Tiger Snakes

Ptolomy

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ptolomy I have nursed mnay dogs and cats bitten by both Tiger and Dughites.

There survival rate is dependant on so many things.

The time of year = the concentration of the venom

The time frame previously the snake has bitten

Time between bite and treatment

The size of the dog

The location of the bite.

Generally you see more Tiger snake bites as as a general rule they are a snake that retaliates much more quickly.

I have nursed dogs that have been absolutely flat and intubated and have been standing wanting breakfast the next morning. One was a Great Dane, one was a Jack who was purple and crashing on arrival. Both survived.

I have seen a Kelpie who appeared fine, but 5 days later had problems controlling her body temp, then suffered from a problem where she couldn't swallow food properly and basically had food and fluid going into her lungs. The owners chose Euth for her.

Cats are much better at dealing with snake bite, horses are the worst.

At our hospital from memory all animals were given IV fluids, Vit C, one vet used Depomedrol as well, antibiotics, then vetilation as required.

We had two Aust Silkies bitten by the same Dugite. We breathed for both, one on machine, one by blowing into the tube for 4 and 5 hours each. One died at 3am, the other survived and after about a week in hospital went home.

Some dogs do end up "aging" some end up with organ problems, others are not quite right. Many take up to 12 months to come "right" These are pets usually but have seen working dogs go back to successfully working.

I would not say they are better being bitten by one than the other, they are both horrific and deadly.

My sympathies to your friend it is not a way I would like to lose any of my animals. RIP Doggy.

My area has a high amount of brown snakes around, only last week i walked into the garage and there was one laying across the doorway to the house! i was so thankful it was me who stumbled across it and not my partner or the dogs! , i just relocated it to the bush a few kms away... i think its very cruel when ppl kill them for coming into their homes.. and its also illegal!

in regards to antivenom, what does a vet usually charge to administer this treatmen?, I have been told its only a few hundred dollars.. but a few years ago my mum's cat was bitten by a tiger snake and the poor cat made its way back to the house and was laying on her bed and had wet herself and was laying in abad way.. anyway she took the cat straight to the vet and the vet basically said its $1800 to administer the antivenom, or she can be PTS...

my mother was unable to afford the antivenom, so im wondering.. is it that expensive normally?? or was the vet she went to just a prick!

It cost me $1250 when Mica was bitten.

$808 for one dose of antivinene. $450 for after hours call out fee, fluids, tests and antibitoics.

Obviously if she required further treatment it could have gone into 2 - 3 thousand.

So sorry to hear about your fiends dog. :thumbsup:

Edited by laeral

The antivenom itself is not cheap - the last time I worked in a snake area it was $600-700 for a vial of CSL multivalent antivenom, a bit cheaper if it was straight brown or black snake antivenom. The cost price to veterinarian has also gone up in the last year or so, I think it's now about $700-800. By the time you add in consultation, hospitalisation, fluid therapy, blood work and other medication you could reasonably hit the $1000 mark in the first 24 hours, higher if it requires intensive care or ventilation or a few days in hospital etc.

It depends on the type of snake, the state of the patient at presentation and how things progress from there. There is also some difference between how various vets will approach treatment, evident even just from reading snake bite thread on here - that will have a great influence on how much treatment costs, and potentially the outcomes (although there is always the potential for a bad outcome even when absolutely everything is done).

Edited by Rappie

Yesterday a dog was brought in with a duigite bite and the cost for 1 vial of antivenom was $500 - we were using the combination brown/Tiger snake and it was $1000 a vial.

Rommi N Lewis your experience just about sums up what has been happening over the last 4 days - in the end she couldn't control her body temperature and this morning her organs started shutting down so the decision was immediately made to pts.

Its hard to describe the roller coaster ride we have been on over the last few days, this little girl was only 9 months of age - but had made a big impact on everybody. Its times like this that you really do find out who your friends are, these are the special people who go out of there way to be there when you need them, to send you a text message or email checking that you are OK, to offer you a bed if you need it, so to all of you - Thank you is just not enough......

Yesterday a dog was brought in with a duigite bite and the cost for 1 vial of antivenom was $500 - we were using the combination brown/Tiger snake and it was $1000 a vial.

Rommi N Lewis your experience just about sums up what has been happening over the last 4 days - in the end she couldn't control her body temperature and this morning her organs started shutting down so the decision was immediately made to pts.

Its hard to describe the roller coaster ride we have been on over the last few days, this little girl was only 9 months of age - but had made a big impact on everybody. Its times like this that you really do find out who your friends are, these are the special people who go out of there way to be there when you need them, to send you a text message or email checking that you are OK, to offer you a bed if you need it, so to all of you - Thank you is just not enough......

Sounds like you were a great support and friend. Please let your friend no we are all thinking of her.

Sounds like you were a great support and friend. Please let your friend no we are all thinking of her.

Oh Ptomoly,

How sad - a tragedy. Please let 'your friend' know that I'm thinking of her. I remember that gorgeous puppy when she just arrived.

I also know how deeply not just puppy's mum will miss her, but also you will miss her too- you're family really :( !!

Take a moment and remember those good times, and know that you both did your absolute best for the Pup.

Anything I can do - just yell!

Di

The cost of the individual antivenoms are cheaper than the combined. It is helpful if you know what type of snake has bitten, but quite often Vets just carry the combined as it means thay can carry less AV as it is just too expensive to have go out of date.

I have seen a couple of dogs lose the ability to Thermoregulate, not sure the medical reason behind it????

I am very sorry for your friends loss and it is a situation I hope I never find myself in and one of my biggest fears. Having nursed so many (big snake area down here) over many years I have seen the miracles and the heartbreak.

Your friend has done the very best she can by her girl and hopefully she can find some small comfort in the fact she tried her hardest.

Hugs to you all from all of us.

The cost of the individual antivenoms are cheaper than the combined. It is helpful if you know what type of snake has bitten, but quite often Vets just carry the combined as it means thay can carry less AV as it is just too expensive to have go out of date.

I have seen a couple of dogs lose the ability to Thermoregulate, not sure the medical reason behind it????

I am very sorry for your friends loss and it is a situation I hope I never find myself in and one of my biggest fears. Having nursed so many (big snake area down here) over many years I have seen the miracles and the heartbreak.

Your friend has done the very best she can by her girl and hopefully she can find some small comfort in the fact she tried her hardest.

Hugs to you all from all of us.

:thumbsup: I am very sad that your friends little dog had to be pts, please pass on a big hug for me. another little darling crossing over the :thumbsup:

So sorry to hear about your friends young dog Ptolomy :thumbsup: RIP young dog. :thumbsup:

Snakes are something I'm really quite paranoid about, I had a close encounter with one when Darcy was about a similar age. It was between her and I and I was able to put enough pressure on it to leave while keeping her at bay.

I spent some time with a friend and her dog very recently, she was allowing the dog to run through thick bush and chase rabbits - I did start to wonder if I was being a little too paranoid but reading this thread has made me realise that I'm not.

Is it true tiger snakes chase you if you make them angry? At a family BBQ yesterday this guy was saying they are the one snake that will go out of it's way to get you and will chase an animal, human or whatever for ages :thumbsup:

They do have a reputation for being stroppy, but they aren't that bad. :thumbsup: I wouldn't corner one though.

Thanks everybody for your kind words - Zirius is a member of DOL - so I will direct her here in a few days.

I guess if we see a snake we can make an active choice to avoid it. In this case ithe dog was standing in shoulder height water and the only indication that there was a problem was that the dog wouldn't retrieve, wouldn't come and was snapping at the water.

Thanks everybody for your kind words - Zirius is a member of DOL - so I will direct her here in a few days.

I guess if we see a snake we can make an active choice to avoid it. In this case ithe dog was standing in shoulder height water and the only indication that there was a problem was that the dog wouldn't retrieve, wouldn't come and was snapping at the water.

That is one snake you couldn't avoid. They are proficient swimmers and do like the water. I have seen them having swims in the troughs on hot days.

If you corner a Tiger snake or actively persue it they will defend themselves and chase at you and strike. They do arc up more quickly than the browns, but most will only strike to defend a threat percieved by them. They can become terratorial and become stroppy and chase you.

What is interesting is the difference in the way Browns & Tigers bite & release venom.

Browns have longer fangs & venom is injected via the fangs under the skin. I am told that dogs are usually very vocal following a Brown bite, & this was so in my boy's case, although the snake was not seen. I would describe the noise he made as a roar or bellow.

Tigers on the other hand have short fangs & a sac of venom on the roof of their mouth. When they bite they make small pucture wounds & venom is squeezed out of the sac & oozes into the wounds. A local grazier (& we have a lot of snakes here in the Lake George area) told me dogs rarely make a sound when bitten by a Tiger.

I know a couple of people who have been bitten by Tigers - one kicked at his ankles because he thought a puppy was biting him when he was in actual fact standing on a small snake, the other drove for an hour & felt dizzy & didn't realise he had been bitten at all! Both were monitored in hospital & survived with no complications. However, many years ago another lady in our town was bitten by a Tiger on the foot, she was not so fortunate, the foot turning black & then having to be amputated.

I was also told a story by a former resident of Leeton...... About 50 years ago when this lady was a child she grew up on an orchard. The fruit pickers back then were mainly Italian migrants. So.... Giuseppe is out in the orchard picking fruit & is bitten by a snake - against all advice he refuses to go to hospital. After a lay down, Giuseppe is feeling fine, gets back to work & thinks all the fear of snakes is misplaced! Several weeks later, Giuseppe is bitten again. Once more he refuses treatment...... however this time he has been envenomated whereas on the previous occasion it was a dry bite (unbeknown to him). Unfortunately Giuseppe's luck ran out & he did not survive the second bite!

Oh goodness :o Again I'm so dreadfully sorry.