Cartrophen Injections

mutt lover

If any vet nurses here would like some advice re cartrophen injections, My old girl Lady had the course of cartrophen last winter, and when I had her at vet recently for check up said that instead of every 3 months that I could get injection every month. The injections have helped her but am wondering if every month seems a bit much.

you can use it monthly, it is a very safe drug :thumbsup: I did it with Diesel but he was one of the ones that it didnt work on !

Ok thanks for that, and sorry to hear it didn't work on Diesel, I had a dog years ago that it didn't work on also.

Hooley is starting his course on Wednesday. He will go to the vet and have the first injection then I will bring home 3 syringes to give him 1 a week for the next 3 weeks then as he needs. Hopefully no more than about 3 monthly.

I have (well the vets have) used it on my past dogs, wonderful stuff !!! ( I vaguely remember them having one a month for 3 months? then a big break before another lot)

Just wish there was a human version of it !!!! :thumbsup:

Obviously if using long term, it doesn't work as effectively I found (depending on each situation of course) ..

At the moment we give Chloe a shot per week for 4 weeks in succession. That usually sees her poor old legs through most of the year.

Does anyone find that their dogs arthritis or joint issues plays up more in the hotter weather? We are starting to notice that Chloe is pretty good through winter, but as summer gets cranking she gets very stiff and unsteady on her legs (off and on) - and seems to have been that way for the last few years. So we generally have to give her the Cartrophen course late Spring/early Summer as that seems to be when she gets worse :thumbsup:

Henrietta (20 month old Lab with multiple joint issues) has monthly cartrophen injections. I have found she will become a bit sore and stiff if she does not receive a monthly shot

My old girl Meg was on monthly or three week injections dependant on her symptoms. It work really well and gave her a much better quality of life. We also added sashas blend to her food as well as some oil (can't remember the name of it). She was about to start on fortnightly injections but sadly didn't need to.

BTW...on her last vet visit, which I walked her to, the vet gave her a really through exam of her back as she had become abit more 'stumbly'. After that she pretty well collapsed completely and by the next day she was having trouble with all four legs instead of the back two. While I understand the reason for it, I often wonder whether the spinal manipulation exam was abit too much or maybe just a co-incidence?

At the moment we give Chloe a shot per week for 4 weeks in succession. That usually sees her poor old legs through most of the year.

Does anyone find that their dogs arthritis or joint issues plays up more in the hotter weather? We are starting to notice that Chloe is pretty good through winter, but as summer gets cranking she gets very stiff and unsteady on her legs (off and on) - and seems to have been that way for the last few years. So we generally have to give her the Cartrophen course late Spring/early Summer as that seems to be when she gets worse :confused:

Years ago I had an old shepherd who's arthritis always played up in summer I put it down to him laying on the concrete more to keep cool and he seemed to be more active as well so this probably agrivated his joints even more.

Does anyone find that their dogs arthritis or joint issues plays up more in the hotter weather? We are starting to notice that Chloe is pretty good through winter, but as summer gets cranking she gets very stiff and unsteady on her legs (off and on) - and seems to have been that way for the last few years. So we generally have to give her the Cartrophen course late Spring/early Summer as that seems to be when she gets worse :confused:

Years ago I had an old shepherd who's arthritis always played up in summer I put it down to him laying on the concrete more to keep cool and he seemed to be more active as well so this probably agrivated his joints even more.

Also remember the air con if there inside

I have had my 9 year old sheltie Bailey (extreme Arthritis case) on Cartrophen for a while. First he started with the weekly course for 4 weeks and that lasted for about 6 months when he then needed to be started again. Due to a deterioration in his condition ( he has zero cartiledge) he is now on Catrophen once a month. When we last went for his monthly injection the vet has changed him to a monthly tablet instead ( so we will wait and see if it works as well as the injection). We use the cartrophen in conjunction with daily pain meds and Glyde powder. So far we are very pleased with this treatment as this dog was days away from being put to sleep as I could not bear to see him in pain anymore.

TB

Atlas had his 4 shots a few weeks ago, did ok for a while, but I have noticed the last few days he is limping again (he is only 6 :confused: )

going in to vaccinate Sumo on monday, so will talk to her about a treatment plan for him - if he needs it every few weeks, i dont mind - it made such a difference!

appollo my 9 year old dally had them, i have to say i didn't really see any difference :confused: he has djd in hip and knee at back.

however he has been on jointguard for just over 4 weeks, building it up atm, and i can definatley see an improvement in the last week or so. :laugh:

i was told by someone her vet recommended the human joint supplement though, osteoease sport?