Finnish Lapphund

Troy

Coat thickness can vary depending on the line (some lines seem to be heavier coated than others) as well as individual dog (you can get variations between siblings), whether its a male or female Lappie (males have a bigger coat) and then, environmental conditions....!You can also get different coats too - some dogs have really long guard hairs but less of an undercoat, some have a lot of undercoat but shorter guard coat. It can vary :mad but the standard calls for a 'proffus coat'.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site because I'm doing some research. It might be a little early but I like to be prepared! My partner and I are looking to get a dog after we move to Canberra and buy a house in the middle of the year - we're on the Sunshine Coast at the moment and our body corporate won't allow us to have pets :-(

I think the Finnish Lapphunds are adorable and I was hoping for some more information, please.

My main issue is that I have allergies. Some dogs (like my family's Shelties) are fine but others (like their German Shepherd) I react to instantly. Obviously I'll need to spend some time with them to find out, but in the meantime I was wondering whether any of you had any experience with allergic reactions with Lappies? The only spitz breed I've had contact with is a Japanese Spitz and I had no reaction at all - how similar are their coats?

We're planning to end up with two dogs: a boy and a girl. With my family's Shelties, we got our boy about 2 years before our girl which worked out nicely, but I was hoping for some opinions on buying littermates. Any advice? My concern is that it would be difficult to train two pups at once. We'd also consider buying an older boy and a girl pup, or doing the same thing we did with the Shelties. I'd love any suggestions on these options.

While doing some online research I fell in love with the wolf-sable colour but I understand it's rare in Australia. Do you know of any breeders producing this colour? I'm more concerned about temperament than colouring, but I thought I'd ask just in case - they're just so cute!

Also, since we'll be moving such a long way, we don't know anything about the vets in Canberra. Could anyone please recommend a good one?

Thanks very much for any advice you can give!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site because I'm doing some research. It might be a little early but I like to be prepared! My partner and I are looking to get a dog after we move to Canberra and buy a house in the middle of the year - we're on the Sunshine Coast at the moment and our body corporate won't allow us to have pets :-(

I think the Finnish Lapphunds are adorable and I was hoping for some more information, please.

My main issue is that I have allergies. Some dogs (like my family's Shelties) are fine but others (like their German Shepherd) I react to instantly. Obviously I'll need to spend some time with them to find out, but in the meantime I was wondering whether any of you had any experience with allergic reactions with Lappies? The only spitz breed I've had contact with is a Japanese Spitz and I had no reaction at all - how similar are their coats?

We're planning to end up with two dogs: a boy and a girl. With my family's Shelties, we got our boy about 2 years before our girl which worked out nicely, but I was hoping for some opinions on buying littermates. Any advice? My concern is that it would be difficult to train two pups at once. We'd also consider buying an older boy and a girl pup, or doing the same thing we did with the Shelties. I'd love any suggestions on these options.

While doing some online research I fell in love with the wolf-sable colour but I understand it's rare in Australia. Do you know of any breeders producing this colour? I'm more concerned about temperament than colouring, but I thought I'd ask just in case - they're just so cute!

Also, since we'll be moving such a long way, we don't know anything about the vets in Canberra. Could anyone please recommend a good one?

Firstly welcome... I won't comment on the breed, but there are some great breeders on the forum who will pop in and give you heaps of info. Also jump into the Spitz thread, plenty of Lappie photos to get you going.

But on the Canberra side, I can help with that. We live on the north side and can highly recommend the Gungahlin clinic. Their nurses are lovely and the vets are really knowledgeable. Their facilities are top notch. Sure there are probably cheaper vets in the area, but they are worth it - you can see where your money goes to. There is also an emergency vet that all the clinics defer to, they operate after hours. Haven't had the need to use them yet (thank god) but believe they are also vey good.

Feel free to pm me if you want the inside oil on Canberra!

Edited by KumaAkita

Also a Canberra person.

I unfortunatly have had to use the after hours place and to be honnest I wasnt that impressed but hey, they saved the cat in the end so thats what matters.

They wont let you in the door though without paying first.....so be ready for that.

Vets I have liked in the area would be Peter Burgess in Ainslie, he's brilliant! Very small practise but he's been in it forever.

Also West Queanbeyan, couldn't reccomend them more :confused:

Hi everyone,

Hi Revontulet,

I can't answer all of your questions, but I can probably help with some.

Lapphunds are pretty adorable! Their coats do vary a little bit though, so it may be best to see if you can arrange to meet some and see how you react. Are you able to get to Sydney or Melbourne for a Lappie Meet? We have had them four times a year in Melbourne, but there's no details yet on the next one. Alternatively you might like to contact Watersedge or Theldaroy, breeders who are both in Queensland.

Generally speaking it's much easier to raise puppies separately, but two of my Tarja's littermates, a brother and sister, went to the same home and have done really, really well, so it's possible to raise two together if you're prepared to do a lot of hard work. I personally took the adult-and-pup option, and had the wonderful opportunity to foster a good natured, well trained adult male for Tarja's first three months with me. I eventually plan to get another pup when Tarja's adult and more settled, but she's still in teenager phase at the moment. I know I could not have raised two puppies together very well, but your circumstances may be different.

Unfortunately there are no dogs in Australia capable of producing wolf sable at the moment, much to my disappointment - it's also my favourite coat colour, which I fell in love with before ever meeting a lappie in the flesh. The only wolf sable that was around has unfortunately passed away and had no offspring, but he was totally gorgeous - the first Lappie I met, actually.

I can't help you with vets in Canberra, but a couple of people have already given you some advice there.

Unfortunately there are no dogs in Australia capable of producing wolf sable at the moment, much to my disappointment - it's also my favourite coat colour, which I fell in love with before ever meeting a lappie in the flesh. The only wolf sable that was around has unfortunately passed away and had no offspring, but he was totally gorgeous - the first Lappie I met, actually.

Alaska has just fathered a litter in the USA where there have been two wolfsable puppies born.

Alaska has just fathered a litter in the USA where there have been two wolfsable puppies born.

Yes, but from how I understand the genetics, wolf sable is dominant to all other colours apart from cream which works separately from the black and tan/brown/recessive black colour genes. That means you need a wolf sable or cream-masked wolf sable parent to produce wolf sable with a dog of a more recessive colour, and there are none in Australia now Memphis is gone. Alaska's American pups have a cream-masked wolf sable mum, so the colour comes from her. If Alaska had the wolf sable gene he'd be wolf sable, because it's dominant to black and tan and would mask it. I live in hope that someone will import a wolf sable though :-)

Someone feel free to correct my understanding of colour genetics if I have them wrong, they are far more complicated in dogs than cats and I'm used to working them out for cats. Just to complicate it further the reddish/creamy colour called sable overseas is more dominant again, but there's none of those in Australia either so I left that out. A sable of that colour which was carrying wolf sable could also produce wolf sable pups with a black and tan.

Edited by LappieHappy

Someone feel free to correct my understanding of colour genetics if I have them wrong

No, you're spot on :o

I would caution against getting littermates... Sometimes it works, yes, but it is a lot of work. I always go by the rule of getting 1 dog and not getting the second (or 3rd or 4th...) until the first is the type of adult you want them to be. That way the first dog can help teach the second dog the house rules and how to behave appropriately, rather than passing on their bad habits. Also keep in mind that not all breeders will let two littermates go together, so you would need to speak to some breeders to see what they're happy with.

If you were to go for two littermates, you would have to spend a lot of time training them separately and you would need to watch out for behavioural issues that can happen when two littermates stay together.

KumaAkita and Bjelkier - thanks very much for the vet advice, I'll definitely check them out.

LappieHappy - I don't think I could make it to Sydney or Melbourne in the near future so I'll get in touch with the QLD breeders first. Thanks for the suggestion!

Good point about the littermates - it's pretty much what I was expecting to hear and I don't think it would be the right option for us. My partner and I definitely want two dogs and we want one to be a boy and the other to be a girl, but we disagree about which one to get first - he wants the boy to be older. I was hoping getting them at the same might solve the problem, but I might have to cave and let him get his boy first. Not that I'll be disappointed, I'm sure he'll be a cutie!

What a shame about the wolf sables! Oh well, my partner wants a black one so maybe by the time we're ready for a girl there'll be some wolf sables around.

TerraNik - thanks for adding your advice on littermates as well. With our Shelties, our boy definitely kept our girl in line. I think doing the same thing with our new dogs will be the best idea.

You've all been so helpful! Thank you!

• 2 months later...

Hi Revontulet,

We own and breed lappies in the Sth burnett region of Qld. We will actually be in Brisbane on Sunday 3rd April at Kings Ave Durack. Also in Toowoomba on the 1st. You are welcome to PM us and organise a lappie visit. Alternatively i can put you in contact of several owners in and around Brisbane.

Theldaroy.

• 1 month later...

Depending on the breeder and if you wanted pet or show, you're looking at between $1200 and $1500 for pet, up to $2000 for show.

I would say that most breeders would quote $1500 for a pet and $2000 for a show prospect.

Hi all, I just discovered this forum today so I thought I'd drop in and introduce myself :) My name is Millie and I have two Finnish Lapphunds, Aggie and Bear. They're four years old as of today hehe.

This is Aggie:

5265134451_82ab360376.jpg

And this is Bear:

5265133257_5e02dc6ca4.jpg

Edited by Millie-Moo

Hi there Millie-Moo, gorgeous Lappies, I love the browns. Pop into the Spitz thread in the Sub-forums and say 'hi', there a lot of us Lappie owners in there and so many are like you where one isn't enough lol. I'm strong and haven't given into temptation yet and have just the one ;)

ETA Snap Getel :D

Edited by Tobster