I Wonder Why ...

That's exactly how all the other roos are obtained too :o Except , instead of one... the shooter may get 50 a night!

Ooohhh, dont tell me that persephone. I want to think that if it comes from the butcher it's killed humanely (if there is such a way)

Provided the shooter knows his stuff, often a bullet to the roo whilst its out in the field is the more humane way.

I was concerned that wild roo would be full of tapeworms though? I remember something about it being mentioned during puppy class.

Thanks for the link :)

That's the sort of thing I want to know about too, SecretKei.

Edited by Erny

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much helpto you because I'm in Tassie but I can get tails (usually chopped up) or spines (with pelvis attached) for our dog. She loves them!! The tails are nice and meaty (at the body end anyway. She is happy with the spines too though and eats most of it. I get them at the doggy butcher. I don't worry so much about tapeworm because we have wild wallabies here and she eats their poop and whatever else she can scavenge anyway.

it's killed humanely (if there is such a way)

they have a MUCH more humane death than sheep/cattle :) No yards, no herding, no transport while alive..

roos are normally shot by professionals.. one bullet direct to the brain- usually the kangaroo is chewing grass- gets surprised by the spotlight.. that's it.

Our family supplied kangaroos for pet and human consumption for many years- I have seen/handled more dead roos than I ever want to see again :o... but it was money.

That's exactly how all the other roos are obtained too :o Except , instead of one... the shooter may get 50 a night!

Ooohhh, dont tell me that persephone. I want to think that if it comes from the butcher it's killed humanely (if there is such a way)

Provided the shooter knows his stuff, often a bullet to the roo whilst its out in the field is the more humane way.

I was concerned that wild roo would be full of tapeworms though? I remember something about it being mentioned during puppy class.

That's the sort of thing I want to know about too, SecretKei.

If you regularly worm your dog, he/she will be ok.

Try a greyhound meat supplier Erny.

My guess is that bones aren't widely available because not much slaughter accords to human food grade standards - therefore butchers and supermarkets can't sell them.

My understanding is that roos are an intermediate host for tapeworms.. there shouldn't be an issue with muscle meat and its nothing regular worming doesn't fix. :)

there shouldn't be an issue with muscle meat and its nothing regular worming doesn't fix.

6 weekly for hydatids.

The main downside to feeding roo is that it makes the most disgusting farts ever (from people and dogs).

The main downside to feeding roo is that it makes the most disgusting farts ever (from people and dogs).

Ummmmm .... we noticed this when at the Vet's this morning :).

Erny quickly adds that it was the dog that done it :o

Edited by Erny

Any roo meat you get is wild, and yes they are all shot, no other way to do it with Roos.

Best source for bones is a Pet Meat supplier, most of them butcher their own meat so they will have the bones.

I can get a 20 kg frozen slab for $35 here in Western Vic. Took me probably 2 hours to separate them out and then chop them up into daily sized portions, but I paid $2/tail today for some relatively small tails 1/2 tails.

Looks like I need to work out a safe way of defrosting them, they won't fit in the fridge in that sized block. It was the defrosting/separating that took so much time last time.

Have to say I have no issues with Darcy farting on roo, but on lamb :mad phewie!!!

Would love to get it cheaper, but I think the only way I would find it any cheaper in country vic to is to shoot and cut it up myself. Tempting given the price of it lately. :o

I feed roo tail when I want to drop weight off the dog.

5 pieces for $5, each piece gets cut in half and each dog gets a piece. So $1 a day for the sibes.

Montu gets a roo tail and a chicken frame though so it's not as cheap to feed him on roo... I think yours is a Ridgie so you'd be feeding more than I feed to Montu?

I can get a 20 kg frozen slab for $35 here in Western Vic. Took me probably 2 hours to separate them out and then chop them up into daily sized portions, but I paid $2/tail today for some relatively small tails 1/2 tails.

Looks like I need to work out a safe way of defrosting them, they won't fit in the fridge in that sized block. It was the defrosting/separating that took so much time last time.

Hah been there done that. :) Not safe to defrost and then refreeze if feeding raw, durn it. Hacksaw and a lot of elbow grease works, but once you've got the blade a fair way in don't ever, ever stop moving it LOL!!! Learned that the hard way!

My ex swore by the chainsaw as a quick and easy method - but he wasn't the one who had to scrub down the (external) walls and decking afterwards... :offtopic:

My final solution: my good old Wiltshire electric carving knife using the frozen food blades (only thing they ever did get used for LOL)!

A few years ago after my OH culled roos from our property I thought what a waste of good meat so I decided to butcher my own roo meat for my dogs. I,m pretty good at it now, I only use the meat from the hind quarters. I pack and freeze then thaw as fresh roo has a smell!

I have found the bones to be very hard and when cut brittle. More so than beef bones, I have large dogs so I have had no problems...yet. The only large bone is in their back legs maybe that is why there is not much around.

I must say I never thought to get a tail so after reading here I will try some. One problem I have found feeding straight roo is that my dogs loose weight .

Not safe to defrost and then refreeze if feeding raw, durn it.

You know I'd never thought of that, and no-one has ever pointed it out to me either. :wave:

I've been buying roo tail for well over 6 months as a main source of protein/bones nearly daily. I've been grabbing about 10 days worth, chopping them up into daily sizes and freezing them separately. One day the store didn't have any in the fridge, and the grabbed some out the back for me which were still partly frozen. So they're defrosted in the store, and I've been bringing them home and freezing them again once they're chopped up.

It's a 45 minute drive to the store so I can't really do it any other way, and my dog has been doing great on it. Been feeding it for well over 12 months with no issues :)

LOL at the chainsaw - great idea! Chopping up tails isn't one of my favourite jobs. Anything that makes it easier is good in my books, but the clean up would suck. :offtopic:

I feed roo tail when I want to drop weight off the dog.

5 pieces for $5, each piece gets cut in half and each dog gets a piece. So $1 a day for the sibes.

Montu gets a roo tail and a chicken frame though so it's not as cheap to feed him on roo... I think yours is a Ridgie so you'd be feeding more than I feed to Montu?

Where do you get  roo on the Sunny Coast?

The best price I have got so far is 20 kgs of fresh Roo tails at $58. :laugh:

Ok - I think I saw another reply in here from Vic - who was it and where /how much....

I called in to Robbos today - I thought I would get Piper a treat - NOT AT $5.50 EACH :laugh:

At these prices I will go and shoot my own stinking roo - my parents own 1200 acres and they will not shoot any of them, they are grazing on the property by the 100's some days. But he will not shoot them, not even for me. I think I will have to have a nice talk to my nephew, he has been telling me for yrs that he will supply me with roo when I want them, well at these prices I do now..

Anyone know what the culling quota on private property in Victoria is? I have the freezer space here and at my parents. Dad has one at the farm big enough to hold about 5 of them, I wonder if I could go for the weekend and fill it up :laugh:

Would be one way to get me to visit them every 2nd weekend. :rolleyes: