the big retailers and then decide how much you're prepared to pay for a 2nd hand. When you buy 2nd hand it's best to get the box and all that comes with it, manual, packaging etc. Never throw that stuff out if you ever plan to re sell.

I wont say what I paid for mine, but I bought it from the US and it was still cheaper than most 2nd hands I was seeing here, that was when our $$ was only worth 69c US through Paypal. Our $$ is stronger now so you might find a better deal that way. Then you've got the stress of waiting, waiting, waiting and hoping you weren't ripped off. I am very happy with mine though.

here you go

http://www.shopbot.com.au/pp-canon-ef-100m...94-1900970.html

Not sure if those cheaper stockists actually have the lens in stock, and you also have delivery costs on top.

Edited by Kirislin