Disposable Dog (need To Vent)

mish13

Yesterday my next door neighbour had a new kitchen installed, the tradesman doing the job brought his two dogs along. Not sure of the second breed but one was a two year old female Maremma.

Well it turns out he his going to get rid of the Maremma, WHY you ask is because it drops to much hair. His wife had brought her in a PET shop and did not know anything about the breed. She just wanted a cute white fluffy puppy and now the dog is a large white fluffy dog she is no longer wanted.

Another impulse buy without any research, makes me so mad.

Edited by mish13

I just dont understand people. It really saddens and baffles me how people can treat members of their family with such disregard.

we have two normal, naughty, over energetic, loveable pups. there have been some frustrating, almost black times (me standing in the kitchen at 3am screaming 'stop biting my clothes! springs to mind- this was before obedience training). our doorways have been chewed. i have lost 3 sheet sets. our clothes line has been broken. my floors are muddy 5 minutes after i spend 2 hours vacumming and mopping them. we cant afford a holiday as one of the dogs needed surgery.

never, for one moment, have i ever contemplated giving either of them up. not for one millisecond. i would be lost without them.

i'm not a saint, just an animal lover that honours the commitment one makes when they CHOOSE to take an animal into their family.

So SAD!!! Lets just hope she finds a great and loving home who love her!!!

Another pet shop story - I walked past one today in our local shopping centre today and the add was...

"Staffy/Bull Terrier x Maltese.... Yep you read right :heart: "

That's literally what the add said, I just had to walk away.....

ETA as in they had the smiley face in the add as well.....

Edited by Beth86

I just dont understand people. It really saddens and baffles me how people can treat members of their family with such disregard.

we have two normal, naughty, over energetic, loveable pups. there have been some frustrating, almost black times (me standing in the kitchen at 3am screaming 'stop biting my clothes! springs to mind- this was before obedience training). our doorways have been chewed. i have lost 3 sheet sets. our clothes line has been broken. my floors are muddy 5 minutes after i spend 2 hours vacumming and mopping them. we cant afford a holiday as one of the dogs needed surgery.

never, for one moment, have i ever contemplated giving either of them up. not for one millisecond. i would be lost without them.

i'm not a saint, just an animal lover that honours the commitment one makes when they CHOOSE to take an animal into their family.

Very well said

not trying to be soppy here, but after just watching my two 'mental heads' having the time of their lives doing zoomies chasing each other around the yard whilst OH tried to fix the trailer makes my heart smile and makes me forget the fact that i need to wipe down my hall walls because sally decided to zoom up them after playing in the wading pool :laugh:

and what were they chasing each other for? a piece of cardboard :heart: who could give that silliness up?

Very familiar story - gorgeous fluffy white puppy, he/she's just "so kyooot" - then they grow up (& up & out & then up some more) & start to behave like a Maremma - OMG it barks (& barks & digs & barks some more) & the neighbours are complaining & that beautiful white hair covers every available surface - & the pet shop said they "were just like a Golden Retriever only white"................... :heart:

One of my rescues has a similar story - he was cute & adorable & then he matured into what he was always going to be - a large, hairy & very dedicated (read loud & vocal) magnificent Maremma - he was never going to be a dog that would suit unit (with a small courtyard) living but when he failed to meet expectations, he was passed on. He's now a complete foster failure - it took him so long to settle & he has bonded with us so completely, that I couldn't possibly rehome him (besides, I love him to death :laugh: )

This is a huge problem in this breed because the puppies are so adorable.Everything they do with their body language as babies is designed to make you love them and there are few breeds which look more appealing as babies.

Makes me crazy because they are a breed which wouldnt cope well with a pound and changing homes.

not trying to be soppy here, but after just watching my two 'mental heads' having the time of their lives doing zoomies chasing each other around the yard whilst OH tried to fix the trailer makes my heart smile and makes me forget the fact that i need to wipe down my hall walls because sally decided to zoom up them after playing in the wading pool :D

and what were they chasing each other for? a piece of cardboard :p who could give that silliness up?

I agree with all of that.. I love watching mmy crazy dogs do zoomies in the morning, over nothing. :)

One of my rescues has a similar story - he was cute & adorable & then he matured into what he was always going to be - a large, hairy & very dedicated (read loud & vocal) magnificent Maremma - he was never going to be a dog that would suit unit (with a small courtyard) living but when he failed to meet expectations, he was passed on. He's now a complete foster failure - it took him so long to settle & he has bonded with us so completely, that I couldn't possibly rehome him (besides, I love him to death :mad )

I've got my own foster failure too. :rofl: A gorgeous 10 month old GSP, the old owners live in Clayton! In a 3 bedroom house, with 3 children. :eek: When they dropped this boy off, we spent some time talking about him... Well, as soon as they saw my backyard they said it was huge... ;) Its an average sized yard... And I already have two other Pointers in it. :rofl: Beats me what their yard looked like... Not to meantion, the father/husband was getting dragged everywhere by this dog...

I love this dog to death, he is an angel here. :rofl:

They bought from a breeder, but I don't think they did their research... Yes, he did come from a breeder, they gave me his pedigree papers. :o

This is a huge problem in this breed because the puppies are so adorable.Everything they do with their body language as babies is designed to make you love them and there are few breeds which look more appealing as babies.

Makes me crazy because they are a breed which wouldnt cope well with a pound and changing homes.

You are so right - they are such unfairly gorgeous babies :p - & as adults they don't cope well with changing homes or being in a pound. Nor do pounds cope well with them - 2 we tried to get out were PTS for "poor temperament" as their smiling was completely misinterpreted :o

Another fine example of why pet shops are SO BAD.

Maremmas, malamutes, huskies, sharpeis, staffies even, are examples of dogs that require certain homes but are sold in petshops as cutesy puppies to clueless people too stupid to go and research just what they are buying.

The same goes for people obtaining mongrels from pet shops and thinking they've got something special because it must be a designer dog - they paid a lot of money for it, after all. Then they discover that said designer dog has traits that aren't what they wanted because some moron on a puppy farm thought it a great idea to crossbreed a Papillon with a Jack Russell .... and the puppy turns out to be all JRT (I have a foster dog like this and it's hard to rehome).

Anyhow, I'm posting because I don't know if you can track down this tradesperson and tell them that there is a "Maremma Rescue" in NSW and that really is the best place for his poor dog to go so that the dog can be appropriately placed by someone who knows what they are doing.

Another fine example of why pet shops are SO BAD.

Maremmas, malamutes, huskies, sharpeis, staffies even, are examples of dogs that require certain homes but are sold in petshops as cutesy puppies to clueless people too stupid to go and research just what they are buying.

The same goes for people obtaining mongrels from pet shops and thinking they've got something special because it must be a designer dog - they paid a lot of money for it, after all. Then they discover that said designer dog has traits that aren't what they wanted because some moron on a puppy farm thought it a great idea to crossbreed a Papillon with a Jack Russell .... and the puppy turns out to be all JRT (I have a foster dog like this and it's hard to rehome).

Anyhow, I'm posting because I don't know if you can track down this tradesperson and tell them that there is a "Maremma Rescue" in NSW and that really is the best place for his poor dog to go so that the dog can be appropriately placed by someone who knows what they are doing.

I will pass on this information on to my neighbour so she can give him a call, do you have any contact info for the Maremma rescue?

There were puppies in a local pet shop a couple of months ago Maremma cros cattle dog.

They looked more like Maremmas than cattle dogs - you can bet your life when they get into trouble it will be Maremma cross and impact on the breed reputation.

Bastards.

I am always amazed when people who buy fluffy dogs are surprised when they shed. Granted I was surprised by the sheer amount my husky shed but not by the fact that he sheds at all, anyone whose ever had anything to do with dogs should be aware that most dogs shed hair and logic would suggest the larger and fluffier the dog the more hair to shed.

Someone tied up an adult Maremma outside our supermarket and whacked a Husher muzzle on it. Dog was NOT happy and trying to bark for its owner. Some woman walked up, cuddled the dog and took the muzzle off to which the dog then upped it's barking and began stressing.

When will people get a clue. I was so mad I wanted to wait for the owner and give them an earful

Someone tied up an adult Maremma outside our supermarket and whacked a Husher muzzle on it. Dog was NOT happy and trying to bark for its owner. Some woman walked up, cuddled the dog and took the muzzle off to which the dog then upped it's barking and began stressing.

When will people get a clue. I was so mad I wanted to wait for the owner and give them an earful

Sorry but what's a Husher Muzzle? :)