Hello I Am Don Burke, Yeah Right!

VC while I fully respect your comments I truly think that if this thread has given anyone reading it a reason to smile after this week and if DB is taking some rib shots well so be it. From what I have read and seen he has been a thorn in the side of many great breeds and breeders who have spent a lifetime dedicated to their passion. Some people do not accept their faults and in this case I don't think he will ever change his attitude or mind because in his over opiniated head he would then have to accept that he may have been wrong for all of these years.

I haven't seen so smily, winking or laughing emoticons in one thread all week and I hope it continues so it can even if for a second take peoples minds off what the tragedy that has befallen a family and the dog community.

I know for me when I see the term DD avertised I automatically think of the term Don's Debacle rather than Designer Dog and I am not involved in breeding, I am just very passionate about dogs in general

Edited by casowner

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

seriously ellz.... theres gotta be a way..... i can see he's a pratt. i think most can....

something you all could do is totally refuse to do any promo at all..... or find a legal way to get him to say what you want him to say... others have contracts and can enforce them.... why can the dogie people of the world?

you don't need him to like you or your breeds you just need to get him to say what you want...

hands ellz a coffee.... dicussion is the only thing that will find a solution...... circumstances change laws change....

me personally i think slanging off is a waste. bickering (in a nice way) of how to tackle him....its about changing things via changing your view.... and finding ways out of the normal to solve it.

look lots of people have told you they have tried, please give it up or you will start to look like a blinkered DB supporter.

what you are saying is based on no knowledge and some of us have lots of knowledge about this person. if people have said they have tried then they need to be shown some respect not told they havent done it right.

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

casowner- well said :)

:D nods in agreement.

In fact, until he began besmirching breeds and breeders, and promoting DD's, I actually used to LOVE the GARDENING show he had. If he'd stuck to that, I would still have been watching.

fifi

Dear sweet lord I want to punch this man in the face

:hug::cry: :cry: :mad :D

Hey check out the comments - all of them pro DD and anti PB, I bet the 'delete comment' button has been used by the uploader :cheers:

And look at the comment where someone claims to be Don Burke's close mate, interesting indeed.

Going somewhat OT here, but I really couldn't let this reply pass.

I tried to leave a comment. Which stated that DD's are mutts and the don burke is a prat.

This is the reply I got.

"Thank you for your comment on my video.

However, I believe there is a good argument for breeding hybrid "designer dogs" as pets. All the scientific research shows mutts live longer and are healthier than purebreds.

Most people just want a happy, healthy family pet. Say Boxer and vets think heart disease; say Golden Retriever and they think cancer. The incidence and severity of inherited diseases in purebred dogs increases every year, and yet traditional breeders continue with outdated practices (like inbreeding and line breeding) that continuously limit genetic diversity. The recent BBC program "Pedigree Dogs Exposed" did much to bring the health problems in purebred dogs to the attention of the general public (see http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...deoid=44215931)

In addition, changing fashions and fads in the show ring have caused some purebred breeders to exaggerate physical characteristics that make dogs more susceptible to health problems problems (bulging eyes in Pekingese, elongated backs in Dachshunds etc). Recently the RSPCA in the UK cut it's ties with the Kennel Club dog shows for "encouraging the breeding of deformed and disabled dogs" (see http://uk.reuters.com/article/domesticNews...63987020080916).

However, hybrid "Designer Dogs", can provide the best of both worlds, purebreds and mutts: the ability to carefully select the parent dogs for health and temperament, and test for inherited diseases (like you can with purebreds); and the increased health and longevity provided by genetic diversity (like mutts).

Certainly you need to be careful. There are puppy mills that have jumped on to the Designer Dog band wagon purely to make a profit.

However, there are also many dedicated hybrid breeders whose main aim is to produce healthy dogs, without the genetic problems that plague many purebreds. They carefully select the breeds they use, and test the parent dogs for any possible inherited problems. They aren't trying to produce a particular "look", or compete with purebreds - these breeders simply want to provide healthy, happy family pets."

Don't know whether to laugh or cry?

I tried to leave a comment. Which stated that DD's are mutts and the don burke is a prat.

This is the reply I got.

However, I believe there is a good argument for breeding hybrid "designer dogs" as pets. All the scientific research shows mutts live longer and are healthier than purebreds.

Most people just want a happy, healthy family pet. Say Boxer and vets think heart disease; say Golden Retriever and they think cancer. The incidence and severity of inherited diseases in purebred dogs increases every year, and yet traditional breeders continue with outdated practices (like inbreeding and line breeding) that continuously limit genetic diversity. The recent BBC program "Pedigree Dogs Exposed" did much to bring the health problems in purebred dogs to the attention of the general public (see http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...deoid=44215931)

In addition, changing fashions and fads in the show ring have caused some purebred breeders to exaggerate physical characteristics that make dogs more susceptible to health problems problems (bulging eyes in Pekingese, elongated backs in Dachshunds etc). Recently the RSPCA in the UK cut it's ties with the Kennel Club dog shows for "encouraging the breeding of deformed and disabled dogs" (see http://uk.reuters.com/article/domesticNews...63987020080916).

However, hybrid "Designer Dogs", can provide the best of both worlds, purebreds and mutts: the ability to carefully select the parent dogs for health and temperament, and test for inherited diseases (like you can with purebreds); and the increased health and longevity provided by genetic diversity (like mutts).

Certainly you need to be careful. There are puppy mills that have jumped on to the Designer Dog band wagon purely to make a profit.

However, there are also many dedicated hybrid breeders whose main aim is to produce healthy dogs, without the genetic problems that plague many purebreds. They carefully select the breeds they use, and test the parent dogs for any possible inherited problems. They aren't trying to produce a particular "look", or compete with purebreds - these breeders simply want to provide healthy, happy family pets."

The youtube channel belongs to Linny who used to post here a few years ago until she was banned for promoting DDs - she has her own forum now.

No surprise to see she is posting the same drivel she was when she was on DOL :hug:

This is the reply I got.

The youtube channel belongs to Linny who used to post here a few years ago until she was banned for promoting DDs - she has her own forum now.

No surprise to see she is posting the same drivel she was when she was on DOL :hug:

Oh really... I suppose replying will be pointless then

CALLER "My name is Don Burke from Burke s Backyard"

ME "Oh yeah this is Elle McPherson from my own yard"

CALLER "Seriously, this is Don Burke"

ME "Well what are you doing out of the garden" I said

What a hilarious start to a super weird conversation Xolo! You are super quick with the wit!

ROFLMAO :mad :D

All the charm of sandpaper undies.

:cheers::hug: Good one PF

I'd like to see an episode where they whipper-snip the snide smirk off the Burke's face along with that filthy bird's nest that resides there.

:cry::cry:

The dog is giving me strange looks because I cant stop laughing!

What a cracker of a thread!

I remember one of the last 'breed tests' that Rob Zammit did with him, poor Rob's eye's were rolling as burke sprouted 'expert breed knowledge' and kept contradicting the VET !!

The show done on my breed of interest nearly gave the breeders & pet owners a collective stroke.

It was followed up with an article in his magazine that was also full of weird statements. Like they interpreted the fact that this breed looks young into old age...as 'they never stop acting like silly puppies'. And more of the same...

By contrast, when Dr Harry's old program did a road-test on the breed.....they got the best, most experienced breeders on board to consult with.

The result was brilliant.

:D absolutley Mita, the Dr Harry road test on Irish Wolfhounds was an exercise in complete contrast !

I think there's always going to be some media poetic license, but the Dr Harry one at least strove for authenticity.

I love your sentence about collective strokes !! when the burke wolfhound one was aired on tv, I remember the phones running hot....as people in our breed expressed disgust that a full day of filming could result in a three minute (if that) horror show of misinformation !!

Same here. Our breed email list nearly melted down after our dogs got done in. Then more misinformation appeared in print in his mag.

I'll bet the wolfies copped a bucketing in the mag, as well.

Part of a plan to soften up the pet-buying punters to think DD's must be the ants' pants, in comparison???

But Dr Harry went for the authentic. Experienced & damn good breeders were his consultants for content. And, bless him, he even filmed the program in the grounds of a Tibetan Buddhist temple here in Australia. With gorgeous little Tibetan-Australian children with the dogs.

Even the dogs loved it....lovely scene with tibs perched up on rocks in the temple grounds. A trait of the breed is that they love sitting up high.

Dr H managed to get all the things that make the breed distinct into a short segment.

This is the reply I got.

No surprise to see she is posting the same drivel she was when she was on DOL :D

Oh lordy. Linny? :thumbsup::rofl:

ETA: Just had a look at her signature. :rofl:

Edited by Cody

Only gets to the 3rd sentence in that song of praise for DDs....then falls in a heap. ALL the scientific research shows mutts live longer???

Not so, dear writer of this stuff.

A rigorous Danish study showed that a bunch of pure breeds beat mixed breeds in terms of longevity. Poodles & dachsunds were among them.

Only gets to the 3rd sentence in that song of praise for DDs....then falls in a heap. ALL the scientific research shows mutts live longer???

Not so, dear writer of this stuff.

A rigorous Danish study showed that a bunch of pure breeds beat mixed breeds in terms of longevity. Poodles & dachsunds were among them.

I would love a link to that study if you have one?