Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its a hard one, some people say use a NRM and some people say dont, like this morning for instance Mason worked very well and I did not have to use a NRM, his heeling was really really good he was energetic and enthusiastic and he did everything else well too. Then there are some days when he is just SO not paying attention, like a kid with ADHD, when he gets like that all he wants to do is sniff the floor.

I am trying now 2 change my training tactics a bit with him, trying to make everything into one big fun game because thats when he works his best! :laugh: Last night I taught a new trick and a new game and he loved it, I was sending him between his crate and a chair he lays on in the dining room and he was so excited and happy to play this :cheer:

Try and get a reward in his face before he disengages. Start off with 2 steps...full attention...mark (I use a clicker) and reward. You can use food or toy so long as you mark it before producing the reward. Mix it up.

My goal for the next puppy will be error-less learning with minimal to no NRM's.

So for now I just feed and reward with tug his attention while heeling. When he sort of 'tunes' out, do I just leave him to go and do his own thing or do I just quickly ask him to do something else, say for eg we are heeling he tunes out, do I maybe then call him and ask him for a drop or some spins etc?
Non Reward Marker. Your 'too bad' or 'oops' or 'bad luck' are all NRM's
What is a NRM?
How many steps can he do with full attention before he drops out? That is your mean. Build from there and yo yo for a bit to see how he copes. Only start on duration when you know he can hold focus and understands heel position. I wouldn't even use a NRM at this early stage...just realise he's not there yet and work on attention.
I then stand still and tell him ' too bad' then he knows he has done something wrong, he usually then returns and sits in front of me until we start training something else, sometimes it doesnt work though and he carries on sniffing the floor, I then go up to him, give him a little poke and try and get him to look at me again.

When is your next special group training lesson???

Not sure actually..... look Mason is not as bad as he was and he heels way better now than he did, I just need to work out how long I should be asking him to heel for etc..

It's Cider's birthday today - hard to believe that the little bundle of fluff who chewed my garden hose into 1 inch pieces, would dig holes the size of craters and who could scream the place down where i dare take one of the other kids out training and not her, has actually made it to 1 - Happy Birthday Cider Bear :laugh:

and what did she get - a pigs trotter and a new i-squeak :laugh:

Awwwww happy birthday Cider! :cheer: Gee time flies doesn't it!

Hard to believe she was this little and fluffy!

IMG_2259.jpg

I use NRM's for Cider, but I can't for Scoota.

What does Scoota do when you use a NRM on him?

And happy birthday Cider!!! :laugh: Where did your little fluffball bum go?! Who cares, cos you've gone from a cute fluffy puppy to a very pretty young lady who Aunty RS wants to put in her bag and take home!!!! :cheer:

WA folk, does anyone know if the next Canine News is due out soon? I wanna know what upcoming trials I can enter ;)

I was wondering this the other day and had a look -the last one arrived on the 28th April, so it should be here in the next few days I would imagine.

WA folk, does anyone know if the next Canine News is due out soon? I wanna know what upcoming trials I can enter :D

I was wondering this the other day and had a look -the last one arrived on the 28th April, so it should be here in the next few days I would imagine.

The photo on the front cover wont be as good ;)

It's Cider's birthday today - hard to believe that the little bundle of fluff who chewed my garden hose into 1 inch pieces, would dig holes the size of craters and who could scream the place down where i dare take one of the other kids out training and not her, has actually made it to 1 - Happy Birthday Cider Bear ;)

and what did she get - a pigs trotter and a new i-squeak :D

Awwwww happy birthday Cider! ;) Gee time flies doesn't it!

Hard to believe she was this little and fluffy!

IMG_2259.jpg

I thinks she pulled off the fluffy look really well, what a cute pup!

Edited by Mas1981

Ptolomy, just out of interest, would you say that Tollers exercise and training requirements are higher than that of Vizslas?

Hmm although a Vizsla is on my wish list I really have to be honest and say that I don't really know their exercise requirements. being a gun dog, I would guess they would be similar. I find with tollers - while yes they do need exercise every day - they also need mental stimulation.

Ptolomy, just out of interest, would you say that Tollers exercise and training requirements are higher than that of Vizslas?

Hmm although a Vizsla is on my wish list I really have to be honest and say that I don't really know their exercise requirements. being a gun dog, I would guess they would be similar. I find with tollers - while yes they do need exercise every day - they also need mental stimulation.

Mason has a Vizsla buddy across the road, even my energetic lab cannot keep up with him, he is very very active, he is also one of the best trained dogs I have ever seen, not obedience wise or anything but he really really listens to his owner off lead. I think he is really smart too.

To answer your question Ptolomy - I aim for about 1.5 to 2 minutes of duration heelwork... Duration heelwork practice was one of the best things I ever did for Jedi.

So I guess the next question is - how often do you do duration heelwork and do you do anything else at that training session?

For me its 3 times a week and NO duration is all I do.