Hello I Am Don Burke, Yeah Right!

This morning I got a phone call

CALLER "Hello can I speak to ******"

ME "Yes this is she"

CALLER "My name is Don Burke from Burke s Backyard"

ME "Oh yeah this is Elle McPherson from my own yard"

CALLER "Seriously, this is Don Burke"

ME "Well what are you doing out of the garden" I said

Much to and froing went on before I realised it was Don Burke and not one of my crazy friends or husband playing a prank!

Quick back peddle lol He wanted to do a story on the Xoloitzcuintle and proceeded to tell me how he knew all about them as HE had been to Mexico and he had met Xolo breeders who werent really Xolo breeders and Xolos were just mongrels basically with no pedigree. ( I guess unless its an uberdoodle to him its not real!)

He then proceeded to tell me that my dogs must be miniature or medium size as he had seen HUGE ones in Mexico, I explained the heights and mine were in fact correct height with correct pedigrees, in fact all Xolos after their near extinction in the 1950's had correct pedigrees, unlike many years ago in the dark ages when dogs records were not kept!

My website is wrong as well so I guess I will have to fix all that up too! lol

Then he proceeded to tell me I was not the first and other Xolos were here and would I mate mine to a lesser height Xolo ( Cant be done under ANKC and FCI rules) and I should be able to with these other people in Australia to better the breed!

Gob smacked I told him I had a reputable breeder I got mine from and in fact I already had plans underway for the delivery of the next Xolos, but thanked him for the offer!

He then stated he wanted me and these other people to get together to meet for a story ( I wonder who is paying as they are all over east! lol) Out of the blue he states " I am a breeder you know( of plants I thought) and I dont believe in all this desexing bullshi**, I tried to explain as a ANKC breeder I am bound by ethics and rules and .... but he just kept going on about absolute nonsense.

Luckily I had to go out and was able to cut the convo short, I had never hated the Don B and wondered why everyone spoke not too highly of him. I SEE NOW WHY!

I then asked for his email so I could send him some Xolo info ( not that he needed it as he was an expert apparently!) and he read it out, I asked was that lower case or upper case he stated loudly" It doesnt matter on a computer either will get here" another fact I didnt know.

What a condescending man he was.

:)

vent over what a strange man!!

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a condescending man he was.

Agreed_ I have only ever spoken to him briefly on the phone.. and he was indeed that .

An interesting conversation to keep in your treasure store ! :) be interesting to see the story when/if it gets to air!

In thinking about this............... it came to my mind that one would think B's B/Yard PRODUCER should be th e one doing the leg work? Did a ph. number come up on your phone (caller ID) ? Dial it back and see who answers ... or do you have teh caller list thingy on your phone?

it just sounds a bit odd...

What a weird conversation! What is he doing a story for, I didn't think he even had a show anymore :heart:

He has a magazine and a radio show, he wanted to do a story on the Xolo but as someone else was here before me I guess he should really do the story on them! lolololol

In thinking about this............... it came to my mind that one would think B's B/Yard PRODUCER should be th e one doing the leg work? Did a ph. number come up on your phone (caller ID) ? Dial it back and see who answers ... or do you have teh caller list thingy on your phone?

it just sounds a bit odd...

No no phone number but I called his office and left a number, I have had a few odd calls lately from nosey bloody people who want to know what I am doing with the breed and imports etc! I had a niggly feel its a jealous breeder who cant get over someone beat her ( well apparently not) to import the Xolo!

I mean who cares! lol

I work in the 'meedja' and there are a thousand well known anecdotes about what a truly awful man he is. I have never met him, but a friend and colleague was present at one particuarly disgusting display.

How he got away with it and became a darling of the old ladies still astounds many people. He is very controlling though, so wouldn't be surprised that he's phoning himself rather than a producer. And now that's he's not king of television, he's probably skimping on production staff (or no-one would work for him).

He does 2UE in Sydney and still has a mag.

If anyone has seen the Matty John's show take-off of him, they kinda alude to it when he the camera is turned off in the skits.

Edited by mrs tornsocks

My favourite Burkes Backwhatever moment was when they were filming Irish Wolfhounds and we were asked if we could make them "frolic". Once we stopped choking and replied in the negative, we were then asked if we could make them play "chasings"

These people really knew their dog breeds :(:doh:

Just quietly, not many people want to be chased by an IW :heart:

He is a bit of a challenge to try to have a conversation with.

He was in fcat very rude and kept talking over the top of me and correcting what I said, I mean I dont tell him how to pot his plants but he sure knew what size my dogs were and all about the breed. I may put the email to my breeder, she will tear him to shreds! Fiesty woman that one and so passionate with the breed!

OT

I emailed Lauren again Steve I hope its sorted out ( For Jed) ?