What Camera?

all that glitters

Do you mean, go the whole hog and get a DSLR..with interchangeable lenses and all that ?

Or- get a camera which gives you manual control and the opportunity to do macro or zoom.. and pre set stuff, but without having to buy extra lenses?

I mean the whole hog with lenses and stuff. So I can use different filters, focus on different points, change aperture and shutter speed, make the background blur and the subject not etc etc

Canon has a few different models at a variety of price points. Some have the option of coming with a kit lens or two.

Have a little looksee through the photo area here as several have recently purchased new cameras and those threads have some great information as well as details on prices and where things were bought.

The Canon 1000, 400 and 450 are all good starting places and will be lowest in price; the Canon 40D is awesome and you won't grow out of it anytime soon.

Good luck and have fun shopping!!

Get a Nikon, we're sadly outnumbered here :heart:

I'm a photography newbie and I have a D60. I like it, it's small for a DSLR, and I've found it really easy to use. The display is really easy to read and understand too. It has a nifty little graphic where you can see how changing the aperture opens and closes the...um hole thing in the lens (yes, technical) lol. I found that pretty useful in figuring out DOF and stuff when I first started.

i have a nikon d40, which i got with a twin lens kit for under $700 just after christmas.

it was recommended to me by dad as a great beginners dslr (he was a photojournalist for a long time). he bought one for mum for xmas and i was jealous so went out and got one for myself. i only got it for the price i did cause dad had bought it a week or so previously for that. sales guy must of thought i was a sucker coz he wasn't going to give me to me for less than about $150 more. so i went somewhere else, which didn't have any in stock. told them the story with the first shop, and how my dad had gotten a much better price the week before, and the guy said if i take his receipt back to that store that they should honour the exact price he got it for, and they did :laugh:

i have to admit i don't use it much as i'd like, as i haven't figured out the manual stuff (the technical talk confuses me) and i tend to just use it on auto. but it takes fantastic pics on auto :D

• 2 weeks later...
...... replacing the D60

Yes it's the new entry level, which went from D40, to D40x, to D60. I had a good look at one the other day, was vaguely thinking of selling my D40 and buying the D3000 as the new "handbag camera". The new features are good, it is really really lovely. But I decided to stick with the D40 as I can't justify the expense, as the D40 is so reliable.

Agree with people who have also recommended D80 and D90. I have both, and both are excellent, without going to the big price jump for a D300 or D3. (There are still the lens restrictions with the D3000, but that is trivial, really a non-issue). Can't you declare Christmas early this year?