What Breed To Recommend To Young Family?

ZAUBISTAR

German Pinschers when raised with kids make great family pets. they can be as active or dormant as you want them to be and also make great alarms but not overly barky. Being a medium size, they are portable and dont take a lot of room and shed minimaly.

Im another pusher for a Golden. I recently took my girl home to visit my family and she was perfect around my 3yo niece and my 10 month old niece and nephew. I was so comfortable leaving her with them that I didnt watch her the whole time and my nephew decided to grab hold of her whiskers and try to stand up! Lexi was such a good girl and just sat there and let him do it, needless to say we grabbed him as soon as we saw him but it was good to know that even as a puppy she knew that these 'little people' need special treatment

I've had schnauzers, GROOMING as someone said, and some (mine were giants and fantastic) of the smaller ones can be a little yappy/snappy depending on breeding lines.

Hi Monah

I would have to strongly disagree with this statement. :laugh: Like any dog a schnauzer will bark only if untrained. They are not yappy and I have never owned one that would snap either.

I would not recommend a Standard for a family with toddlers, as standards can be quite boisterous and would be likely to knock over a little one. A mini is an ideal family pet, as long as they are happy to have the dog professionally groomed every 6 weeks and brush a few times a week as well. They are active, often the clown, adoring of their owners, good guard dogs, and easily trained.

Dalmatians aren't easy dogs to own, they are very active, happy boisterous dogs who would easily knock all three of the kids over in one happy zoomie. They are some of the sweetest dogs though. I would personally reccomend them to a younger family but sound otherwise pretty good if they are pretty active!

A calmer Aussie Shepherd from the right breeder may also suit, if they like working dogs and are happy to put in some effort for training and exercise. Good watch dogs who aren't overly noisy (although they like to talk while playing).

What sort of personality do they want? If they like your GSD does that mean they want a people-focused breed like a working dog and some gundogs?

Thanks guys :)

Yes the dog would sleep inside.

It must be active.

From discussions today I think gundogs are taking a preference over working dogs but it depends on what they think of all th other suggestions. Also being near the water would suit a lot of retrievers I'm guessing.

What coat type suits them best, something easy care if they spend a lot of time on the beach, or are they prepared to do some grooming.

Do they mind having hair all over the house or do they want a low shedding breed?

There is an interest in smooth coats for ease of care but they like the look of the double coated breeds. Also the grass gets long around the sand dunes so we had discussions today around short coats vs long/double coats for and grass seeds.

:mad
I'd go GSP or Vizla from a quality breeder.

Is your friend able to go and check out some dogs at shows?

Or, maybe an older purebred that needs rehoming would be OK. Just less boisterous and easier to care for than a juvenile :)

I did think of a rescue, haven't discussed that yet. They went to few shows when the Royals were on last year. I think that's where the original breed ideas came from.

What about a great dane...

Very cute! I love great danes but do they suit a very active family? The dog would need to be able to handle a few Km's jog reasonably often. From what I gather energy level is not an issue where as the grooming aspect might be higher on the list. I don't think they'll rule a breed out if it ticks enough boxes but a definate is that it has to love jogging. :D

What sort of personality do they want? If they like your GSD does that mean they want a people-focused breed like a working dog and some gundogs?

From what I gather a bit of the GSD without the obsessed personality (I have them so I'm allowed to say that) :confused:

Also a lot of the breeds that they have mentioned seem to be more of the short coated gundogs so yeah I guess along those lines but on the toned down end.

The above are based on conversations so some of it is speculation, but I know them fairly well. if when I clarify they tell me different I'll let you know.

Cheers :)

Std Schnauzer in the right family can work with kids BUT people must understand the breed.

The 3 sizes of schnauzers arent the same.

minis companion dog

Std working dog

giant working dog.

We have minis & never had a snappy or yappy BUT do have some we breed who have become yappy as the owners allow it.

Stds are more vocal than minis & have had experience with both sizes for over 25 yrs.

I would own a mini/giant before a std & you do have to be the right owners for a std due to there working drive & above all extreme intelligence.Many owners are unable to cope with this breeds ability to learn & need to learn & put it all together.

A board std can be your worse nightmare BUT the breed can be the perfect fit for the right family.

I would tell them to go to some dog shows & see what they like.

As a side night to the Viz & GSP suggestions i prefer the wire varieties & find them to be less needy

Unless they are prepared to put A LOT of time & effort into training, I wouldn't recommend a Beagle - almost everyone I know who has got a Beagle has regretted it - they are escape artists, food-obsessed & hard to train because of their obsession with scent.

I know I am biased but a Standard Poodle is a great family dog - puppies can be a bit "bouncy" but they are easy to train, the coat can be kept short and they are real "People" dogs.

If they are inexperienced with dogs some of the smaller, more sedate breeds might be more suitable than the more active larger types, unless they are willing to put in the effort a young dog needs.

I'd go GSP or Vizla from a quality breeder.

I agree with the Vizsla option, low maintanence coat, perfect family dog, ive got 2 young kids and I totally trust both dogs around the kids, excellent family dog.

I had a Rough Collie growing up he was wonderful. We were 4 girls from 14 year to 6 and one boy aged 4 years. my older sister and I use to brush him and bath him, that was our job. Twice we took him to our local school pet show and he won Best groomed Dog ribbon. We each had a special connection to him. only thing is that larger breeds usually live up to 9 - 10 years . Our Collie passed at age 8. So when the one year old child is 8 or 9 years old the dog will most likely be on his death bed.

I know I am biased but a Standard Poodle is a great family dog - puppies can be a bit "bouncy" but they are easy to train, the coat can be kept short and they are real "People" dogs.

Totally agree. Standard or mini poodles are fantastic family dogs. Happy to do just about anything. Out standard plays with kids pretty much everything they can think of, from waterpolo to soccer and hide and seek. Coat, when kept short, is very easy for maintenance, and no shed (that was the key thing for us).

Edited by felix

An older, calmer Aussie Shepherd from reg breeder sounds suitable then. Or the right puppy.

I agree; an aussie shepherd would be ideal. They're clever, easy to train, obedient and would love an active lifestyle.

They started looking at dogs in ads from the pound. There was a deaf Dali there but the photos made him look quite nervous. I said it was difficult to judge a dog by photos but I had my concerns if he was deaf and nervous to put in around young kids. I think they were going to send mum over to check him out before taking the kids over.

I Suggested that looking into a rescue is a great idea and that there are rescue organizations set up for particular breeds as well. They are going to look into this option but I'm not really sure which ones exist in Tassie apart from the greyhounds. Any suggestions?

Have a look on petrescue website. There may be something suitable there.

I put in my vote for a pointer though. Their temperament is ideal for a young family. They are loving and gentle and all they need is a quick rub down weekly as far as grooming goes. And being a short hair dog theres no stress about burrs or any other nasties getting stuck in their coat every time the family goes bush walking. Fabulous dogs! (but I am a bit bias! LOL)