Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

I'll watch your video soon, LuvLottie! :)

huski, or anybody else who knows, what is this?

2011 State & National Obedience Trials

Featuring The Inaugural Interstate Obedience Challenge

June 25th & 26th 2011

No idea :D Sounds interesting though! :rofl:

Looks like a teams event! I know who will be in the WA team..!! and no, it's not me :laugh:

RULES FOR THE CONDUCT OF AN

INTERSTATE OBEDIENCE CHALLENGE

AT NATIONAL OBEDIENCE TRIALS

1) The competition will be a Teams event.

2) The current, at the time of the event, Rules for the Conduct of Obedience Trials are to be applied.

3) The Challenge will be conducted in three Classes. Those Classes are Utility Dog Excellent (UDX) Utility Dog (UD) and Companion Dog Excellent (CDX).

4) A State Representative Team may be entered in an individual Class or in the Classes as chosen. It is not mandatory for a State to enter a Team in each of the eligible Classes.

5) Each Team is to consist of three dogs or bitches with separate Handlers.

6) The same Teams and/or individual Dogs or Handlers cannot compete in more than one Class.

7) Placings will be allocated and identified by the aggregate of the points scored by the Dogs and Handlers in each Team. Highest Aggregate First Placing etc. Where the aggregate scores between teams are tied then the general Rules for count-back will be applied

8) As it is not mandatory for a State to enter a Team in each Class the State represented by the winning team (highest aggregate) will be that Class Challenge Winner,

How fun would that be. So the WA team would be bedazzled, Ptolomy and ?

I think it sounds awesome! I hope that I get to be in one of the QLD teams :cry:

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not feeling very motivated to train at the moment :eek: . I'm loving our long walks and just enjoying the dogs as great pets. It's too cold to :p .

Sometimes I wish I was just content in enjoying them as just pets and not worry about training, cos then I'd have no hesistation in looking to expand my fur family :D But I'm afraid I'm just far too addicted to this whole training thing, so 3rd dog comes when I'm in a training position to do so :(

I'm seriously considering giving up training(well with competition in mind anyway) because I've never had the motivation for it that you guys do and my dogs have a happy life with our long walks and cuddles on the lounge :D . I do enjoy training but more for the fun of it than training for competition. This week I've started asking the dogs for a hand touch when I recall them when they're having an off lead run it's like tag then off you go again, they love it ;) .

Tiggy I don't compete much. I train to a high standard but really hate competing so I avoid it as much as possible. Did the same with the horses too.

I took Amber pup into our advanced class today for a whirl around. I was sooo pleased with her. Love her attitude.

The only interesting issue I am having is she likes to heel wide so she can see my face. I don't really want to fuss with her too much as the focus is lovely. Any ideas? She comes back in close when I ask but pops straight back out again.

The only interesting issue I am having is she likes to heel wide so she can see my face. I don't really want to fuss with her too much as the focus is lovely. Any ideas? She comes back in close when I ask but pops straight back out again.

Is there any chance that you are walking into her that perhaps is causing her to not come in close?

No don't think so Ptolomy. She sort of bends to look at my face. Lucky she is out wide actually or I would be falling over!

Do you have any rewards in your right hand??

Maybe you need to reward her heavily from left hand while she is in a static position and then reward for a few steps at a time??

Can you heel in a tight left circle?

Tiggy, you got me thinking; I train to a fairly high standard (compared to the average dog owner), and I often wonder WHY I put myself through so much stress. Yes it would be great to get some titles, but why? What am I trying to prove? and to who? I suppose at the end of the day I find the more I train, the more problems and difficulties I come across, and when I fix them I find my bond with the dogs to become even more intense, which is very gratifying.

But what makes everyone train and compete at a competitive level? what gives you the fire in your belly? I'd love to know.

I could be reading it wrong but it looks like you need to have a CDX, UD and UDX dog in order to make up a team of three dogs. The UDX will proclude some states forming a team as there are not too many and none in some states. It also leaves a very small pool of people who are also willing to travel. I'm wondering why Novice is not included? Any ideas?

I'll watch your video soon, LuvLottie! :D

June 25th & 26th 2011

No idea :( Sounds interesting though! ;)

Looks like a teams event! I know who will be in the WA team..!! and no, it's not me :eek:

2) The current, at the time of the event, Rules for the Conduct of Obedience Trials are to be applied.

3) The Challenge will be conducted in three Classes. Those Classes are Utility Dog Excellent (UDX) Utility Dog (UD) and Companion Dog Excellent (CDX).

4) A State Representative Team may be entered in an individual Class or in the Classes as chosen. It is not mandatory for a State to enter a Team in each of the eligible Classes.

6) The same Teams and/or individual Dogs or Handlers cannot compete in more than one Class.

7) Placings will be allocated and identified by the aggregate of the points scored by the Dogs and Handlers in each Team. Highest Aggregate First Placing etc. Where the aggregate scores between teams are tied then the general Rules for count-back will be applied

8) As it is not mandatory for a State to enter a Team in each Class the State represented by the winning team (highest aggregate) will be that Class Challenge Winner,

I think it sounds awesome! I hope that I get to be in one of the QLD teams :D

No don't think so Ptolomy. She sort of bends to look at my face. Lucky she is out wide actually or I would be falling over!

Maybe you need to reward her heavily from left hand while she is in a static position and then reward for a few steps at a time??

No treats in the right hand. Treats are in the left hand. Tried having them in my mouth, but I am a vego so that was a tad unpleasant! The things we do!

Haven't done any tight circles as she is a pup. she did do a quite nice figure of 8 today in class though.

But what makes everyone train and compete at a competitive level? what gives you the fire in your belly? I'd love to know.

Initially it was because I had lots of people tell me I was wasting my time/it couldn't be done/ask why would I want to do obedience with that dog etc.

But then I found that training has given my dog and me an awesome bond that wasn't there before, as corny as it sounds, sometimes watching her work brings tears to my eyes ;) as it was so difficult and at times I never thought I'd get there, but to see how happy she is to work and how much she enjoys it is the best feeling ever.

I also love taking her out and seeing people change their perception of what the breed is capable of (except for when I stuff it up!)

No treats in the right hand. Treats are in the left hand. Tried having them in my mouth, but I am a vego so that was a tad unpleasant! The things we do!

Haven't done any tight circles as she is a pup. she did do a quite nice figure of 8 today in class though.

She goes wide though and looks at your face but not in the fig8??

I'd still start left circles then ..do them wide and gradually tighten them and keep rewarding when she is in correct position.

She goes wide though and looks at your face but not in the fig8??

I'd still start left circles then ..do them wide and gradually tighten them and keep rewarding when she is in correct position.

Sounds like a plan! Ta!

Well guess what! I think at long last!

The training ground is wet and very muddy.

I have been working hard at getting Cindy's drops and heeling position.

Thought about not training because Cindy H-A-T-E-S the wet and mud.

Collected jackpot treats and went.

To my absolute delight (to be honest more total amazement and shock) she nailed the class. Dropped, heeled, even did a perfect SFE & COP!

Gotta love training break throughs! Now just to work out what I did to get there?

I could be reading it wrong but it looks like you need to have a CDX, UD and UDX dog in order to make up a team of three dogs. The UDX will proclude some states forming a team as there are not too many and none in some states. It also leaves a very small pool of people who are also willing to travel. I'm wondering why Novice is not included? Any ideas?

June 25th & 26th 2011

Looks like a teams event! I know who will be in the WA team..!! and no, it's not me :eek:

No Bedazzled I think it's teams of 3 in each level, and number 6 in the rules says that the same teams or individiual dogs cannot compete in more than one class. So say you Ptolomy and someone made up a team of 3 for UD, none of you guys could be in a team for the CDX or UDX as well. Well at least that's how I read it! Hopefully they'll explain it a bit clearer before the entries are due! :p

Thanks Seita. I'll keep a watch out for more info!

June 25th & 26th 2011

No Bedazzled I think it's teams of 3 in each level, and number 6 in the rules says that the same teams or individiual dogs cannot compete in more than one class. So say you Ptolomy and someone made up a team of 3 for UD, none of you guys could be in a team for the CDX or UDX as well. Well at least that's how I read it! Hopefully they'll explain it a bit clearer before the entries are due! :p

Well I have decided Ness is definitely a witch. Mock Trial today and I treated it exactly like a normal trial. No treats on me and just one to warm her up as I would normally. Did a seekback and she was fine with the present so I jackpotted to a container I had given to a friend standing outside the ring. That screwed up my sendaway though because she is so use to me cueing her as we heel back up the ring. Ah well interesting to see she can manage a seekback fine so bugger it if I know what has gone so wrong the past 3 trials.

Rivsky was also there and Riv did some lovely work in UD considering they have never really strung any of it together in a mock trial setting before today. Good stuff. He has a ton of potential and was working very very well ;).

Edited by ness

Am very happy with both my boys after the obedience mock trial this morning.

As Ness said was Riv's first time in a UD ring and putting exercises together and he did a great job for a first attempt although did have some interesting moments like deciding to sit in the box on the finish for the gloves ;)

Zuma also had his first time in the ring for CCD and super happy with him as well.

They both need a bit more work and I know it's a massive jump from a mock trial to a real one but today was a great start especially since I've been doing a lot of training on my own but think it might be time to join a club now!

Yep I agree Rivsky - come pick me up at training for rewarding Ness to cheaply :( . Looking forward to seeing you out at training ;) .

And yes Zum worked very well too :eek:.

Edited by ness

My question is "Who picks the teams?" and "Will they have to be nominated before the trials start?"

They really need to explain things better dont they.

I have no idea either Kath. Perhaps we apply and the top scoring dogs get selected... maybe each state does it differently. Yes hopefully we get more info closer to the trial!

Can we get it from the 'horses mouth' so to speak? If you have an email addy I could write and ask as people from interstate need to know long before the event.

My question is "Who picks the teams?" and "Will they have to be nominated before the trials start?"

They really need to explain things better dont they.

I have no idea either Kath. Perhaps we apply and the top scoring dogs get selected... maybe each state does it differently. Yes hopefully we get more info closer to the trial!