Fight!

Kirislin

My 2 old girls Penny and Kibah just had another big barney over an empty yoghurt container. I gave Penny the bowl to lick and Kibah the plastic container but naughty Penny finished hers and tried to steal Kibahs. She wouldn't stand for it.

I dont agree with Hugh Wirth who says let them go they'll sort it out. Yeah, when one is dead. I clobbered them both with my cob web duster and broke the bloody thing. Both the girls are in shock, so am I. Kibah is bleeding from her ear, I've bandaged it, and Penny looks to have alot of bruising on her neck but no actual wounds. She's walking around with her back hunched though and I went to pick her up and she whimpered. I've set up a crate and put her in there and I put Kibah in the car for the time being. I just went to get her out and she wants to stay in there so I might leave her there for the night. Dammit, I hate it when this happens. :hug: They fought a couple of years ago and I've been careful with them since then. It was just a lapse on my part, I should have been watching and made sure Penny didn't try to steal.

Edited by Kirislin

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Pandii

I hope it all settles down and tomorrow they are back to normal

I know how easy it is to forget for a second

Thinking of you

All the dogs are upset, Tag ran outside and didn't want to come in, Feather is hiding under the doona and Puck is tense and miserable. I just went out to Kibah and carried her inside to bath her bloodshot eye and see if she wanted to stay inside, but no, she went back to the gate, so I've put a coat on her, opened the car window a smidge, (I hope no spiders get in there) and put her back so she can stay the night out there.

I will take Penny to the vet tomorrow if she still looks sore, silly old ladies they are, they're much too old to be carrying on like this.

I keep checking on them, I'm worried they'll die of a heart attack, they're both so upset. :hug:

Hmmm would rescue remedy help or is it no good once they're already stressed. I have some, I just dont know if it would help them now.

Edited by Kirislin

:hug: Dog fights suck. The adrenalin leaves you feeling shakey for ages afterwards. Crate the dogs and go and have a stiff drink. Hopefully tomorrow it will all be forgotten. Don't beat yourself up. It's easy to let your guard down.

Naughty old ladies. :cry:

Happens so quickly sometimes doesn't it.

I cannot leave Whiz and Elliot alone with any toys at all. They get so posessive over them, and one day had a small tiff. As for food, with my 5 dogs who all love their tucker, I'm sure a fight would break out if they weren't separated to eat.

Hope the girls are feeling better tomorrow. :hug::cry:

Can you give both senile delinquents ( we have two the same!) a HW bottle and a little something sweet to drink/eat? They will both be a bit shocky, maybe.. .and I find this helps when our two go at it. One of our old girls shivers & shakes ..... the extra warmth/sugar helps.

Oh- and teh same for their mum! :cry:

:hug:

Can you give both senile delinquents ( we have two the same!) a HW bottle and a little something sweet to drink/eat? They will both be a bit shocky, maybe.. .and I find this helps when our two go at it. One of our old girls shivers & shakes ..... the extra warmth/sugar helps.

Oh- and teh same for their mum! :cry:

:hug:

That's a good idea, I just found the heat pad I'd been looking for, for days when I got a coat for Kibah. I offered her a banana cause she'd usually kill for one and she only ate half, unheard of for her. I'll take her out the heat pad and a bit of honey in milk.

I know how you feel, it give you an aweful shock. Hopefully all will be forgotten tomorow.

Cooper and Lacy have had probly 3 serious fights (food related) Lacy has started them and Cooper is twice her size and he doesn't fight back just tries to get her away from him poor fella. I don't agree with letting them sort it out themselves if you know it is serious you have to do something. With my two I have been right there when it happened and have just got in and picked up Lacy by the back and got her off Cooper and once they are apart its like nothing has even happened. And I never noticed any wounds at all. I would have thought that Cooper would have held a grudge but seemingly all is forgiven, Lacy is the love of his life even though she is a totally drama queen and acts like she is the boss of him. :hug:

It sucks when it hasn't happened for ages then I think we get a little complacent and when we let our guard down and least expect it that's when it happens.

You should have a stiff drink to settle your nerves as well. Hope the girls haven't done to much damage to each other!

Guest Pandii

I would never of thought warmth and sugar for the shock, thanks so much for that great hint, I will add to my doggie first aid book

Two of our girls hate each other with a passion, used to be best buddies but some how it turned ugly. They can't even be trusted through a fence, they will grab each other and won't let go. Stresses me out big time and we have to be on guard the whole time with them to make sure they are well seperated. One started it and the other took it for a long time before fighting back and now it's war unfortunately.

yep- our two bitches :cry: started their new relationship about 6 mths ago...and now cannot be left unsupervised . they both sleep in Mum's room .. and are fine with that - but often the body language is very tense outside. :hug: It's a pain in the whatsit !

yep- our two bitches :cry: started their new relationship about 6 mths ago...and now cannot be left unsupervised . they both sleep in Mum's room .. and are fine with that - but often the body language is very tense outside. :hug: It's a pain in the whatsit !

Oh boy, can I relate to that. Fortunately all of our males get along well and the other girls are fine.

Hey Kirislin, hope you're feeling a bit better - it's awful seeing them fight isn't it.

Thanks for the tip on hot/sweet drink Pers - that's something I've never thought of before.

Mine are usually so good together, but just occasionally there's a bit of a tiff. 99% of the time it involves lots of noise and raised hackles, but no real damage done. Then there is the 1% that scares the crap out of you.

I've got 2 (separated) hairies at the moment, both feeling a little sore & sorry for themselves. I hope your two are just bruised & no major damage is done.

Bugger the rescue remedy for the dogs - take it yourself ! Or a stiff drink as tlc said :hug:

unfortunately when mine fight it's deadly serious, no posturing or warning, they just throw themselves into it and try their best to kill each other. I am going to have to be very careful with them now. I thought I had been, but this was just a lapse in concentration on my part, I'd just come home from work and I was tired and didn't think about Penny being a bossy bitch trying to steal Kibahs yoghurt container. Usually they respect each others food but this was a bit different.

There is one dog that has attacked my grovel dog and failed to back off despite all the "you win" signals being made.

And it was a whippet.

I then had to work pretty hard with my dog to persuade her that most whippets aren't like that. There's one other whippet that likes to bite dogs (hard) to get a chase going, it now wears a muzzle in public. It still gets the occasional chase going without having to hurt the other dogs so isn't totally deprived.

I don't agree with Hugh Wirth RSPCA on anything much. Bugger BSL - lets stop puppy farms and feed lot (grain fed) beef.

What a bugger Kirislin.

I know what you meana bout the launch with little or no warning. Try two black Dobe bitches outside at night time! Nasty.

Maybe from now on when they are together the wear their light racing muzzles. I know they can still give nicks through them and some brusing, but might slow them down bit?

Rescue Remedy will not hurt and it can help to calm them down. Keep them nice and warm and don't pander to them too much - try and be as normal as possible (very hard I know). Any extra attention on your part may make them stress more as it is not like normal.

Whippet kisses from mine to you all