Fresh Start So Everyone Can Have A Go

Steve

Sandy - Ceilidh - was my sounding board in the flesh and I must have driven her mad too and I made her listen to me for hours of phone chats and cups of coffee at her grooming salon - She encouraged me and never made me feel like an idiot for not being able to let it go.

I’m not sure she ever knew what a huge part she played in the set up of the MDBA but she was there from day one helping me to think out loud.

No, I never realised how much I played a part.

I do, however, remember this lady who had a dream, and this lady talked and talked about her dream till one day that dream became real and it made me proud to be a friend of this lady.

Julie I truly miss our long phone chats and coffees because while I may have been unaware of any impact I may have had on your dream I think you also may have been unaware of your impact on me. I think I am a better person, in my knowledge and inside, for having known you. And I thank you just for being you and I congratulate you for realising your dream. Not many people do. You certainly are a :(

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came...............I saw.........................I was hooked :(

I can't remember how I found DOL but I am glad I have. I have been on for some 3 years now ( still a newbie ). I found that when I need some good information,mainly breeding now, that all I have to do is click and voila there is the info you need.

I have used the classifieds both to sell and buy. I have rescued a Red & White Border Collie. My dog & bitch are in the breed profiles and I find that extremely useful to see what is happening in other states. And the forums have been great fun.

I have made friends and I have made some enemies but most of all I have made extensive use of a site, that should it not have been here I may still be scratching my heading trying to work this whole dog thing out.

Thanks to all :eek:

Cheers

Julie

Some good reads in this thread. Thanks Steve for outlining the story behind the MDBA :(.

I'll try to reply more to Rozzie's beaut suggestion later.........'cause dins is nearly ready :eek: .

Edited by WhiteEagle

I came to dol because I googled the name of a designer breed. I stuck around because it opened my eyes to a whole other world.

I stay now because I'm hooked. :( I've met some really cool people here.

I joined after a friend suggested it, and relly liked it - i did start a thread in which people ripped into - but i survived and stuck around...lol...that was a few years ago now!

I joined DOL by accident, just over a year ago.

I have always had dogs in my life and after Mums 16 year old chihuahua died on boxing day 2008, decided to visit the pound in the hope of finding her a friend.

I came home with a german shep and a dingo x. ;) :crossfingers:

What I saw saddened and shocked me, so many beautiful dogs - without options.

To be honest as far as I knew there was only one Rescue (monicas doggy rescue) I was not aware so many other dedicated people and groups were out there, working so hard, making a difference.

I soon learned more and more. I would check the pound site to see who had gone from site and keep a note of all dogs coming into the pound.

I typed in Blacktown Pound in google and the rest is history - I found DOL. :o

I visit the urgent rescue section mostly, and general rescue also.

I like to be able to share with fellow DOLers updates on my current dogs in care, and also read other stories of other peoples experiences with their rescues/fosters.

I have laughed, cried, felt like ripping my hair out at times :( but I always come back.

I have learned so much this past 12 mths.

Thanks to DOL and everyone who contributes, many dogs are out there today, living happy & full lives...

Dogs that would otherwise, not of stood a chance.....

I'm coming! Can't wait. I had such a great time last year and I'm really looking forward to it this year. Hoping that some of my Sydney friends come along who couldn't make it to the Canberra awards.

Do you have friends........??????

But I thought you were on DOL like the rest of us cause you didn't have a life..... ;) :o :D :(:rofl: :rofl:

Oi bitch!!! :crossfingers:

I had been reading dog rescue websites for years and had been wanting to rescue a couple of dogs for a long time when I moved to Albury. My OH and I found a lost dog and linked up with the local RSPCA to rehome him desexed etc. The local RSPCA shut down and I joined forces with a local lady who had been working hard for years with enormous passion but not much rescue knowledge. I took what I'd learnt on other places and we worked together to try to change things just a little. Then....... I rescued my first pregnant dog. I needed help and badly!!! I'm not quite sure how but through Google I found Cordelia. She suggested I come here and that was it - I was hooked. Cordelia was a great influence on me in my early days - hard to believe I've been here so long now and that I'm still rescuing.

DOL is generally a great friend though there are times when I think a DOLiday wouldn't do me any harm :( .

I've made some great friends here on DOL and discovered showing dogs which I love so much. I hope that later this year I will breed my first litter so thanks to DOL not only have I become a better rescuer but I hope eventually to be both a rescue and breeder member of the MDBA.

If you had considered coming to the awards night can I highly recommend it. It was just so much fun last year!

I was brought to DOL through an email that was sent to a list I am on, that email contained a link to the thread "A dog I sold is half dead" it was Leo's thread. I signed up and my very first post was in his thread, I cried so many tears for Leo.

I have cried loads of tears since joining DOL, and I have learned so much also..

Edited by MissMolly

I joined just after I got Angus as I needed help with toilet training and have stuck around since - mainly because there is a very strong community within the dane thread.

Because of that thread many of us have gotten to know each other off the forum and there is now a strong support network there for all of us.

It was through these forums that I found a fantastic vet & vet nurse who diagnosed Angs when the other vets failed to and then provided the most amazing care.

I have never forgotten the support I got when Angs went missing and the DOLers who came and searched with me and even more so, I was pretty humbled by a lot of the comments that were posted when Angs died.

And thanks to DOL I know this amazing woman from North Sydney who's friendship and support in general I hold very dear to me.

What.. ....you have a friend too....... :crossfingers:

Nah...... there aren't any nice people in North Sydney....you must be joshing.......

I'm coming! Can't wait. I had such a great time last year and I'm really looking forward to it this year. Hoping that some of my Sydney friends come along who couldn't make it to the Canberra awards.

Do you have friends........??????

But I thought you were on DOL like the rest of us cause you didn't have a life..... :crossfingers::( ;) :o :D :(

Are you in town?

Whats your definition of town....???

Does Kampala, Uganda count as a town..????

I joined DOL only 15months ago...and I can say I am well and truly addicted *cough*5000+posts*cough*

I found DOL researching the RAW diet for Peggie...I made the mistake of wandering into the rescue section and a few days later I had another dog :crossfingers:

Gee, can't remember the year I joined (am sure it shows under my avatar) and have been a member ever since. I don't do a lot of posting but do read most of the forums. It has grown so much over the years, people come and people go but the love of animals, dogs in particular, stays the same.

I love DOL because I love chatting to like-minded people. I love showing my girls and want to breed in the future and have found the show ring forum and the breeders' community especially helpful. I love the Aussie Shepherd thread and have met some great friends through here, as well as through the forum in general. I'm currently house/dog sitting for a great friend who I met on here actually!

I have learnt so much about diet and training too.

Oh and the member marketplace! :crossfingers: Have bought some great gifts for doggy people through the commercial marketplace and picked up some great bargins for myself.

Gotta love DOL!

I joined after I read leo's story which I came across while doing some research for one of the many courses I have under taken in my life so far.

While I have been here I have learned a great deal I probably would never in my life known about and I also have been saddened to read about human's cruelty to animals in the news section.

You guys would never have known but my endless lurking on this board helped me through some of the toughest times I faced while working as a volunteer at vet clinics and animals shelters and I feel I can cope now I know I'm not the only one who feels disheartened sometimes with things in the dog world.

So I guess this I just wanted to say THANKS to you all and felt this thread was a good place to do so

--Lhok

Edited by Lhok

should be sleeping, but instead I'm on DOL :( love this place, met some truly wonderful people because of it and am truly thankful for it. Who needs sleep? :crossfingers:

ETA - I think the most wonderful thing about dogz is how it is a place which fuels my passion. I've been fortunate in my life to find things which truly inspire me and motivate me, areas of interest which ignite the spark inside and bring me immense joy - animal welfare and general doggy obsession is something which I love. From small actions which make a difference to big dreams for the future that I'm pursuing - DOL provides an avenue for debate, learning and oportunities to make a difference as well as some stellar role models for turning passion into action.

Edited by Kissindra

I came here in 2006 after being in a conversation with Teebs and Mina and they were astounded by the fact that I didn't know about DOL.

How did I not know about this place of amazing knowledge, stories to make you laugh so much that you cry:

the story involving this little creature being a prime example

2008_0210deadgnome0007.jpg

The tales told in Rainbow Bridge of those who have lost their friends who they have had with them for over a decade and those who have lost their best friend in much shorter times, I have cried countless times. Rainbow Bridge helped me so much with the loss of one of my dogs last year - although I never posted about the loss as it hurt way to much and am only now just beginning to be able to talk about him and his life, Rainbow Bridge and it's wisdom helped me through.

The Dog Sports thread is FULL of amazing ideas, trainers and of course brilliant dogs.

The people here are great! Sometimes things get heated but hey thats life.

I have gained much knowledge from DOL.