Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Valley - i have a spare copy ofthe marshes and meadows one (was also recommended to me)... i accidentally ordered two copies so you are welcome to one if you want it... it's still in the plastic... i just have to find it!

Thats sounds great ST if you find it by Saturday can you bring it along and let me know how much you want for it?

Also big favour to ask, can I borrow your show stackers? :rofl: I think the time has come to teach Lincoln proper stacking.

OOhhh I want to come to the one on the 9th of May!!!

I might go along to that this time. I RSVP'd to one last year and totally forgot about it :rofl:

Cool I am sure it will be fun. I have given up on obedience with Mason, may even stop going to class, he has been so hyper the last week I can hardly even walk him as he is pulling and doing his own thing. Dont know if he is acting out coz I have been working a few hrs each day and he isnt used to being alone so much?

Edited by Masons_mom

I might go along to that this time. I RSVP'd to one last year and totally forgot about it :confused:

Cool I am sure it will be fun. I have given up on obedience with Mason, may even stop going to class, he has been so hyper the last week I can hardly even walk him as he is pulling and doing his own thing. Dont know if he is acting out coz I have been working a few hrs each day and he isnt used to being alone so much?

Toby went through a phase of that but grew out of it. He is a lab puppy remember Masons Mom, Bronson didn't mature properly until he was about 3 and a half! Since then he still gets excited but can stop and think.

MM - allergy to food i believe comes out differently... Faolmor's lab zep gets poo explosions, whereas spartan gets awful skin rash and then awful pussy scabs and has to have antibiotics, but hwen he was a pup he also had the bad gut and bloody stool...

Jazzy my sister didn't get a call from them, and asked several people when she called to find out but they couldn't tell her anything.. she didn't get any photos from Studio Noah as she already had loads from them from a previous shoot.

ValleyCBR of course you can borrow my show stackers... i just keep forgetting to bring them!! I've set a reminder for myself to pack them in the car on Saturday. the book, well, that might be a bit harder for me to track down cos i think it's in a box somewhere, but I will give it a go!!

I might go along to that this time. I RSVP'd to one last year and totally forgot about it :rofl:

Toby went through a phase of that but grew out of it. He is a lab puppy remember Masons Mom, Bronson didn't mature properly until he was about 3 and a half! Since then he still gets excited but can stop and think.

Agreed. I have told MM a zillion times about how I used to be in tears quite often with Ruby at class when she was a youngster. She still has a long way to go, but I am pretty darn proud of how far she's come :confused: It is soooooooooo rewarding to get through that terror stage and come out with an adult who loves to work! (well, except for Sunday, she didn't want to work then :cry:)

I might go along to that this time. I RSVP'd to one last year and totally forgot about it :eek:

Agreed. I have told MM a zillion times about how I used to be in tears quite often with Ruby at class when she was a youngster. She still has a long way to go, but I am pretty darn proud of how far she's come :confused: It is soooooooooo rewarding to get through that terror stage and come out with an adult who loves to work! (well, except for Sunday, she didn't want to work then :cry:)

I am an adult and I dont want to work lol :rofl:

I might go along to that this time. I RSVP'd to one last year and totally forgot about it :cheer:

Agreed. I have told MM a zillion times about how I used to be in tears quite often with Ruby at class when she was a youngster. She still has a long way to go, but I am pretty darn proud of how far she's come :confused: It is soooooooooo rewarding to get through that terror stage and come out with an adult who loves to work! (well, except for Sunday, she didn't want to work then :rofl:)

I am an adult and I dont want to work lol :eek:

Me too :thumbsup:

I don't get paid as often as Ruby does to work. Once a month!! Is that meant to make me want to keep working hard all month long? Nope!! :cry: I don't even get much encouragement between rounds!!

I actually wouldn't recommend Studio Noah. Yes they take absolutely brilliant shots. But the cost of the photos is a rip off and they will not allow you to buy copyright so they cannot be used on websites :confused: How do I know? Coz my Mum got some done, bought over $1000 worth of photos (which was for a book of 10 photos and two enlargements- one of which was free with the $300 session fee) and they stuffed up the book that the photos came in and would not fix it and when asked if we could buy copyright they said no straight away :cry:

Have arrived in Brisbane and I am now looking after a flock of tollers :rofl: - 7 including Scoota.

Scoots has already been for his first swim in the dam - funny fellow he was - he hasn't swum for 18 months and that was in the Aqua Doggies Pool - anyway he stood on the edge of the dam - his tail wagging madly, standing on his toes - he looked at me - looked at the water and then launched himself and started swimming - just wish I got it on video. He is now sound asleep at my feet laying next to his dad who is 13 yeard old and not in the best of health. Looking forward to the next couple of days lots of R&R :eek:

SparkyTansy - you should have said hi at the last trial - it would have added another piece to the DOL jigsaw :cry:

Best of luck to everybody competing at the State Agility Champs this weekend :confused:

Have arrived in Brisbane and I am now looking after a flock of tollers :cry: - 7 including Scoota.

When I read this I suddenly got that song in my head - 'I see red, I see red, I see red!' :confused:

Good to hear you and Scoota are having a great time!

Can anyone recommend a groomer in Geraldton? I have to make a quick trip there next week and thought I would take the opportunity to give my little girl a treat. She has a pretty long coat and has been moulting like mad the last couple of weeks, also seems to be getting more matting than I have found before, mainly around her ears and neck, so would like some help and advice as well as a good grooming session. I have bought a Christensen brush and try my best with her coat, but desperately need some guidance, :cry: would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

Is this a show dog or pet??

At this stage i would say our equipment is wrong.

You need a combo comb to brush behind the ears,good slicker brush(lawrence ever gentle,doogyman)great again for behind the ears to fluff out the coat before combing through

The christensen brush depending on which one you brought is more a finishing brush.

With her neck does she wear a collar??

showdog, thanks for the reply, Marlin is a pet, I was using a slicker, but she hates it, and have a couple of combs, one a combination and one wider teeth that turn, the christensen is a 27mm pin brush, that she is ok with. She does wear a collar, i changed it out recently for a narrow one hoping it might make a difference, my OH is against me removing it alltogether which would be my preference when she is at home :confused: I was kinda hoping someone would be able to give me some hands on tips, being remote it can be difficult to get advice. :rofl:

Hi ST, That is exactly what Mason has but lucky its not really very very bad, he does scratch etc at certain times of the day but not enough to break the skin or even make his skin pink, his eyes do swell if he touches diff plants. We went to the Naturopath today and I need to get him the EP Holistic Select Salmon and Anchovy, start him on fish oil capsules and give him some natural hayfever relief when he is itchy or has the swollen eyes. No chicken, beef or lamb etc, he can have liver treats though. I forgot to ask what I an use as training treats :eek: I usually use BBQ sausages but those are out, maybe I need to use fish fingers :rofl:

Gosh that doesn't leave you with an awful lot of options does it!! I guess Mason will have no trouble keeping to his goal weight :thumbsup:

Don't feel discouraged about Mason at obedience, Sooty was exactly the same and ironically she stopped lunging towards other dogs when we got to class four and we didn't have the lead on any more :confused: I always thought my goodness if she was like this with obedience training what would she be like without!? Everytime in class two and three the instructor walked around to 'check your badge' she tried to jump up on them or greet them. We don't do this in class four but last week when we joined class three again they walked around and I had a momentary flashback of naughty dog but this time she didn't do anything Yay! She might finally be maturing! :cry:

It does depend on whether you enjoy it or not, it has to be something you are interested in or you are not going to get any enjoyment out of it.

showdog, thanks for the reply, Marlin is a pet, I was using a slicker, but she hates it, and have a couple of combs, one a combination and one wider teeth that turn, the christensen is a 27mm pin brush, that she is ok with. She does wear a collar, i changed it out recently for a narrow one hoping it might make a difference, my OH is against me removing it alltogether which would be my preference when she is at home :confused: I was kinda hoping someone would be able to give me some hands on tips, being remote it can be difficult to get advice. :cry:

Unless your slicker brush is too hard & scratchy your dog doesnt get to choice which brush it likes.

The brush she does like will not do the job so the knots will get worse.

You have the right comb so use that to the fulliest for behind the ears.as for the collar she can wear it BUT make sure you remove & brush,we groom fulltime & the number of dogs whose coat is attached to there collar as its not removed & brushed is countless,also picking a collar that is suitable makes a massive difference,some collars whilst look pretty for the humans are totally impractical for the dog & coat.

It really is like brushing your hair do it regularly & thoroughly from the top through to the skin.

Training the dog is amust & it doesnt get to pick & choose

I actually wouldn't recommend Studio Noah. Yes they take absolutely brilliant shots. But the cost of the photos is a rip off and they will not allow you to buy copyright so they cannot be used on websites :confused: How do I know? Coz my Mum got some done, bought over $1000 worth of photos (which was for a book of 10 photos and two enlargements- one of which was free with the $300 session fee) and they stuffed up the book that the photos came in and would not fix it and when asked if we could buy copyright they said no straight away :cry:

Although I do recommend Studio Noah because their shots are fantastic but very expensive and we got them half price, when I was setting up my website I asked them if I could use two of the photo's that I had purchased on my site, despite 3 emails and 3 phone calls noone got back to me, I was quite happy for them to say no but I was hoping to get some sort of a response, plus I was going to purchase a gift voucher from them for a grand opening prize draw so they missed out!

That's very disappointing about the book especially when it cost that much, they should have fixed it for goodwill if nothing else!

Hi ST, That is exactly what Mason has but lucky its not really very very bad, he does scratch etc at certain times of the day but not enough to break the skin or even make his skin pink, his eyes do swell if he touches diff plants. We went to the Naturopath today and I need to get him the EP Holistic Select Salmon and Anchovy, start him on fish oil capsules and give him some natural hayfever relief when he is itchy or has the swollen eyes. No chicken, beef or lamb etc, he can have liver treats though. I forgot to ask what I an use as training treats :eek: I usually use BBQ sausages but those are out, maybe I need to use fish fingers :rofl:

Gosh that doesn't leave you with an awful lot of options does it!! I guess Mason will have no trouble keeping to his goal weight :thumbsup:

Don't feel discouraged about Mason at obedience, Sooty was exactly the same and ironically she stopped lunging towards other dogs when we got to class four and we didn't have the lead on any more :confused: I always thought my goodness if she was like this with obedience training what would she be like without!? Everytime in class two and three the instructor walked around to 'check your badge' she tried to jump up on them or greet them. We don't do this in class four but last week when we joined class three again they walked around and I had a momentary flashback of naughty dog but this time she didn't do anything Yay! She might finally be maturing! :cry:

It does depend on whether you enjoy it or not, it has to be something you are interested in or you are not going to get any enjoyment out of it.

I am dead keen on doing obedience, I think there are a few things which are making him like this, number one we usually have a mid week playdate with his friend, the last 2 weeks due to her mums schedule and mine we havent been able to meet up so he isnt getting as much rough and tumble play that he needs, I have been working more and because of this I have been in a bit of a mood so its probably my fault. WHen I am on the PC he lays and looks at me as if to say 'oh mum lets go somewhere I am bored!'

Thank you, I will take that on board, I need to be firmer with the training obviously :confused: . Collar is always removed for brushing and on other occasions like getting rinsed off on return from the beach. I will have a look at other slickers and see what is available. Much appreciate your answer.

Unless your slicker brush is too hard & scratchy your dog doesnt get to choice which brush it likes.

The brush she does like will not do the job so the knots will get worse.

You have the right comb so use that to the fulliest for behind the ears.as for the collar she can wear it BUT make sure you remove & brush,we groom fulltime & the number of dogs whose coat is attached to there collar as its not removed & brushed is countless,also picking a collar that is suitable makes a massive difference,some collars whilst look pretty for the humans are totally impractical for the dog & coat.

It really is like brushing your hair do it regularly & thoroughly from the top through to the skin.

Training the dog is amust & it doesnt get to pick & choose