Bed Question

JulesP

For those of you with multiple dogs - do you have a bed per dog?

I currently have 3 dogs and 3 beds, plus a kennel. It is fairly rare for all 3 dogs to be on the beds. Trying to work out if I need bed number 4 for new puppy.

Has anyone found a good outside bed for a dog with dodgy legs/arthritis? Old dog struggles to get into the trampoline bed sometimes, well the getting out is more the issue.

Old dog seems to have trouble getting her balance on squishy beds. She chooses to sleep on the carpet inside now as she struggles on the nice bed to get up. Am a bit worried on having a non-squishy bed down on the concrete though. Worried the cold might seep up.

We had the same problem with Chloe - she had a bed that to enter and exit had higher sides and was proving too much for her (before her cruciate surgeries). We bought her this bed:

http://www.dod.com.au/view_products.asp?px...s=11&id=327

It has soft sides, but she can still snuggle into the higher sides in colder months. Now that she has arthritis, she finds it much easier to get in and out of. You can also add a heavy blanket on the top of the cushion to make it less 'squishy' and more stable to get up and out of.

She loves her bed :mad

Alternatively, you can make your own bed with a few layers of blankets piled on top of each other so it's comfy and a sheet or something furry that they can burrow into tucked around the outside to keep it all together (Chloe has two of these too :( ). She has a bed in all convenient locations so she can decide where she wants to nap LOL.

Edited by Kelly_Louise

We HAD 3 beds in the living room (3 dogs), plus an open crate as well as the couches :) I say had 3 because Miss Nessa decided to get revenge after her bath yesterday and when no one was looking and she was in the playpen drying off, she destroyed Caber's big cushion :thumbsup: (All the beds are big enough for either the Borders or the Collie, except the crate which is BT sized).

I like having a bed for each dog, but it doesn't matter if they bed-hop...

For an old wonky legged dog? We use home made ones- a bean bag outer or chaff bag, filled with raw wool :) VERY comfortable- no risk of fleas...warm in winter.. and gives support ...

Do Snooza make a wool -filled one?

Yes Snooza makes wool doona mats for the dogs,. ANd you can buy spare covers for them too..

Ummm... my dogs sleep on MY bed... I got one that fits us all - and room to fit a couple more... *grin*

My older girl can get a little stiff in winter if she's been playing with the foster pups, so I put an old hard suitcase next to the bed to use as a step for her...

T.

JulesP:

Go down to clark rubber and get their 6cm recycled rubber matting. I think it is in a 1.5 or 1.8 width though. I put that in the kennels and it seems to stop the cold rising from the floor. Then you may put what ever bedding you wish on top. If she likes carpet, have you tried getting a carpet mat and moving that around for a bed? Also maybe a piece of dense foam, similar to what you put in the bottom of swags etc.

It is similar stuff to what you put on the floor of horse-floats if that makes sense.

My dogs all sleep in my room at night. (3 plus a foster).

They have a big dog cuishon each on the floor. They all know which is their spot and pretty much stick to them.

The only one that moves around is the foster dog and he still tries to creep up on my bed at about 5am each morn.

I made a dog bed out of a foam mattress. It is a 4 inch thick one, nice and firm and quite easy for the dogs to walk on. I cut it to size (Fits both) then made a cover out of polar fleece.

I think it would be firm enough for her to be able to get on and off okay and also keep out any cold.

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

We have multiple beds for each dog :dummy:

Outside there are 2 mats and 3 trampoline beds. Inside there are 2 cheap brand dog beds in the lounge room and a snooza blanket bed (Oscar loves to be convered). In our bedroom Oscar has a small bed (though he invariably sneaks into ours) and there is a huge bed on the floor for whichever of the other 2 decides to sleep there (usually Lilly). Plus another small dog bed for Oscar and 2 seater couch exclusively for the dogs in the study (were the other grey will sleep).

We also cover the couches and the dogs are allowed to use them too.

For those of you with multiple dogs - do you have a bed per dog?

I currently have 3 dogs and 3 beds, plus a kennel. It is fairly rare for all 3 dogs to be on the beds. Trying to work out if I need bed number 4 for new puppy.

Has anyone found a good outside bed for a dog with dodgy legs/arthritis? Old dog struggles to get into the trampoline bed sometimes, well the getting out is more the issue.

We also have multiple beds for our 4 dogs. We have outside beds, crates in our room for bed time and 3 Snooza large pet pouffes--one in lounge, others in computer room/study.

Re the old dog question, I was wondering whether that memory foam was any good since one of mine is also getting older. Deals Direct has had some relatively cheap versions. Anyone know?

Di