My Camera Is Broken

becandcharch

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't read all the fine detail and might have missed something. But did you try Shutterbox for a quote? Best in town. I wouldn't go back to a couple of otheres mentioned in the thread in a fit. Shutterbox are on Toorak Road. Website www.shutterbox.com.au - he would be the best (imho and all that) camera repair person in greater Melbourne, they are engineers, do all makes, totally honest not devious, don't over-charge. Might be a fee for a quote if problem not immediately obvious, but it usually is. I wouldn't trust what the others have said until I checked with him. (Them: they are both brilliant). If my camera broke down within warranty, I'd still consider waiving my warranty and going straight to him, that's how confident I am I'd get the best advice and best job.

Ooh anniek, that does sound tempting now that you have thrown in your sigma!!

I'll see what this repair place says and let you know. Very kind of you once again!

PS, the place I was going is the Camera Clinic in Collingwood. I have read about these guys on a Canon forum and they seem to be highly recommended.

Have you heard of them?

Ooh anniek, that does sound tempting now that you have thrown in your sigma!!

I'll see what this repair place says and let you know. Very kind of you once again!

Well if you have my camera, I can't use the lenses - so you might as well have them too!

I sure hope you can get a fix fast!

This is a bit of an aside but I see more and more DOLers looking at doing photography as at least a part-time business. IMHO NEVER accept an assignment unless you have a backup of every vital bit you need. Relying on the kindness of strangers and your friends might work sometimes, but what if it doesn't? And it won't help you when that bad thing happens in the middle of a shoot.

There's so much more to being a pro photographer - even if you're doing it in a very small way - than simply being good at capturing a photo. You need to know that you have both your client and yourself protected thoroughly.

Ok so I went to the Camera Clinic and they can fix for $350 and have it back to me in 1-2 weeks. Its the shutter that needs replacing.

Much better than my first quote!!

PC I did call shutterbox and the guy was lovely but I couldnt make it there before he closed. He was very helpful over the phone though.

I figured I would just stick with CC as Im not sure how much cheaper he could do it for if any. Thanks for the reccomendation though.

kja its a friend who asked me to take photos of her little girl some time. It happened to be her birthday this weekend so I offered to go along and take some snaps. She said she would want to pay me so we worked out something we were both happy with.

She is more than happy for me to wait until my camera is fixed. I hardly call it accepting an assignment (granted I didn't say what it was for in my post )and I never rely on the kindness of strangers. I didnt ask anyone to offer me their camera, I was just having a winge. There just happen to be some lovely dolers that wanted to help me out.

Anyway the thread isn't about wanting to be a pro photographer its about how much it sucked that my camera broke.

Thanks again to those who offered their help :thumbsup:

Edited by becandcharch

Bugger!!! Whats with the rotten luck (first the 50mm, now your camera!) :)

Glad you got something else sorted for the weekend. $350 sounds a bit more reasonable, with a better turnaround time too.

I think I would die if that happened to me.... chin up girl :thumbsup:

Bugger!!! Whats with the rotten luck (first the 50mm, now your camera!) :rofl:

Glad you got something else sorted for the weekend. $350 sounds a bit more reasonable, with a better turnaround time too.

I think I would die if that happened to me.... chin up girl :thumbsup:

Thanks chick :) Bad run I know. Hmm I dont THINK I deserve any bad Karma! Ah well what do you do but suck it up!

Oh Bec what a pain in the bum for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you claim the repairs on your insurance???????

I have a 450 D with twin IS lense kit and 50 1.8 you are welcome to borrow if you want to make the 3.5 hour drive to Warrnambool.

If I had of know this yesterday I was in Geelong and could have dropped it off some where for you to pick up :p :p

Anyway it seems you are all sorted but let me know if you want to borrow it for a week or so.

Then you could come and meet the Warrnambool Dolers :offtopic::o :D :(

I am sure TLC would put her hand up for a meet and greet.

Cheers Janet

Great that Camera Clinic was able to get it done! They should definitely be in a master list of camera links if DOL ever develops one!!

As for my slightly OT comments, they were not specifically aimed at you or at this incident. Your camera breaking at a time when you had plans to use it simply was an excellent illustration of how Mr Murphy loves to muck with us and I thought it was timely since there's been so many people moving in this direction. No offense was intended, only sharing experience and information.

Edited by kja

I was paranoid my camera might seize up on a wildlife photography outing I booked out on a boat, so I borrowed a friend's 500D as back up. Worked out well as I affixed the wide angle lens to the 500D and the telephoto to my 30D and didn't have to change lenses once during the day and didn't have to worry about salt spray affecting the sensor. If I could afford two DSLRs, I would have two. Fortunately I have a friend happy to loan me her's.

Oh Bec what a pain in the bum for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you claim the repairs on your insurance???????

I have a 450 D with twin IS lense kit and 50 1.8 you are welcome to borrow if you want to make the 3.5 hour drive to Warrnambool.

If I had of know this yesterday I was in Geelong and could have dropped it off some where for you to pick up :o:o

Anyway it seems you are all sorted but let me know if you want to borrow it for a week or so.

Then you could come and meet the Warrnambool Dolers :confused::laugh::laugh: :D

I am sure TLC would put her hand up for a meet and greet.

Cheers Janet

Wow Bec, so many great offers. I have to be honest, Im not sure my camera is something I would even consider lending to anyone, :p maybe Im paranoid, I just figure if it was me and I borrowed something that valuable I know how I would feel if something happened to it. I know they are replacable but still. also I like having it close by as I use it daily :wave: To me it would be like someone asking could they lend my dog :D Am I just being selfish, slightly off topic am I the only one who wouldn't consider lending thier camera to someone else?

Anyway I really think you should take RJ up on her offer then you could come on a road trip with your cute doggies and of course your georgous husband and we could have a catch up!!