One Of My Worst Nightmares Has Happened.

baifra

My heart goes out to you and your family. We always want to find someone to blame when these things happen, and sometimes we can't find anyone, so it has to be ourselves. But you said it yourself, it doesn't bring her back. I think it is the sign of a responsible owner to want to take responsibility even for things that are just plain bad luck.

I can appreciate what it must be like for your parents. A few years ago I was away in remote Mexico when my pet rabbit contracted Myxo while in the care of my mother. She had to be pts. I was devastated, but the worst of it was that I couldn't even talk to my mother on the phone and tell her that I didn't blame her and I know she did everything she could and I was just grateful that she saw it early so my Kat didn't suffer. My mum was wracked with guilt. I don't think it would have helped if I could have spoken to her, but it was distressing for me that my mum felt so guilty.

I think it's part of the grieving process. At least you have your parents home, now, so you can share your grief. It is harder without that social support.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my god you poor thing, how devastating for you. RIP Phoebe. :rofl:

I have been in your parent's position. We went on holidays overseas last year and our 14 week old pup went to stay with our breeder. I won't go into details, but our pup was in an accident and died in his care. Of course we were utterly heartbroken at the loss of our baby boy, but when we got home and went to see the breeder - a guy who lived and worked the land so had seen death many times in animals before - his face just crumpled. He had buried our boy (his boy too) and planted a tree above him. We told him we didn't blame him and talked and reminisced about this young pup so full of life.

Share the good times you all had with Phoebe, and remember for reasons out of all our control, this can happen -- so do not for a second blame yourself.

Oh gosh how devastating ;)

RIP Phoebe :rofl:

My heart goes out to you, please please don't blame yourself it could have happened whether you fed at the regular time or not, it is one of those things where we go "what if" and that won't help you heal in any way, there are no what if's, life is just very cruel sometimes.

:eek:

I am so sorry for the loss of this beautful girl!!! Like other posters have said, please don't blame yourself - accidents happen, and this is a tragic accident.

Big hugs for you and your parents during this hard time!!

Baifra please do not blame yourself. I know that this is devastating to you and your parents, however it is a tragic accident which you are not to blame for.

Please try and be strong for yourself and your family.

RIP Phoebe.

:rofl:

Oh how sad! So sorry for your and your parents loss. It wasn't your fault it fell Baifra, she probably would have eaten it whenever it fell, as it is meant to smell attractive. Lucky that Belle didn't get to it also. I've recently lost my heart dog too, and though I know it was just a tragic accident, it is hard to keep the what-if's at bay. :rofl::eek:

So sorry to hear of Phoebe's passing and sympathy to you and your parents. Unfortunately accidents happen - we have all wished at some stage that we could turn back time and undo what has happened.

I am sure they don't blame you and thankfully you and your husband were there to take her to the vet.

Many posters will tell you that this is not your fault Baifa.

Listen to them.

This is a dreadful accident that could have happened on any day whether your parents were home or not. Many dogs seem to find snail bait highly palatable.

RIP Phoebe. :rofl:

*nods*

I have never kept snail bait in the house. However, many years ago my housemate was chatting with the neighbour and my ACD wandered into the neighbour's garage and consumed an entire box of snail bait before returning to the house. We know she ate the box as well because cardboard packaging saying "Baysol" was evident in her vomit. I was out at the time. I will never forget that night whilst she was at the veterinary clinic - we had a couple of stiff scotches and I told my housemate (who was devastated) I would never blame her no matter what the outcome. Dolly was a guts and would eat anything. It was just a tragic accident. I don't know how, but Dolly recovered and was home within a few days, although it took a few weeks to be back to her usual self.

Be kind to yourself baifra ;) Run free at the bridge, Phoebe, for you will be well remembered and cherished :eek:

she could just as easily have got it after you had fed her and left too. :rofl:

its not your fault, you can't be there 24/7.

the bait was there, thats not your fault.

take care, you are a good person.....remember that :eek: