It Might Be Time To Make The Hardest Decision... :(

So sorry that this is happening for you. :confused:

After Jack had been hit by a car and died at the vets we brought him home to bury him, we let Lilly sniff him but she didn't seem to care and kept nagging for her dinner. However she is not really attached to other dogs, so uou might have a different outcome with two closely bonded dogs.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dogs have always reacted when one of the dogs has died. My oldest died at home, in my arms, of natural causes at 18 and a half. My other two dogs howled and the boy grieved for several weeks. THen a year later the boy died and my one remaining dog, Pepper, was devastated. He was PTS during an operation for cancer when we realised it was inoperable and he would suffer badly if we didn't do it. I brought him home and buried him next to a stream on a friends bush block. My other dog and two of his doggy friends went over to his body before he was buried and were clearly distressed. But they get over it.

To me the real issue would be that I would want the event to be as stress-free as possible for the dog that is leaving us so if I had a choice I'd have the vet come to my house. I wanted that for my boy, for him to just go to sleep in his basket and not know anything - but it didn't turn out that way......

Horts ..... :)

Where will you feel more comfortable? My guess is that wherever that is, Kuges would feel the same. At home is what I prefer, for the dog's comfort of familiarity and also for my own sake.

Your own Vet, assuming he/she is local, is likely to agree to house calls especially for something like this.

Our vet came and put Flash to sleep under the big tree in the backyard. I cuddled her and she started snoring before she went. It was very peaceful. If you can do that, I think it would be better.

Harry came and had a sniff, and then went into our bedroom, where he stayed for ages. He missed her heaps, and is only recently becoming his funny self again, albeit very slowly. I feel he needed to know what was happening.

:):(

You gave him an excellent life.

I am so sorry Hortfurball :)

I will probably be in your position soon. I don't have any other dogs but if I have to I will get a mobile vet to come here, so that Bertie will be in his home & not distressed in an antiseptic smelling place.

:(

Horts so sorry :) It's never easy is it :(

Our vet has always come out to our house which makes it much more pleasant as we sit under our big old elm tree. We have never had the other dog out there while this is happening but allowed to come out some time to say their farewell.

Sorry to hear about this. My German Shephard was the same age and I did what you are doing, researched the crematorium (I used Lawnswood and they are fantastic) and planned on getting a mobile vet, more so my dog could die peacefully at home instead of going to the vet. I booked the mobile vet and 5 minutes later she was paralyzed and I ended up having to take her to my local vet to be PTS instead. So if you make the decision for the mobile vet, don't leave it too late.

One of my previous dogs actually died at home and the two dogs were best friends. I laid her body outside and the other dog didn't even look or sniff. Maybe because she saw her die, I'm not sure.

I do think they search for their mate and wonder why they're no longer around. I would suggest getting the mobile vet out.

Thank you all for your kind words, sympathy and advice and big hugs to those of you who will be in this position all too soon.

Last time my normal vet just came out. He actually told me not to let the other dog sniff Moss as it can be dangerous if the other dog licks any fluids.

I didn't even think of that.

To me the real issue would be that I would want the event to be as stress-free as possible for the dog that is leaving us so if I had a choice I'd have the vet come to my house.

I think I was slightly in denial yesterday and trying to think of anything BUT him, trying to busy myself with the details and not the emotions, for either him or I. Didn't work, I have a very unattractive puffy eyed look today.

He has never been overly fond of going to the vet. I'm sure he'd rather be at home. Having said that, he's moved house with me about 6 times and we don't have a big tree that he's known his whole life. We've only been here a year and a half and have only had the same vet for about three years, so we're not long term clients and I don't have an enormous rapport with them and nor does Kuges. Hard call whether I get them to come out or go with the mobile vet. He does tend to have a preference for women so perhaps I'll take that into consideration. I'm pretty sure we'll do it at home, it's where he'll be happiest. Ella is very bonded to him, he's fairly bonded to her but not as much as she is, she's 8 and has never known anything but having him in her life.

No change this morning, I'm going to see what my friend says this arvo after work.

Your own Vet, assuming he/she is local, is likely to agree to house calls especially for something like this.

I've been lucky. Our own local vet has been willing to come.

I like the idea of our dog having their last moments in the peace & security of his or her own home.

Big hugs coming your way.

I'm so sorry that this time has come but Kuges is lucky to have you to make the tough calls for him.

I have the vet come to the house and have always let the other dogs sniff their pack mates body after wards. I have no idea if it helps the remaining dogs or not, none ever seemed any different. But I personally prefer my dogs done at home rather than the vet.

Horty I am so sorry that it seems the time has come for old Kuges. I have done both - taken a dog to the vet and come home alone and had the vet come to the house. I do believe that whilst the remaining dog may not show any particular emotion about a 'dead' dog, they are more calm after the old dog has been removed for cremation. They seem to understand that the dog was dead. When I came home from the vet with no dog, the other dogs kept looking for her and took a goodly while to settle down to the fact she was not coming back.

My heart is breaking for you Horty, as I do know how hard this is. If there is anything I can do, just let me know, I am only about 15/20 minutes from your place (do you still have my phone number?)

I'm so sorry to hear.. it is never nice to have to make this decision. In your case it is especially sad.. 15 years means that Kuga is a very old friend :).

I think the mobile vet is an excellent idea. It would mean that Kuga would be in the comfort of his own home and would probably feel more at ease. I saw that you mentioned he didn't particularly like visits to the vets on page 2.. I think a mobile vet or a house call from your regular vet would be a fantastic option if this is the case. I always have my pets euthanised at home because I feel it's less stressful for them and also for me! I find I get very emotional and upset and wouldn't be comfortable doing that at a vets office.. it's just more pleasant for everyone to have our regular vet come to us.

You are making the right decision and Kuga is very lucky to have you.

Guest Willow

Horty I'm so, so sorry :laugh:

He is such a special man, and I feel very honoured to have been able to meet him.

I had a think about what I would do in your shoes, and I think if it was one of my boys, I would like it to be done at home through a mobile vet.

I'm so sorry you have to face this.

We've only been here a year and a half and have only had the same vet for about three years, so we're not long term clients and I don't have an enormous rapport with them and nor does Kuges.

Horts ..... when it was 'time' for my girl (Kal, bless her cotton socks) I had a bit of a dilemma on my hands. I hadn't had a great run with many of the vets local(ish) to me because they didn't believe me when I kept insisting something wasn't right. In fact, I know definitely from one that he thought I was crackers. The looks from others told me similar. I ventured to Werribee, eventually, and that is when they listened to me and began to investigate, and that's when we found the tumour growing on her adrenal gland.

Because events had it where I couldn't do anything, and palliative care could only be for a short but indeterminate time, and because Kal would end up shaking whenever she visited Vets, I wanted her to be home, to be as comfortable as she could be. But of course, asking the Vet (who was wonderful, caring and lovely with Kal) to drive all the way out from Werribee to here (Berwick) was not possible.

So I rang another Vet who was local, whom I didn't know was there but whom I'd heard a few recommendations for. When I rang, I apologised, because this was to be the first time he'd seen me as a client, and what an awful introduction. But he came out and both he and his accompanying Vet were both very lovely, understanding and diplomatic enough to quietly let themselves out to leave me alone with my girl and my grief. The Vet was calm, gentle and caring.

I'll add here that I took off to Queensland (ran away, so to speak) after that and when I returned I found waiting for me on the veranda, an Azalea plant together with a card expressing the Vet's condolences. It was very sweet and took a bit of the edge off me returning home.

My point being that I had never been a client of this Vet, nor had this Vet ever met Kal. But that didn't have him refusing to help me and my dog, once I'd explained circumstance. So, if you're happy enough with the Vet you see, don't think that just because you haven't known him a lifetime means that s/he won't help you.

When it was Jamie's time my vet wasn't able to get to our house till after 6.00pm so I called the mobile vet, who works at his surgery as well. She'd seen Jamie a couple of times and he was OK with her (he was OK with all his various "team" over his last couple of years, bless him), so he was pts in the house with me and Aja with him. It was nice and peaceful and was by far better than that final drive we all dread. Afterwards Aja gave him a cursory sniff and then ignored him while we waited for the man from Pets in Peace (who was really nice and gentle with him). I think it was really the best way the whole process could have been done, and I think too Aja wasn't then looking for him and wondering why he hadn't come home. The other thing is that I was a real mess that day and really don't think driving would have been a very good idea.

We have never allowed the other dogs to smell the body & in all the years have not found any issue with the dogs not being able too.

We normally go to the vets where we have arranged Finowen (WA) to pick the dog up to be cremated.We have found Finowen to be amazing compared to the others & we have tried the others over the years.They have cremated 8 of ours so far.

Some vet practises will not do home visits .

Mobile or vet is really personal & awful as this sound what is the easiest depending on how bad the dog is & the size,some large breeds when fragile can be hard to deal with on your own unless you have great family support & whether you are happy to have your pet there till the company has picked them up.

It really is personal thing

Our vet has always been great when the time has come & accommodated our phone call to come in with great compassion.

For us we now arrange Finowen to head to the vet at said time,we email what we want placed on pot(or chosen object) & then ring the vet as that is the worst phone call.

Its never a nice part of ownership & the age never makes it easier but 15 plus years of wonderful memories is something special