Tiger Snakes

wolfgirl

Today we were running the dogs along the footpath I had my sunnies on and looking ahead and next thing I know my sister yelled out "We just ran over a snake :cry: " and I turned around to see it, a baby tiger obviously it was sunning itself on the warm footpath and as I walked a few steps back just to make sure it was a snake and not a huge worm it put it's head up as if it was going to strike so I backed off very quickly and hung my phone as far possible and took 2 photo's.

It had the stripes so I am pretty sure it was a Tiger but I have always gone by the months with R in them are snake times and the wintery months they hibernate and I know our seasons are a bit mixed up but it has been so cold here lately and not many sunny days I have been allowing the dogs to free run along the bike tracks where the grass isn't always so short but today they didn't after seeing that snake, took me about 15 mins to calm down :hug:

Now the other thing I am really confused about it was definintely a baby and I thought babies hatched in Spring??? Anyone who knows a bit about snakes I would love to hear your responses.

Will try to find my cord to get the pictures off later.

how big was it?

Nope snakes usually breed in spring, after hibernation they feed and mate and have young in summer unless they where like our and the babies would be hatching about now or mid april :hug:

and waiting for pics :cry:

Baby Eastern Browns have stripes. They are born around Christmas time and they look like this:

Juvenile-Eastern-Brown-Snak.jpg

And this when they have grown big enough to lose their stripes (probably start of winter or been through first winter) but they are still very small:

juv20brown202.jpg

how big was it?

Nope snakes usually breed in spring, after hibernation they feed and mate and have young in summer unless they where like our and the babies would be hatching about now or mid april :D

and waiting for pics :rofl:

Trying to get pics of now :rofl:

It was less than a foot long but full of attitude :rofl: I only took a few steps back to look at it and it arked up at me so I quickly retreated a step or two and held my phone out :thumbsup: I never mess with snakes but just wanted to get some pics, it slowly slithered into the grass on the side of the footpath but kept it's eye on me.

I am just so grateful that none of us actually stepped on it, not sure how 8 paws and 4 feet missed it but thank goodness we did.

Baby Eastern Browns have stripes. They are born around Christmas time and they look like this:

Juvenile-Eastern-Brown-Snak.jpg

And this when they have grown big enough to lose their stripes (probably start of winter or been through first winter) but they are still very small:

juv20brown202.jpg

Hmm we do have browns in this area too, from what I could see the stripes weren't pronounced on the back but more to the side of it's belly and that coupled with it's size it was definately a baby snake :D

There is a theory that snakes are only seen in months with an R in them

:D :thumbsup::rofl:

Sorry have to laugh at that, there is a little truth in but generally a snake can be seen anytime of the year, just depend on the weather and then heat/coldness, we seen a red belly about 2 days ago...

so that would mean people wouldn't see snakes from May - August

This is a baby Tiger (bear in mind they can be darker or lighter):

_GJW6324wk.jpg

Little but deadly. A hatchling Eastern Brown can contain enough venom to kill 20 people. :D If you see them about during colder periods they can be slower but sometimes that makes them cranky as well...

This is a baby Tiger (bear in mind they can be darker or lighter):

_GJW6324wk.jpg

Little but deadly. A hatchling Eastern Brown can contain enough venom to kill 20 people. :D If you see them about during colder periods they can be slower but sometimes that makes them cranky as well...

Just looking at your photo this snake had the grey and the stripes weren't as pronounced.

Hi, we have a farm in Oberon (over the other side of the Blue Mountains, not that far from Jenolan Caves). It is Tiger and Brown snake heaven. We have lost two of our beloved Great Danes to Tiger Snake bite - dead in 20mins, both 80kg dogs (separate incidents). Mind you, both times they attacked the snake, not the other way around. It was only defending itself. Our next dane, we did "snake training" and she was very good and always left them alone. We also get the black snakes, red belly etc and lots of copperheads, which don't worry me as much and they are very shy.

I have seen a Tiger snake out in the snow in the middle of winter, it was a sunny day and it was just hanging out in the snow and actually lived under our tack room. I don't like them at all. If they came around the house yard they were shot and I know they are protected, but we never shot them in the paddocks, but the house yard was the one place that the dogs and kids should be able to roam around without being bitten.

Haven't seen one for ages which is great news. There is a saying though, that everytime you walk in the bush/countryside, you are only about 20 feet away from a snake, but if conditions are good, i.e. the grass is long, you don't see them. When we have had severe droughts, and there is no grass, ground cover, we see lots of them.

OMG Wolfgirl if it was 1 inch or 100 foot long

I would of been shaking in my boots brave of you to take a pic :D

I was under the impression Snakes in Australia do not Hibernate

You just see them more in

the hotter months

whether it true or not , I would rather not see them at all !!!

I think that little baby tiger snake looks cute :thumbsup:

Same here :rofl: now I like snakes and had pet ones as a kid, but I think I have a whole new world of reptile learning to do once I move over from the uk in a couple of months.....I'm just staying clear of everything to start with :D

Okay the photo's aren't that great because I stood a fair way away because I was :eek: In my photo's the snake actually looks bigger than what it was ;)

15052010_002.jpg

15052010.jpg

ITS A WORM!!! :o

Sorry its to little to tell, looks like a crack in the concrete too heheheh

I never even thought about snakes until I joined DOL. Now I'm always on the look out for them when walking Justice in areas like Bonython Park and near the River Torrens. I wouldn't take him there at all between September and March because he runs off leash and it would be too easy for him to come across one a few metres ahead of me and try to take it on. Hate snakes. :cry:

See I am the same I don't let my dogs free run in the areas we walk because they can be snakey but once May comes and it's colder I have always let them off again in the grass to run thinking we were pretty safe, rethinking our plans on where they run now after this incident as we hadn't even got to the track.

That snake looks so tiny in your photos... small enough to step on and kill it even...

T.

Haha I actually said to my sister it would be good if it were dead then I would do snake training with it :cry:

OMG Wolfgirl if it was 1 inch or 100 foot long

I would of been shaking in my boots brave of you to take a pic ;)

I was under the impression Snakes in Australia do not Hibernate

You just see them more in

the hotter months

whether it true or not , I would rather not see them at all !!!

Don't worry Griff I was shaking in fact I think I could have quite easily wet myself had it striked :o that's why I stood so far away and hung the phone out :eek: I prefer not to see them either but normally when I have it has been from about October to February.

Trouble iwth baby snakes is they have not yet learnt to control their venom output- so when they bite, you can get the whole lot! Mind you with smaller mouths/fangs there is some comfort ..... :cry:

I knew babies were likely to pack more of a punch than an adult, at least had it been an adult we would have spotted it from far away it just looked like a small bit of branch on the path, now I will be more vigilant in watching the footpaths. I always keep an eye open on the tracks and anything that looks snakey the dogs get called back and put on lead but I wouldn't have even noticed this had it been on the track either.

Okay the photo's aren't that great because I stood a fair way away because I was :o In my photo's the snake actually looks bigger than what it was :cry:

15052010_002.jpg

15052010.jpg

ITS A WORM!!! ;)

Sorry its to little to tell, looks like a crack in the concrete too heheheh

:cry::cry: That was my first reaction too but I can assure you it wasn't :cheer: I really wasn't game enough to go to close and I don't know how to use the zoom function on my phone camera and tbh I wasn't going any closer because it had attitude but it looked very similiar to the pic of the juvenile tiger that aloysha posted but greyer and the stripes not as clear yet and small in comparison so it musn't be long born :cry:

Still amazed to see a baby this time of year though :eek: