Question For Purebred Dog Owners

aussielover

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't feel guilty. I volunteer in a shelter, do breed specific rescue and sometimes when people contact me looking for a pet I will refer them to breeders in the area that I know are advertising mature dogs on dogzonline if I form an opinion that none of the dogs I currently have in care are suitable.

I have 2 x registered purebred females and 2 rescue males. I love them all equally. At some point in the future I hope to own an English Mastiff but it will more than likely come from a registered breeder rather than rescue (unless a total miracle occurs).

Do what is right for you. The only thing I would ask is don't buy from a petshop or a byb.

You are not being selfish in the least. If you were to obtain a rescue dog you might always be "pining" for the aussie shepherd so hence just follow your heart. I know that aussies are a great breed and I agree with you wholeheartedly that they are very bright, easy to train and obedient providing that they receive adequate training as with any breed really.

Considering one of the main reason dogs end up in the pound is because the owners did not choose a breed that suited their needs, lifestyle, and abilities as an owner, I would have to say that going with what you know suits you already is the responsible thing to do.

Great answer Crisovar....if people did research a breed that interested them thoroughly there would not be as many dogs ending up being dumped. How true to stick to what you know best.

When you are taking a dog on for the entirety of its life, it must be a dog who can fit in with your lifestyle and you with his, in order for you both to be happy together for many years.

I feel it would be selfish to NOT buy the dog you see suits your requirements best, and if that happens to be a pedigree dog from a reputable, registered breeder then so be it!

Don't let anybody persuade you otherwise.

Thanks for all your answers, They made me feel much better :cry:

I don't think there is an Aussie rescue group in Australia (after all who would want to dump an Aussie :confused: ), please let me know if there is.

Hi, my chosen breed is fairly rare, but I do know that the odd ones that do show up are rehomed by breeders. My breeder was actually involved in rehoming wheatens saved from a hoarding situation (that's why I love her, she's awesome).

Also we rehomed our Ziggy after his first family weren't able to keep him, so if there are rescue Aussies and you would be happy to take one, put the word out amongst the breeders?

I agree with you PF- i don't think its any better at all. When i run perfect match seminars, i talk to rescues about colour coding dogs by behaviour categories rather than age or size. (I talk to rescue groups though rather than a collective database where breed specific rescues etc can advertise- i think someone looking for a purebred dog should be able to find one and then narrow down further)

Pet rescue wouldn't be able to do any behvaiour categories/ colour coding though because it would mean all rescuers/ shelters using the same kind of assessment procedures.

I'm now off to my little dream land where that actually happens... :)

I don't think there is an Aussie rescue group in Australia (after all who would want to dump an Aussie ), please let me know if there is.

The state breed clubs tend to take care of the rescue side of things. I know that when an Aussie in a pound has been posted on the AusShep email list, there have been great lengths gone to to locate the breeder, remove the Aussie from the pound and find a suitable home for it.

There are Australian Shepherd clubs in Vic, NSW and Qld. Not sure about other states, but those ones do a sterling job of looking after the unloved Aussies.

Hell would have to freeze over before I'd choose a pound or rescue mutt over an Aussie. I have 2 already and plan on adding a third maybe later this year, all going well, but it will be well researched and absolutely no one will guilt me into anything else.

Don't feel guilty, just (as others have said), make sure you purchase from a reputable breeder.

I have 3 pedigree whippets, and will always have one, but I have to say I get a great feeling when I look at my rescue greyhound enjoying her life of leisure.

My whippets have never known any other life, they have always been spoilt :) I guess, but to Ebony every day seems to be a joy, I think she thinks, she has died and gone to heaven. :D

That gives me so much pleasure.

Trish

I have solved the rescue bit....I always have one newf rescue and one from puppy. Pure breeds also need to be rescued. sometimes it takes a little longer to find one and sometimes there are huge problems to deal with. But it makes us feel better to have the rescue dog and I still love having a dog from puppy.

So when My previous newf rescue died we took on another rescue. I took a while getting a puppy, because a small cross breed puppy snuck in, so now we really have two rescues and one newf from puppy :)

Edited by newfsie

NO NO NO

Going by that train of thought then every breeder should also be guilty of breeding litters while dogs are in pounds.

I have a rescue and pure bred and have fostered dogs but the dogs I bring into my home is my decision and mine alone.

If I treat them responsibly then it is no one else's business.

Making a choice on what is best for you is not selfish, it's responsible

You should not be prevented from getting the dog of your choice because OTHER people were selfish and allowed their dogs to end up homeless.

I always thought that my next dog I would get from a resuce group (had the same reaction from some people when I told them I was buying a purebred dog, an Aussie as well :) ), But after owning an Aussie they are probably the only dog I will own!!! Do what you feel is right, and don't let people guilt you into anything!!!!!

Edited for spelling :D

Edited by Beth86

I guess a little, but is that a bad thing - aren't we all a little selfish in some ways? Every time I buy some little luxury for myself rather than donating the money to charity, I'm technically being selfish. But we can't all be perfect every minute of every day - we'd be pretty insufferable if we were. Everyone spends money on themselves, and if your "little luxury" is buying a purebred dog, well, I don't think that's so bad.

Deep philosophical answer, sorry. :(

If you're concerned about the shelter situation, then perhaps get your purebreed and donate some money or time to a rescue. Or perhaps look for a dog of your chosen breed in rescue, and if a suitable one doesn't turn up by the time you're ready to adopt, then get your purebred puppy (in the knowledge you've at least given adoption a bash)?

But as long as you're not buying from a petshop, or supporting an unethical breeder, or contributing to the shelter problem yourself, I wouldn't let buying a puppy keep you awake at nights.

i agree

we always feel selfish..dont we?

OH just bought himself a car hes always wanted ....a boys toy that will sit in the garage on rainy days

i thought we should sponsor another child....and said so

but in the end..it is his choice...he works hard and doesnt spend much..it is for him

just as my purebred expensive dog hobby is for me

i also feel guilty not rescuing but in setting up the dog pack i was being careful what breeds to choose for the kids and what would go with what temperament wise

i couldnt afford to take the risk of things not working out...and even getting them as puppies can also be a risk...no argument there

so...im with all those who vote you buy what you want...maybe donate something to a shelter or adopt later

Gayle beat me to it. :( If you want a rescue Aussie (occasionally they do crop up) contact the breed clubs and let them know. I know of an Aussie who may be in need of rescue soon (he was a pet shop puppy).

You are the one sharing the next 10+ years with this dog, not the individuals who are trying to guilt you into a rescue. Which means finding the right dog for you is vital. By buying from a registered, ethical breeder you are supporting those who do the right thing.

ETA: If everyone got rescues and stopped getting purebreds there would no longer be purebreds around, including Aussies. That would be a terrible, terrible thing, from my point of view anyway!

I get what you mean about feeling like they are just the right breed and not being able to put your finger on it. BCs seem quite similar in many ways, but they hold very little interest for me, and yet I can't work out why? :( I know they are lovely dogs and I think they are beautiful but they have nothing on Aussies for me.

Edited by Lyndsay

only you allow others to make you feel bad or guilty about yourself or any decision you make.

so if an aussie is what you want then do it and tell them that you aren't interested in their opinions on the matter. it is your life and only you can live it and only you (and immediate family like OH and children but then it is a family decision, not yours but the principle still applies) will live day to day with your decisions.

there is never anything wrong in making a decision like this based on what you want-you've done your research and the aussie breed suits you and your life, so just do it! it isn't like you are poo-pooing all rescues or recue organisations, you are just saying that isn't what you want - NOTHING wrong with that at all.

If everyone only acquired the breed of their choice from ethical dedicated purebred breeders, there would be no need for pounds and shelters. Dedicated breeders care for their dogs and take responsibility for them for their entire lives. They don't sell to people who should not own a dog or who do not suit the breed. Their puppies, that have been bred and placed with care never end up in a shelter.

I have worked at a shelter and often wonder if dogs in general would be better off if there were no shelters. If owners had to find a suitable home for a dog themselves, if they could not keep it, or be required by law to take it to be pts, would they choose more carefully in the first place. The availability of shelters makes it very easy for irresponsible owners to take absolutely no responsibilty for their own dogs.

The only reason shelters should be needed is for owners that die or become so ill that they cannot care for the dog. Everyone else should have to make their own arrangements and not foist their problem onto the animal loving shelter staff that then have to pts dogs everyday.

Wonder how many parents would dump their kids when they got sick of them if it was as easy to dump a child as it is to dump a dog? I'm sure many off the morons that surrendered dogs where I worked, would do the same to their kids if it was allowed.

Never feel guilted into taking on someone else's problem. By choosing a suitable dog from a reputable breeder you are not contributing to the dogs in rescue problem.

I wouldn't deem you selfish for getting a purebred dog, Shelter/rescue dogs aren't for everyone.. you obviously know that aussies Fit into your life.. you may find a dog that sounds like it does too but then it turns out its completely out of control or simply just not what you wanted..

I own 2 rescues and I love them to death but they're alot of work, My first rescue boy I though was the dog for me and he turned out to be the biggest mess.. I wouldn't have replaced him for the world but I would hate to see other people have the struggle we did..

I think maybe keep an eye out through breeders who may have had a dog returned to them or rehoming, a failed show dog or even throun through aussie rescue would be a great option for you to keep open. don't let other push you into something you dont want.

Keep an eye out in rescue cos for all you know a little soul may appear out t you. But honestly stick with what your comfortable with

I was working at a shelter when I got my Aussie...I got the same comments. I wouldn;t listen, you know what you want and it's rare to find an Aussie in a shelter (unless it's Aussie rescue of course).

The only time you should feel bad about purchasing a dog is if it's from a pet shop. Supporting good breeders is a responsible thing to do, I have one purebred dog and one rescue :laugh: