Menu At Petshop Today Is......

WildatHeart

My little girl in my sig is supposedly a Malt x Poodle, and she certainly is NO turd....or white.

Our local pet shop had one of these menu's in the front window, and when you looked at the sign what you saw behind was the puppies in their glass cages left for the night.....thank heavens they did not last long.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The moodle down the street actually looks very much like a miniature Old English Sheepdog - without any black :(

Not insinuating all moodles are turds - just the one in my street... But anyway thelinks - you don't have a moodle - YOU have a maltese x poodle (without the designer name and a rescue one at that) :thumbsup:

I know a couple of very nice Maltese/poodle crosses.

It's not the dogs' fault they're bred by people who remind me of something you'd scrape off the bottom of your boot.

If the dog's got no manners, blame the owner.

I agree! I didn't realise the why crossbreeds were frowned upon until I went to another forum and talked about my CKCS X Cavoodle! She is a beautiful dog and I would pick her again in a heartbeat!

It DID break my heart however to go into the local pet shop (when buying some Aloeveen shampoo for Poppy) to see CKCS X Maltese puppies!

It's not the dogs' fault they're bred by people who remind me of something you'd scrape off the bottom of your boot.

I agree! I didn't realise the why crossbreeds were frowned upon until I went to another forum and talked about my CKCS X Cavoodle! She is a beautiful dog and I would pick her again in a heartbeat!

It DID break my heart however to go into the local pet shop (when buying some Aloeveen shampoo for Poppy) to see CKCS X Maltese puppies!

Buy all that stuff online PD. You'll save a fortune and keep your $$$ out of the pockets of those that support puppy farmers.

Buy all that stuff online PD. You'll save a fortune and keep your $$$ out of the pockets of those that support puppy farmers.

Ahhh....Can you give me some links? I went to Pet Good Directs coz it has no pets but its owned by PP and is SO exxy so ditched that idea! Would love some online shops! :laugh:

Agree :laugh:

Hi PF. Absolutely no offence meant to Poodles, Maltese or Maltese/poodle crosses in general. Just making funnies at the way KL expressed it LMAO :( I love poodles and I'm quite fond of Maltesers :D and I'm sure they could make lovely dogs when crossed.

They make better dogs when left in their original breeds and bred by someone who knows WTF they're doing. :(

Agree :laugh:

It's the Maremmes their selling that scares me the most, that is a whole lot of dog and not something a novice pet owner can just throw in the backyard and expect to be ok.

I have been on the sharp end of that breed way too many times because silly owners see a cute fluffy white puppy in a store and don't expect such a big, strong dog in the end :(

EDT spelling

And agree :)

It's the Maramees their selling that scares me the most, that is a whole lot of dog and not something a novice pet owner can just throw in the backyard and expect to be ok.

I have been on the sharp end of that breed way too many times because silly owners see a cute fluffy white puppy in a store and don't expect such a big, strong dog in the end :laugh:

Yep I agree... they would be incredibly easy to sell, they are just adorable as puppies and even a bit older... but not for everyone - and probably NOT for people that would purchase from a pet shop in the first place...

Do pet shops provide any breed information? - written or otherwise?. (serious question too, I dont go into pet stores and I wouldn't have a clue what they provide :( )

Do that people that buy these pups have any idea of how big they can grow?

Most people would have some idea of how big most of the more 'common' breeds will grow and most of the SWF mixes are exactly that- small and fluffy, but when it comes to the less common breeds I would think that the average Joe would have no idea :laugh:

Maybe a breed information sheet detailing exercise and feeding requirements plus the size of a full grown adult dog might make people think twice.

Sadly I doubt many pet shop assistants even know what the dog look like past puppy stage :(

Only a few weeks ago my 9 year old niece was telling me about a school friend of hers that "used to have a snow dog but they had to get rid of it because it grew too big". :) Dont people consider that when they BUY the puppy???!

Guest belgian.blue

A girl at work, her parents just bought a puppy for V Day.

Pugalier from a petshop for $1OOO

I nothing against cross breeds but the price is insane :laugh:

Edited by belgian.blue

It's the Maramees their selling that scares me the most, that is a whole lot of dog and not something a novice pet owner can just throw in the backyard and expect to be ok.

I have been on the sharp end of that breed way too many times because silly owners see a cute fluffy white puppy in a store and don't expect such a big, strong dog in the end :laugh:

Yep I agree... they would be incredibly easy to sell, they are just adorable as puppies and even a bit older... but not for everyone - and probably NOT for people that would purchase from a pet shop in the first place...

Do pet shops provide any breed information? - written or otherwise?. (serious question too, I dont go into pet stores and I wouldn't have a clue what they provide :( )

Most people would have some idea of how big most of the more 'common' breeds will grow and most of the SWF mixes are exactly that- small and fluffy, but when it comes to the less common breeds I would think that the average Joe would have no idea :laugh:

Maybe a breed information sheet detailing exercise and feeding requirements plus the size of a full grown adult dog might make people think twice.

Sadly I doubt many pet shop assistants even know what the dog look like past puppy stage :(

Only a few weeks ago my 9 year old niece was telling me about a school friend of hers that "used to have a snow dog but they had to get rid of it because it grew too big". :) Dont people consider that when they BUY the puppy???!

No, no and no to most of your questions SecretKei. If they told impulse buyers of the potential reality it might not make the sale... may not paint the puppy in such a cute light. And honestly, even if they did - there are still people who wouldn't care - because it's just too cute don't you know?

Although, the GSD that I know of that came from a petshop they did give feeding tips (and a super premium brand too)... but I'm guessing that's because it's just the brand they sell as well (more so for the extra $$ than for the dogs welfare). Maybe that's a bit harsh, but I don't think most petshops have any clue...

I have been on the sharp end of that breed way too many times because silly owners see a cute fluffy white puppy in a store and don't expect such a big, strong dog in the end :)

Sadly I doubt many pet shop assistants even know what the dog look like past puppy stage :D

Only a few weeks ago my 9 year old niece was telling me about a school friend of hers that "used to have a snow dog but they had to get rid of it because it grew too big". :( Dont people consider that when they BUY the puppy???!

Pet shop at my local shopping centre had Malamutes for sale a while back and I was quite amazed to see an info sheet about them on the window :laugh: I don't know whether the breeder insisted on it though because I've never seen any info sheets for the other dogs they've had in. It was good because it talked about size, exercise requirements and shedding - the three biggies :(

The funny thing with the 'snow dog' stuff is that often people not familar with sibes and mals confuse the two, I've been asked a number of times if my bloke is a malamute and I have to say no he'd be at least 10kg bigger if he was! People don't realise it and may have seen a husky and mistaken it for a mal not realising that mals are a LOT bigger, not everyone realises the difference 10kg can make.

I hate all the stupid names pet shops and BYB make up to make the dog sound more attractive! A very SILLY friend of mine bought a so called Cavoodle. I tried for months to tell her to either buy a poodle or a cav but to no avail. So she paid around $600 for this cross breed (no offence to crosses as I have 3 - Pablo is my only pure).

She kept calling him a Cavoodle but ive finally trained her to call him what he really is....a cross

rant complete

We have a ShihTzu cross Poodle in rescue... we call him the Shitty Poo... haha! He is a bit of a grotty boy too... but not a turd... lol!

Oh, and we had a Staffy X Maltese a few months back - she was adorable. Think Staffy build with a long slightly coarse coat. She was adopted by a couple that came in one day - he was interested in a Staffy type dog, and she was interested in a Maltese type dog... you should have seen their faces when I said I could fill their requests with ONE dog... hahaha! As soon as they saw her it was love at first sight - for them and the dog...

T.

Hmm, it's a bit crap that the pet shops provide no info :rofl: But do the buyers not think to ask questions? Jeez, you ask questions when you buy a new TV or computer that you might have for only a few years. Why not about a living, breathing puppy that you will have for the next 15??!

Good to hear about the info sheets on the Mals though :( Not that I condone them being sold in a pet shop but at least it may help with placing the pup in a suitable home.

No, its in Toowoomba FTPO

:)

What's "FTPO"??

lol I'm pretty sure WildatHeart meant FTPO = First time Puppy Owner in reply to the post below :eek:

Is that at Pet Hypermarket by any chance??? :laugh::laugh:

SecretKei, they don't give you any information or care sheets.. :(

Poppydog, the Pets Good Direct near me has sold kittens before... Never went in there again.

The one near us (Hoppers Crossing) sometimes has rescue puppies/kittens for sale. Can't think where they are from though, might be the Lort Smith but it's not the LDH.

A girl at work, her parents just bought a puppy for V Day.

Pugalier from a petshop for $1OOO

I nothing against cross breeds but the price is insane :(

Wow the same price as my purebred husky, from a GOOD breeder

I bet the purchase price didn't include

Desexing

Microchipping

and ongoing support from the breeder

It's sad that some people just have no idea they could get better dogs for their money

We have a local pet shop and every time I go in there, which is alot when you are being nosey, (never buy anything though) they always have pups, kittens, chooks, birds, and those bloody stinkin ferrets. You can smell them a mile away. The animals are not always healthy, kittens have sore eyes, pups shitting everywhere. And some of the prices they put on those pups :(