Final Toilet Stop For The Night = Extreme Yard Patrol

Shyla has this new habit she has established in the last few weeks where on her final toilet stop for the night (around midnight) when she realizes we are taking her out, she starts to bark and whine (like she has heard something) in anticipation, then she will BOLT out the door dangerously fast and run soo fast up and down the length of the yard for ages, looking at the fence tops and letting out watchdog barks, as well as not coming in for ages. It has now gotten to the stage where because she realizes we are going out and starts to watchdog bark in the lounge before even being OUTSIDE, it has me worried!

Is this unusual behavior? I'm worried she has a glitch in her brain or something!

We have tried taking her out on leash for the final toilet stop but she becomes even more riled up cos she is on leash and will get her hackles up and bark more than a few barks trying to scare god knows what away. We pop the leash and correct her and she goes to the toilet but is very antsy, until we bring her back in.

I don't like her doing this and figure the only way to stop it is to just take her out on leash, correct the behavior, once she pees praise and bring her straight back in. Is this better than just letting her do this weird barky patrol thing every midnight?

She NEVER acts like this during the day or morning, or even when it has just gotten dark, only on the final toilet stop (which is after she has been sleeping for a few hours like 9-11pm). After we bring her back in she's fine and even takes herself to bed (under our bed).

Just wondering if anyone elses dog does this, or if the trainers out there think that just keeping calm and taking her out on leash and straight back in is the best, or whether its good to let her 'patrol' (which is what she seems to do) or she's just expecting cats and possums out there cos they run along the fenceline a lot at night.

During daylight she doesn't patrol AT ALL (unless she hears something unusual) and doesn't exhibit any of these behaviors at all, and her barking is not excessive, neighbors say in the day she'll bark maybe twice total and otherwise she's quiet as a mouse.

Thanks!

Edited by ~ShelleAndShyla~

I leave my back door open when I'm at home - my dogs take themselves out as the need arises. They will only bark or patrol if there is actually something there, which I then go and investigate.

Maybe Shyla saw something on the fence top at some time and she's looking for it again? Possum, cat, owl, etc?

T.

Mica does this, she dosesnt bark during the day but after dark she is on patrol.

Everytime I open the door she bolts out straight up to the back corner and barks, then does a lap of the fence line. There are lots of animals out here at night so Im sure she is barking at that.

At one stage she wasnt coming back when called so she went on the long line. The first night she was distracted and wouldnt settle to pee, so she came back in for the night. After that she settle more. After a few nights she was fine. She still barks but will come in after she gets a bark out.

I dont see anything wrong with it, as far as I can see its quite normal as like I said there are heaps of animals out here at night. If she barks to much she come back inside.

weird barky patrol thing

She's a dog-. They are programmed to do such things. :rofl: Not at all weird.

maybe ,as a start you can make it a new rule that before she goes out ANY door- she sits and relaxes...

and do your OWN patrol before you take her out- make sure there is nothing there. Then, yes, correct her ..and do the toilet thing.

Really, does she need to go out at midnight? My indoor dogs have their last run around 9pm then into their crates till morning.

Oh yes, I hope you are in the middle of nowhere and don't have neighbors that hear her at midnight.

take her out on a leash and practice that she sits and settles before she goes outside. Sounds like it is the local critters exciting her

I agree.

We always call this the Last Toot Trip.....& often meet our neighbours out there taking their dogs for the LTT, too.

Around 10.30, the 2 tib girls would be sound asleep. I'd just have to say, 'Last Toot Trip, ladies!' And they'd leap up, stagger out, go to the toot...& rush back in to their comfy beds. Sound asleep again. Maybe it's a buddhist thing. :cry:

My Leia does this... drives me nuts! :cry:

I have been taking her over to the spots where she usually barks at night during the day time and giving her treats for sitting there quietly. Seems to be helping.

I also find that if I take her out on a lead she is much better. But mostly I am too lazy to do that. :cry:

Me Milo was doing this for a few days. He would bark at one corner of the yard when I in the yard.. I originally thought he was barking at my shadow (bbq light behind me) but later saw and found out that there was a small blue tongue lizard there and once the lil lizard moved on Milo stopped barking.

take her out on a leash and practice that she sits and settles before she goes outside. Sounds like it is the local critters exciting her

This sounds like a great approach to Shyla's night time worries Shelle. I was thinking Possums could be contributing culprits here.

The only time Bronte goes 'nuts' is when Lara my cat teases the little yapper next door, which isn't often. It goes bananas and Bronte flys out there to protect Lara (although there is already a sturdy fence doing this) and have her own mad minute. She generally settles when I tell her to stop and I shoo Lara away from the fence. This is a very delibrate act on behalf of my cat by the way.

It sounds like she knows something is out there. Kaylah does this too. And it takes AGES for her to come in as she has to patrol 30 acres first, go to the toilet, THEN come back inside.

So now she comes in at night around 7 or 8, depending on how barky she has been that night and doesn't go back out until the next morning.

Shyla has this new habit she has established in the last few weeks

Here is the key I believe. It has become a habit. To combat it you need to break up the behaviour.

Starting with acceptable behaviour prior to going outside.

Then managing her when she is outside, I would suggest a lead and going out to the front instead of the back, and reinforcing the "toilet" command obedience.

I'd guarantee there is a cat or two prowling along the top of the fence, or possoms, or both, she wouldn't be doing it for nothing.

With my dog, in the day I can let him out in the unfenced yard to toilet with no problems. But at night, all the night creatures out there, he just wants to get these "intruders", so I always make the night toilet break very brief and he is kept on the lead, and they both know there is no mucking around with me at that time.

I even say to them in a stern voice if they try anything on, "no mucking around" :cry: If that doesn't work, they go straight back inside.

Edited by Muttaburra

Shyla has this new habit she has established in the last few weeks where on her final toilet stop for the night (around midnight) when she realizes we are taking her out, she starts to bark and whine (like she has heard something) in anticipation, then she will BOLT out the door dangerously fast and run soo fast up and down the length of the yard for ages, looking at the fence tops and letting out watchdog barks, as well as not coming in for ages. It has now gotten to the stage where because she realizes we are going out and starts to watchdog bark in the lounge before even being OUTSIDE, it has me worried!

Is this unusual behavior? I'm worried she has a glitch in her brain or something!

We have tried taking her out on leash for the final toilet stop but she becomes even more riled up cos she is on leash and will get her hackles up and bark more than a few barks trying to scare god knows what away. We pop the leash and correct her and she goes to the toilet but is very antsy, until we bring her back in.

I don't like her doing this and figure the only way to stop it is to just take her out on leash, correct the behavior, once she pees praise and bring her straight back in. Is this better than just letting her do this weird barky patrol thing every midnight?

She NEVER acts like this during the day or morning, or even when it has just gotten dark, only on the final toilet stop (which is after she has been sleeping for a few hours like 9-11pm). After we bring her back in she's fine and even takes herself to bed (under our bed).

Just wondering if anyone elses dog does this, or if the trainers out there think that just keeping calm and taking her out on leash and straight back in is the best, or whether its good to let her 'patrol' (which is what she seems to do) or she's just expecting cats and possums out there cos they run along the fenceline a lot at night.

During daylight she doesn't patrol AT ALL (unless she hears something unusual) and doesn't exhibit any of these behaviors at all, and her barking is not excessive, neighbors say in the day she'll bark maybe twice total and otherwise she's quiet as a mouse.

Thanks!

I have a similar problem with my two. I just put them on lead and walk them up and down the street.

Xena has settled down and doesn't patrol unless she hears anything. CK patrols constantly if I let him out so I'm working on it. Tennis balls are worth more than possums in his little world. I take him out at prime possum time and get him to work. I've only just begun this week, but the next step will be to decrease the value of the reward slowly until he will work without reinforcement in the presence of small furries.

The most likely offender in a suburban area is rats-- my pest controller says you are never more than 4 metres from a rat. (and I live in a good middle class suburb) I have seen them running along the horizontal supports of paling fences at night-- sometimes if I am our without the dog, the rats will even turn and smile at me! I have animal and bird proof baiting stations around the house, but it's an uphill battle if no-one else in the area tries to keep the rats down -- most of my neighbouts have no idea how prevalent rats are. So it's hardly a surprise when my GSP races round the boundaries at night (mostly quietly) to scare them away, before her toilet activities. I always take food treats with me, and use a toilet command (HUURY UP); then a really good treat follows, so often I can divert her from the rat patrol.

Really, does she need to go out at midnight? My indoor dogs have their last run around 9pm then into their crates till morning.

Oh yes, I hope you are in the middle of nowhere and don't have neighbors that hear her at midnight.

Nope right in suburbia, but she only lets out 4 or 5 single barks max so the barking isn't the issue, its more her INTENSE patrolling persona she puts on lol.

Ya know I never really thought about it, we go to bed that late so I take her out last thing, I wonder if taking her at 9.30pm *she goes then too minus the nuts behavior* would be adequate?? I'm going to try tonight, skipping the midnight one :D

The most likely offender in a suburban area is rats-- my pest controller says you are never more than 4 metres from a rat. (and I live in a good middle class suburb) I have seen them running along the horizontal supports of paling fences at night-- sometimes if I am our without the dog, the rats will even turn and smile at me! I have animal and bird proof baiting stations around the house, but it's an uphill battle if no-one else in the area tries to keep the rats down -- most of my neighbouts have no idea how prevalent rats are. So it's hardly a surprise when my GSP races round the boundaries at night (mostly quietly) to scare them away, before her toilet activities. I always take food treats with me, and use a toilet command (HUURY UP); then a really good treat follows, so often I can divert her from the rat patrol.

How weird!!!!! It's definitely something cos I watched her closely last night and she full on RUNS around the perimeter like 5 times looking up at the fencelines and trees and rearing up to look up there... definitely critters that have irked her