Bad Hair Day(s)

mrs tornsocks

I am having a really frustrating time atm with my obsession over the amount of hair left all over our house.

Our lab is constantly reminding us of his presence and it's really getting me frustrated. I'm not a clean freak but I do like to have the floors looking okay -- and I seem to sweep up only to have it return in less than a day.

I love Archie to bits; and I don't really want to change where he's allowed in the house (ie everywhere) -- but I hate that I'll spy a little pile of hair and it irritates me so much. And I also don't want visitors to think I never clean !

I have the electro magnetic broom, I have the furminator, I have the dust buster.

For some reason this really gets me upset and frustrated - I don't think there's any easy answer, maybe just empathy ???? :D

ETA: Do more baths help with this problem ? We don't bath him heaps, only really if he's on the nose. Alway rinse him after beach and water play.

Edited by mrs tornsocks

Hmm I can relate.

With a lab and a poodleXmutt who sheds constantly, we always seem to have little black tumbleweeds appearing about the place.

We were on hols for a week last week and the house was spotless when we left. Or so I thought. But somehow when we got back there were new hair balls floating around the timber floors. I can only assume that they are breeding!

Don't know that there is too much you can do apart from what you are already doing.

A good bath and then a blow dry with a force dryer will help to loosen up and get rid of more coat in one go.

My house always has dust bunnies and it doesn't matter how many times I clean up after the dogs. You just have to learn not to owrry about what other people think of your house. I reckon that those of us with dogs, probably clean more often than those who don't.

My Lab is a shocker for hair loss, I groom him often and it dosn't seem to help.

I am cleaning up after him more then the Samoyeds and thats saying something and I have three in the house at the moment :D

Edited by Wolfsong

Our floors are always covered in black hair - then our quaker parrot has feathers and seed everywhere too.

I vaccum every 2nd day, sometimes every day, and sweep twice a day.

I can't relax if im sat on the lounge watching dog hair fly past.

Our lab sheds like crazy too, I use one of those brooms twice a day and dust bust around her bed every other day.

Still seemed to be hair everywhere you can walk behind her and sweep!

I was going to get one of those remote vacs a few years ago ( but bad press turned me against it, Choice or tv show can't recall where i seen story ) It wasn't the brand mentioned thou!

Would love to hear if anyone else has them.

Although couldn't be on when Buster was around, he'd be trying to round it up.

I recon the only solution is decking, its great the hair just falls through the cracks, don't think it would work inside thou! :D

I the Roombas - I want too, and I want to 'personalise' it so it looks like a Pokemon or something ;)

I console myself with this thought pattern:

Clean house does reflect a clean mind (or is that tidy house/tidy mind :D ) so being stressed by less than immaculate surroundings - well, that MUST be good, right? :D

And then - there is a bit of status attached immaculate houses. It used to denote hordes of servants, scuttling around the back corridors of your mansion, getting up at five in the morning to clean the grates sort of thing.

We still have a bit of that snobbery inbuilt in us... I am SURE many generations back some of my unfortunate ancestors lived on slave wages, living miserable lives working their fingers to bone to maintain the gentry.

Just chill out, and remind yourself - if it irks you, that is a good indicator you still have a tidy mind. :)

But don't stress the dust bunnies, make yourself stick to a schedule of cleaning up after them once a day, then only only every two days - when you notice them other than that, just make a mental note where they are for 'ron (later on).

:mad

As an experiment, when mum took her smooth Collie away for 4 days over Christmas, I vacuumed every day. With just my 2 Border Terriers in the house, I didn't even fill up half the Dyson :laugh:

The Collie comes home and a day later I vacuum again and yep, it's full :D

My Lab is a shocker for hair loss, I groom him often and it dosn't seem to help.

I am cleaning up after him more then the Samoyeds and thats saying something and I have three in the house at the moment :laugh:

None of my Border Collies has ever shed as much as the Labrador, we had did.

The long coats shed for several weeks twice a year, in clumps that are easier to pick up.

Labradors shed 365 days a year one hair at a time and it works it's way into everything.

If you are going to own a Lab you just have to get used to living with dog hair.

I have to confess, when a dog hair tumbleweed floats past me while I'm on the lounge, I can't help but hum a "old western stand off" tune in my head, makes the neat freak in me calm down.

Our floors are always covered in black hair - then our quaker parrot has feathers and seed everywhere too.

I vaccum every 2nd day, sometimes every day, and sweep twice a day.

OMG that is exactly that - I 'm usually a chilled person but it's starting to turn me into a bit of a compulsive.

I am having a really frustrating time atm with my obsession over the amount of hair left all over our house.

Our lab is constantly reminding us of his presence and it's really getting me frustrated. I'm not a clean freak but I do like to have the floors looking okay -- and I seem to sweep up only to have it return in less than a day.

I love Archie to bits; and I don't really want to change where he's allowed in the house (ie everywhere) -- but I hate that I'll spy a little pile of hair and it irritates me so much. And I also don't want visitors to think I never clean !

I have the electro magnetic broom, I have the furminator, I have the dust buster.

For some reason this really gets me upset and frustrated - I don't think there's any easy answer, maybe just empathy ???? :)

ETA: Do more baths help with this problem ? We don't bath him heaps, only really if he's on the nose. Alway rinse him after beach and water play.

Know your frustration! I can see yellow hairs all over my jarrah floorboards 5 seconds after I sweep it! The chocolate hairs are there in probably larger numbers, but can't see those :laugh:

I bathed the girls yesterday, and that just loosened up more hair! :mad Maybe a good dryer will help, but a) I feel silly buying a dryer for a Lab and b) no way Millie would let me near her with it!! :D

If you are going to own a Lab you just have to get used to living with dog hair.

Amen. Dog hair is a part of my life now - on my floors, on my clothes, in my car, in my food :laugh: Couldn't imagine life without it and I wouldn't have it any other way! (but that doesn't mean I enjoy sweeping 100 times a day :mad)