Keeping Working Breeds Or Big Dogs In Small Spaces

dee lee

I have a tiny yard, and in my search for a dog I have kept this in mind, thinking that certain breeds would not be happy in such a small space.

Along the way I have heard people say that its cruel to keep large dogs or working breeds in apartments and then on the flip side I'm given examples of such dogs living in apartments!

Personally I feel that with the right amount of stimulation/exercise a large dog would be fine in a small space but I would probably wouldnt attempt a working dog.

This isn't a what breed for me topic- having had a recent conversation with a breeder about this I am just interested to hear what others think and what their experiences are. :love:

Edited by ✽deelee

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really think it's the size of the dog e.g. greyhounds make perfect apartment dogs, but I think you're on the money about working breeds. That said though, I'm sure there are some happy working breeds in apartments, but I personally wouldn't try it. I think yards are a different story though. We have a massive yard, yet neither of my dogs will take themselves for a run around it. They still need me to provide the activity.

Edited by huga

Deelee, I have a pretty small yard (not appartment sized, but small). I worried about it with my Ridgie but the only time he ever ventures out there is to eat bones or sunbake and occasionally do zoomies around the yard. He'd rather be inside any day!

There are some breeds that might not cope with it, however in Europe especially there are plenty of well balanced large dogs living in tiny little appartments and they cope fine :love:

I guess like with anything if you put in the work (mental stimulation, training and exercise) you wont have a problem.

Personally I wouldn't do it. But having said that my breed of choice is very active and noisy (working breed), I am sure there are many Samoyeds out there living in flats and the like but I wouldn't do it because it would make life harder for me.

I think it really comes down to the dog itself and what kind of situation you are in. If the dog is able to get a walk twice a day or so (for an active working animal) along with heaps on mental stimulation I see no reason it couldn't work out.

Edited by Wolfsong

My two 30kg dogs - one Rottie X and one Labrador - would both prefer to be inside and lazing on the couch than out in the yard.

All of my foster puppies have picked up this trait within the first week of coming to my place as well... lol! But at least they can be coaxed to go outside and play zoomies more often...

T.

I have a fairly small yard, and it took a lot of thinking to decide whether a larger dog would be ok for us in our yard, but in the end I decided that it wasn't the size of the yard that was important, it was the degree of commitment we could provide for regular/daily mental & physical exercise.

I think that a dog in a large yard can often be worse off because the owners assume the dog is fine just sitting there in the yard and needs nothing else, or maybe just a walk every now and then.

I don't think I'd get a border collie with the yard I've got, or another very active working breed, but I think that writing off all medium/large breed dogs just on backyard size alone is unnecessary.

The only other thing with a small yard is that I think access to the house is important - if the dog will just be in the backyard alone then that's a different issue and is not ideal.

Gypsy has free access to the house while we're home and when we're gone (well some rooms are blocked off, but she can come and go as she pleases.

Edited by Serket

Our four dogs do use alot of the yard themselves playing and doing zoomies, however we do notice when they haven't been walked enough or it's been too warm outside and all they have done is snooze. Poppy would be more than fine in a small yard as she would rather spend all day inside, on the bed than do anything else.

I think you do have to consider how big the dog is compared to the space it will occupy. I desperately wanted to take home a 7 month old Akita earlier in the year, but he was huge and just looking at the size of him and imagining how he would move around in our small house and yard was enough to make us rethink and decide on a smaller breed. I was like, where will he sleep? Our bedroom doesn't have enough floor space for him and Kivi! Once he stretches out he will take up half the spare floor space in the kitchen. He would have been fine exercise-wise, but we have some really tight spaces around here that such a large dog would have trouble negotiating.

Otherwise, it comes down to how much exercise you can give them. Most dogs sleep all day as long as they are given enough exercise, but a very active dog could have just as much trouble handling a large yard as a small yard if no one is there during the day to give it things to do. My mother has a Kelpie/Boxer cross who will just amuse herself if she doesn't get enough exercise. Dogs that amuse themselves rarely choose ways that are conducive to good human-dog relationships!

Even my ever ready for a game Border Collie Kenzie would be fine in a small yard so long as she got regular exercise and training. They get those anyway along with the occasional throw of the frisbee in the yard. I don't think the size of the yard is an issue. I know in the US people have kept multiple BCs pretty content in an apartment building.

They take them out 2 or 3 times a day for a walk/run or out to training.

Riley (Kelpie X) would of not coped in a small yard when he was younger, but now at 8 he would.

When he was young he was never tired. We had to constantly have things to keep him occupied in the yard, and he really did use the space.

Edited by wagsalot

I also see no issues with large/active breeds in apartments or small yards as long as they are given enough exercise and mental stimulation. It's very common in Europe to have dogs in apartments and these dogs are often larger or more active breeds.

I lived in a house with a tiny little backyard and a small side courtyard with a young border collie and a GSDx with no major issues. They just needed to get out to the park to stretch their legs pretty much every day.

My OH is of the mind that active/working/large breeds don't belong in small yards or apartments but I don't think he understands that if the dog gets enough exercise and training then it will be fine no matter what space it lives in, it depends on the individual dog on how much training and exercise it would need.

Although I think Corvus makes a good point about taking into consideration the size/layout of the house/apartment as well as the dog that you might be considering. A tight space and a larger dog just might get a bit crowded and lots of possibilities for damage to stuff in the house!

I don't think it would be cruel provided exercise and mental stimulation is provided. And you're obviously planning to do that.

I have a BC x Kelpie in an average sized backyard. He doesn't self-exercise or really utilise the space AT ALL. If he had an acre it would make no difference to him. But we walk, train, play games etc. and that is what makes him happy.

Someone down the road has a BC in a townhouse with a small courtyard. I was kinda like "Is it right to have a dog like that in such a small area?", but we barely even know it's there. It barks every now and then when we go past with our dogs, but otherwise not a peep, and the courtyard hasn't been destroyed. :laugh: Can't complain. It seems to be working for them.

I think that you will have the biggest problems with any dog if they aren't taken outside the perimeter of their home... however i think some breeds can handle it for longer than others. IMO all dogs can do well in small spaces so long as they are taken outside of that space and given plenty of mental stimulation.

I have a large backyard (about an acre) and paddocks but my dogs spend most of their time with me. When I used to work and now when I leave the property the dogs are kept in a run 15 metres by 5 metres, probably smaller than your backyard with no problems. I don't know how my dogs would cope in a small suburban yard - I think they would bark at any noise made by neighbours, but I would imagine a dog brought up hearing these noises regularly rather than being in a quiet country environment would be used to them. My dogs have two off lead walks/runs/wrestles in the paddocks each day and the Kelpies work sheep regularly. I don't think they would like walking on lead around city streets, but then they might find the environment more interesting than paddocks. So much depends on how much mental stimulation you can give your dogs. This is so much more important than a large backyard or mindless exercise.

I recently heard of a Kelpie who had been owned by an active professional couple who ran and rode bikes kilometres each day with the dog running alongside. When they came home, the dog was kept in the backyard (never the house) and was bored and lonely for twenty-two hours each day. He began barking, digging and destroying the yard and was eventually rehomed with a very large extended Italian family. The dog thought he had gone to heaven. He was often only walked at weekends but was always with people. He would sit by the great grandfather's chair and keep him company. The baby would play with him - not always appropriately or well supervised but the dog greeted clutching hands with lots of licks. He spent time with the grandmother when she worked in her garden. When the children came home from school he would play with them. He was allowed to come inside where he was could lie around with the family. He was much happier in this situation than in the home where he had lots of exercise.

We are on 13 acres I admit that the dogs do have free range when supervised but our yard is a decent size but where are they to be found on the couch or on the bed snoozing. Dogs like to be with people regardless of how big or small your house or yard is. I agree if you can keep up the mental and physical stimulation that is great. Mine are terriers and have tons of energy but they do zoomies, ball chasing and games and they are very happy in their smaller yard and unit... yes we are in a small two bedroom unit.

I think, it depends on the dog's energy level, and how much training/exercise you're willingly to invest in the dog.

But, dogs adjust quickly and if it's an indoor dog.. they just rather hang out inside then outside.